First new lens, is this a good start?

I haven't bought any lenses for my camera yet. I have a Canon EOS 1000D and have so far stuck with the kit lens. I was looking into the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 because I like taking low light photos without flash and I was hoping to get a shallower depth of field out of some of my photos (e.g. portraits).

Is this a good start? The price was appealing to me as I've never bought a lens before, but I've heard the build quality is terrible. Also I'm not sure how constricting 50mm will be, as I'm used to some movement with my 18-55mm. Is this something you quickly get used to?

Any advice appreciated.

What's your budget like? The 50 f/1.8 is definitely a good start but has only 5 aperture blades so it will render pentagon shaped bokeh balls when stopped down.

50mm might make you feel a little constricted indoors. Maybe take a look at the 35mm as well because that comes close to the FOV of a normal 50mm lens on a crop sensor.

As for getting used to prime lens, I got used to it in a day after only attaching my 35mm to the camera. It will feel natural quickly because you simply move closer to get a tighter crop or further to take a wider shot.

I actually bought a 50/1.8 as a gift for my girlfriend and the build quality, while plasticky, is not that bad though it was slightly inferior to the build quality on the Sony 50/1.8 I had back then. It seems to pair well with her T2i (550D).

Does the Canon 50/1.8 (the latest II version) really only have 5 blades? Are they at least circular? (I did not check this).

As for feeling contrained, try setting your zoom lens on 50mm and NOT moving it, it'll give you a rough idea. The DOF will be significantly shallower with wider apertures though. BTW, what do you find yourself shooting the most?

Does the Canon 50/1.8 (the latest II version) really only have 5 blades? Are they at least circular? (I did not check this).

Well I'm actually just copying it off this 50mm f1.8 review. It's supposed to only have 5 non-rounded aperture blades.

However, it should be fine if the lens is used wide open (which will usually be the case).

I agree with Argote, zoom your lens to 50mm and walk around with it the whole day to see how "constrained" you'll feel with that focal length.

Well apparently it is true that it has 5 blades, which are not circular. Well I can see why it's cheaper than other makers' 50s.

Unfortunately though, the character of the background blur is not tremendously attractive. This is substantially due to the lens's diaphragm construction, which uses just five blades with totally straight edges (most modern designs use curved blades). This means that the moment the lens is stopped down, point highlights are rendered as pentagons

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_50_1p8_ii_c16/page4.asp

Then again, I've seen some of the results the 50/1.8 produces and they're very good.

What's your budget like? The 50 f/1.8 is definitely a good start but has only 5 aperture blades so it will render pentagon shaped bokeh balls when stopped down.

50mm might make you feel a little constricted indoors. Maybe take a look at the 35mm as well because that comes close to the FOV of a normal 50mm lens on a crop sensor.

As for getting used to prime lens, I got used to it in a day after only attaching my 35mm to the camera. It will feel natural quickly because you simply move closer to get a tighter crop or further to take a wider shot.

My budget is very low, so I'd say ~?100. The 50mm f/1.8 stood out to me because it's a lens I can actually afford to buy. Yeah, I'm concerned about 50mm being constricted indoors, especially at parties etc where there's little room to move and reposition.

As for feeling contrained, try setting your zoom lens on 50mm and NOT moving it, it'll give you a rough idea. The DOF will be significantly shallower with wider apertures though. BTW, what do you find yourself shooting the most?

Low light stuff. Indoors, unreliable lighting and that sort of thing. I prefer the photos I'm able to get without a flash and I'm hoping this lens will give me a lot more opportunities there. At the same time though, I like the flexibility I have with my current lens for taking wider shots outdoors or with groups of people - not sure how big this 50mm lens is and how easy it would be to carry around on a trip out and swap over when needed. As I said, I've only owned one lens.

Well I'm actually just copying it off this 50mm f1.8 review. It's supposed to only have 5 non-rounded aperture blades.

However, it should be fine if the lens is used wide open (which will usually be the case).

Doesn't sound too bad then!