is XP SP3 still a good OS for today's computing?

A video of my own computer (Win 7 SP1 x64) showing just how much of a non issue this actually is (sorry about the crap quality, something to do with Youtube's encoding). Best viewed at 1080p

Yes you do scroll through a window to get to a file. But you do not do what the video is demonstrating. Going up down up down up down up down very fast and doing that for several seconds. Really, do you do that?

Then in that case udedenkz i would highly suggest you hit up ebay, but several oem copies of xp pro and enjoy.

Me personally i enjoy moving away from XPs fisher price interface, its ridiculous amount of security holes, the age the o/s is showing, and so forth.

• Like 2

Yes you do scroll through a window to get to a file. But you do not do what the video is demonstrating. Going up down up down up down up down very fast and doing that for several seconds. Really, do you do that?

Yes, I did, and I showed the effects of rapidly resizing windows as well and I can assure the issue is vastly overplayed.

@Delta,

I see no task Manager. I also recommended scrolling with arrow keys for consistent scrolling speed. Additionally you might want to include Windows XP / 2003 scrolling in the video.

Otherwise video shows nothing.

Why does this matter? I have had two games open and I can still scroll through a windows explorer window just fine.

OMG doing the same thing in Chrome causes 20% CPU usage. I guess I must ditch Windows 7 then :rolleyes:

Otherwise video shows nothing.

Sure it does, it shows exactly what he mentioned earlier, on his system it's a non-issue. Most of my systems are smooth as glass as well, only one being sluggish but it's the tablet I mentioned a few times, and it's a junker 32MB onboard video.. going to be slow no matter what OS I throw at it. The only time it might be jerky for me is if it's generating a pantload of video thumbnails in the background, and frankly XP did that as well.

As far as the original video goes.. driver issue perhaps?

Why does this matter? I have had two games open and I can still scroll through a windows explorer window just fine.

OMG doing the same thing in Chrome causes 20% CPU usage. I guess I must ditch Windows 7 then :rolleyes:

Because it is a valid argument?

Chrome works just fine on all my systems (excluding the C2D one which fried a long time ago, so I can't test it).

A valid argument is if you open a windows explorer window, spend a minute or two scrolling up, down, up, down, up, down as fast as you possibly can? Like I said, who does that? I have never done that, and I have a lot of files. I just scroll ONCE, not 20,000 times incredibly fast to where I cannot read the file names.

Sure it does, it shows exactly what he mentioned earlier, on his system it's a non-issue. Most of my systems are smooth as glass as well, only one being sluggish but it's the tablet I mentioned a few times, and it's a junker 32MB onboard video.. going to be slow no matter what OS I throw at it. The only time it might be jerky for me is if it's generating a pantload of video thumbnails in the background, and frankly XP did that as well.

As far as the original video goes.. driver issue perhaps?

Well, duh, visually it won't appear on a high end system. :rolleyes:

You are implying that there has never been a good WHQL driver for NVIDIA ION or Radeon 4250 Mobile?

Please back these claims up.

Yes for testing, but no user on his day-to-day use would do such a thing.

Precisely my point, it's a non issue

Because it is a valid argument?

Chrome works just fine on all my systems (excluding the C2D one which fried a long time ago, so I can't test it).

No, it isn't. How often during daily usage do people sit there mindlessly resizing windows and scrolling up and down folders at stupid speed? rarely if ever. I can't even run XP on my computer, it bluescreens if I try to install with an "inaccessible boot device" error (even though, curiously enough, 7 and Vista work fine), so I can't compare them, but my point that it's a non issue still stands because it works perfectly well on my rig

A valid argument is if you open a windows explorer window, spend a minute or two scrolling up, down, up, down, up, down as fast as you possibly can? Like I said, who does that? I have never done that, and I have a lot of files. I just scroll ONCE, not 20,000 times incredibly fast to where I cannot read the file names.

Remind me why people use Chrome. Because it is really fast at scrolling and rendering and being responsive.

Sure to find a file X all I need to do is scroll down once, but I don't want to visually see it struggling to scroll down.

Besides I have enough videos, music files, and pictures and downloads that I *MUST* scroll. You obviously don't download, have images, a music collection, or a video collection.

Well, duh, visually it won't appear on a high end system. :rolleyes:

Ok then.. so if the problem isn't there.. what's the problem again?:rolleyes:

You are implying that there has never been a good WHQL driver for NVIDIA ION or Radeon 4250 Mobile?

Please back these claims up.

Not implying anything. Notice the question mark at the end, and the word "perhaps". I was just pointing out it's a possibility that maybe instead of Windows being at fault, that maybe it's using a generic or outdated/buggy driver. You know, that does happen from time to time. Even with XP.

Remind me why people use Chrome. Because it is really fast at scrolling and rendering and being responsive.

Sure to find a file X all I need to do is scroll down once, but I don't want to visually see it struggling to scroll down.

Besides I have enough videos, music files, and pictures and downloads that I *MUST* scroll. You obviously don't download, have images, a music collection, or a video collection.

Uh yes I do. I have a lot of pictures, music, and videos. As I said before, even when I had multiple games running, Windows Explorer still did not struggle visually on my system.

Or, you know, I know this is a dangerous precident, but... you know... use a player that actually has support for media libraries? I have almost a terabyte of content on my hard disks, and I STILL don't have this issue.

Ok then.. so if the problem isn't there.. what's the problem again?:rolleyes:

People are implying that 7 is better at everything and anything than XP on older systems and low-end modern systems.

I can't even run XP on my computer, it bluescreens if I try to install with an "inaccessible boot device" error (even though, curiously enough, 7 and Vista work fine)

Not really the issue at hand, but are you sure that isn't just because you have AHCI turned on?

Uh yes I do. I have a lot of pictures, music, and videos. As I said before, even when I had multiple games running, Windows Explorer still did not struggle visually on my system.

But does it struggle when you open up Task Manager and compare CPU utilization with Windows XP?

"It doesn't happen on my system therefore the issue doesn't exist"

Sure to find a file X all I need to do is scroll down once, but I .don't want to visually see it struggling to scroll down.

Chrome? Smooth scrolling? Lolwut?

Chrome is a great browser, but if you want to experience real smooth scrolling, give Opera a shot, because if you're basing your standard of smooth scrolling on Chrome, you're hopelessly undercutting it.

I too cannot put Windows XP on my system, and I do not even want to try. Again, it doesnt matter. Windows 95 uses less CPU than Windows XP I bet. We now have multi-core and multi-threaded systems. 100% CPU most of the time means nothing. I can still listen to my music and open other stuff with minor lag (the music does not lag, but opening windows and programs might take an extra 3 seconds or so).

Not really the issue at hand, but are you sure that isn't just because you have AHCI turned on?

Nope, even does it when I run my controllers in IDE mode

People are implying that 7 is better at everything and anything than XP on older systems and low-end modern systems.

Well that's kind of a given, the system requirements for Windows has never, ever gone down after a new release. This has been going on since the '80s, and also isn't unique to Windows. I would have to partially agree though there that a blanket "your system can run Win7" comment is just silly. On the flip side though, a blanket "your system is old so it must run XP" is just as bad. Same tablet mentioned earlier, Celeron 900MHz with 512MB, runs Windows 7 just fine and rather happy with it. On that particular ancient-slow-as-hell-POS it actually feels a little smoother than XP. (By all rights, that junker would be better off with Win95..) I wouldn't say it'll run on anything and everything though. Plus, for me anyway, any possible minor performance hit is cancelled out by the benefits that come with using the newer OS that has a lot more functionality and features. (And frankly, handles tablets much better than XP ever did.)