[Official] Car Audio thread

Thanks a lot for your input, but yeah I DIDN'T want anything that would boom, but I failed to mention I got a FANTASTIC deal on the sub/box combo, too good to pass up, $150 for the pair (and free installation which costs about $80 here) - my friend started working at a car-audio place for the summer and he got a great deal on it for me -, so I went with it even though I didn't want something so powerful. And it is a ported box.

I plan on keeping the sub turned down fairly low, I will experiment, and again if it ends up booming too much, oh well, I spent $150, I can resell it for more. When I do look into getting a real car audio system (when I get my own car - as I said I am amateur right now and just starting out) I will be spending a lot more cash and will keep in mind the advice you gave, thank you again :)

You are gonna be one of those BOOOOOM BOOOOOM tssss tsss BOOOOM BOOOOM cars heheh. You have about 15-20watts going into your main speakers and 500 going into your sub and its in a ported box. It will be loud and obnoxious hehe. You will hear it down the street. Unfortunately you cant just turn down the amp or you wont get proper travel on the sub. Sell the stuff and get something SEALED and a decent amp/sub around 200-300 watts imo. I bet your friend is a basshead.

Ohh and yeah fantastic deal though.

NC eh nolimit06? I worked in the triangle at the shops I mentioned.

Not to bad but ported is going to be loud as hell :p What kind of music do you listen too? Sealed is better if your into quality and clarity in your sound, I listen to a bunch of metal and rock with very little rap/hip hop and sealed is perfect ;)

All kinds, but recently more rap/hip hop... Occasionally though I will put in some rock etc. - that being said, if the majority of my time I am listening to rap/hip hop I can leave the bass on, then if I switch to something like rock I could potentially turn the bass off, yes?

You are gonna be one of those BOOOOOM BOOOOOM tssss tsss BOOOOM BOOOOM cars heheh. You have about 15-20watts going into your main speakers and 500 going into your sub and its in a ported box. It will be loud and obnoxious hehe. You will hear it down the street. Unfortunately you cant just turn down the amp or you wont get proper travel on the sub. Sell the stuff and get something SEALED and a decent amp/sub around 200-300 watts imo. I bet your friend is a basshead.

Ohh and yeah fantastic deal though.

Hahaha, oh yeah my friend is a big bass guy, he has got some pretty big boomin' subs in his car.

... I am almost considering getting bigger speakers now... Just to compensate for the large bass I didn't want.

I know what I will do, I am going to see how it feels when it's in my car, then decide if I will potentially keep the large bass (as it will sound good for SOME -a lot- of the music that I listen to) and get another amp/better speakers... or sell the bass/amp and get something smaller

This is likely impractical and I am probably not aware of why I can not do this... and I don't know why I thought of it... It may not even work ... When I do get my own car... If I still have this bass, I was thinking, what if I had two 12" subs in the back with two separate amps... One in a ported box (the one I have now), one in a sealed box (one I would buy)... Could I not use just one at a time, depending on the type of music I was listening to? (I mean I guess they wouldn't be perfectly center but with that much power idk how much I would even notice since it's in such small space anyway... I imagine all amps would be tied up to the battery etc. Then I could physically turn off one amp at a time, it wouldn't be like driving down the road then turn off and on various amps just because a song would change... This is a lot of hassle I bet, and not worth it for a lot of people I imagine, it was just an idea I randomly had

I live in Goldsboro, my local shop is called Speakerworks and I am friends with the manager so I can get some pretty good deals from time to time ;)

I live in Goldsboro, my local shop is called Speakerworks and I am friends with the manager so I can get some pretty good deals from time to time ;)

Ahh cool, I worked at Audio Express and Dashboard Stereo if you know of them.

Until it was completely ripped out of my car I had...

Bought in 2007

Pioneer 7900-BT Deck

Energy 6 1/2" Speakers x 4

Infinity Perfect 12" Sub

Bassworx Sub Box

MTX 4002 AMP

MTX 4004 AMP

Stinger wiring kit w/ 1.2 farad capacitor

Dynamat

Maybe one day I'll buy a system again, but I doubt it :(

Until it was completely ripped out of my car I had...

Bought in 2007

Pioneer 7900-BT Deck

Energy 6 1/2" Speakers x 4

Infinity Perfect 12" Sub

Bassworx Sub Box

MTX 4002 AMP

MTX 4004 AMP

Stinger wiring kit w/ 1.2 farad capacitor

Dynamat

Maybe one day I'll buy a system again, but I doubt it :(

Stolen?

Yeah it was stolen parked right out in front of my friends place in 2008 :(

Rule of thumb with a nice system (bass). Turn it down 2-3 miles before you get where you are going. Sometimes people will follow you though.

Rule of thumb with a nice system (bass). Turn it down 2-3 miles before you get where you are going. Sometimes people will follow you though.

I learned that the hard way lol

Good advice for anyone who doesn't follow that rule :p

I learned that the hard way lol

Good advice for anyone who doesn't follow that rule :p

How'd they get in? (obviously I know no car is impenetrable and can be broken into)

I am just wondering specifically in this case, ****ty to hear about that, have you replaced any of it since then?

They ripped it out of a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg.

I'm not sure how they got in but I was just walking to the corner store and I saw that all my windows were down in the parking lot outside my friends place. I thought that was weird, then when I came close to the car, I saw that everything had been ripped out (except for the deck for some reason). I have since replaced the speakers with cheap ones.

I'm selling my car soon anyways, so there's no real point to replace it.

It kinda makes me sad even remembering about it.. I've tried to block it from my memory haha

How'd they get in? (obviously I know no car is impenetrable and can be broken into)

I am just wondering specifically in this case, ****ty to hear about that, have you replaced any of it since then?

tools can be bought at amazon to unlock doors....

for example

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Inflatable-Wedge-Lockout/dp/B002Z8HZ6M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310391601&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Car-Lockout-Slim-Tool/dp/B000NEEFI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310391661&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Technology-LTI145-Multi-Piece-Inflate-/dp/B0012PS4ZU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1310391690&sr=8-8

Cleanly unlock any car when you leave your keys in the car. The air bag thing is new though, it pops the door open enough to slide something in to hit the unlock button on the door, it takes less than a minute to get in cleanly without anyone noticing. Unfortunatly even though this was really made for honest people, bad people can get their hands on this and use it for bad things.

What;

-> Entire US AMPS and RE Audio Setup

a. 2x MD42 4-Channel, MD43 4-Channel, MD21 2-Channel, 2x MD2D Mono

b. Stinger SP1000D, 2x Stinger SP2150D, Stinger Pro Series 0ga

c. 4x 6.5 XXX RE Audio Comp, 3x 6.5 RE Audio, 4x TW1 RE Tweeter (2000w Total)

d. Pioneer FH-P8000BT (Headunit), Pioneer F500BT (Navigation), Memphis EQ

e. 2x 12' RE MX 1500w RMS Subwoofers (3000w Total)

f. Dynamat Xtreme 2 Layers on Entire Vehicle

Vehicle;

-> 1999 Honda Passport EX (167,000 miles as of 01/31/2011)

-> Kirker Sapphire Kandy Blue (Metallic Quicksilver Base)

-> 20' Status Custom Painted

-> 280A DC Power Alternator 15.2v Regulator Internal

29822190049_large.jpg

29822190047_large.jpg

29822190045_large.jpg

29822190039_large.jpg

29822190041_large.jpg

29822190048_large.jpg

[me]Waits to be topped.[/me]

Being topped is easy. Making that statement is childish.

Can anyone here top you, not sure. But this is a tech site on the majority so probably not.

Being topped is easy. Making that statement is childish.

Can anyone here top you, not sure. But this is a tech site on the majority so probably not.

If it counts I think my system is low line compared to what is out there :p. I work in the Tech Field so just because its a tech site doesn't mean there aren't audio junkies here. I said that because I figured someone would easily top me.

What;

-> Entire US AMPS and RE Audio Setup

a. 2x MD42 4-Channel, MD43 4-Channel, MD21 2-Channel, 2x MD2D Mono

b. Stinger SP1000D, 2x Stinger SP2150D, Stinger Pro Series 0ga

c. 4x 6.5 XXX RE Audio Comp, 3x 6.5 RE Audio, 4x TW1 RE Tweeter (2000w Total)

d. Pioneer FH-P8000BT (Headunit), Pioneer F500BT (Navigation), Memphis EQ

e. 2x 12' RE MX 1500w RMS Subwoofers (3000w Total)

f. Dynamat Xtreme 2 Layers on Entire Vehicle

Vehicle;

-> 1999 Honda Passport EX (167,000 miles as of 01/31/2011)

-> Kirker Sapphire Kandy Blue (Metallic Quicksilver Base)

-> 20' Status Custom Painted

-> 280A DC Power Alternator 15.2v Regulator Internal

[me]Waits to be topped.[/me]

Jesus. Well done. That's an incredible set up you have there!

always!

So as some of you may remember, I just got a Clarion PXW1251 Subwoofer in a Rockford Fosgate ported enclosure being powered by a Kenwood Kac-8105d amplifier...

ANYWAYS, I am enjoying it so far, still have to do some adjustments (just got it all installed yesterday)... here is the issue I am having, the subwoofer plays fine while on the radio, but when I change the source to either AUX or CD, the amp turns off... NOW before you go saying it's hooked up to some antenna wire (which I read somewhere else) it is not. I double checked and it is coming out of my Panasonic CQC700u's little blue wire which is the remote on switch.

That being said, have any of you tried/heard of/and can recommend, wiring my amp's remote-on wire to the fuse for my windshield wipers, I heard that this is a viable option, I am just unsure of it.

Any input is appreciated

Cheers

EDIT: Discovered that is not a good idea, however there are many empty fuse spaces in my fuse box, I just need to find one that is live only when the car ignition is on and I will hook my amp up to that, thanks anyways my friends!

If it counts I think my system is low line compared to what is out there :p. I work in the Tech Field so just because its a tech site doesn't mean there aren't audio junkies here. I said that because I figured someone would easily top me.

Haha people take things a bit too serious don't they? :p

That Yaris looks interesting.

Haha people take things a bit too serious don't they? :p

That Yaris looks interesting.

The only thing I take seriously is my toe in my ear...everything else is low on my radar. I just state observations.