anyone tired of no updates on some droid phones?

So I have a droid x. Since I had it I got ONE update. The droid x's have issues. The texting issue and a few other ones.motorola asked people on their forum if they had issues. My phone locks up when texting sometimes, goes blank then restarts. Other times it stops, I press the sleep button, it goes black. Then restarts. The other day it was on a desk, it rang and wouldn't let me hit answer. This even happens with nothing installed. Even after a reset, and then only the facebook application installed.

I'm ****ed. I paid alot for this phone. I've been offered a replacement, however I know people on their already several replacement and have similar issues. Google put out gingerbread and moto needs to get on the ball. I have no intrest in rooting my phone. So in july bye bye andoid and hello iphone 5. I will never again buy an android powered device. Th manufacturers don't give a **** I think. If they did they'd update their phones. Anyone feel the same?

Time to check out some custom roms. :shiftyninja:

But really, it does suck that manufacturers aren't supporting their devices like they should. It's all a ploy to get people to buy the latest and greatest, I suppose.

Time to check out some custom roms. :shiftyninja:

But really, it does suck that manufacturers aren't supporting their devices like they should. It's all a ploy to get people to buy the latest and greatest, I suppose.

I don't want to root though just invade I do send the phone back, plus I don't think it will do anything. And droid x has a locked bootloader.

Another issue is the 3g bug. It will stop working. Have to turn airplane mode on, then off and it works again. I am typing this on my phone on a full 3g service. I just had to do that. It will also go from full 3g to 1x.

Very tired... makes me not sure if I want another android phone

The problem is if they release an upgrade for an old phone people will be less likely to upgrade to a newer phone.

sigh... yup. But some really basic things need to be addressed, like bugs and stability updates, things like that.

Galaxy S here, and yup. I will never purchase another Samsung, as we (Verizon Wireless customers) have been promised that 2.2 is "coming soon" since the phone came out last year.

Your issue sounds to be more of a hardware than a software issue, I'd get it replaced under warranty, there's nothing in the ROM that should be making the phone reboot randomly

Was tired of waiting on T Mobile / Samsung Vibrant lack of updates.

Rooted, Custom Rom (Team whiskey) love it now.

Once the official 2.2 update came out tried it, Team Whiskey's custom rom still was faster and had better battery life.

There a culture clash of computer industry and telephone industry converging and the telecom industry is not use to computer industry pace (or customers demanding faster update then what telecoms want).

Your issue sounds to be more of a hardware than a software issue, I'd get it replaced under warranty, there's nothing in the ROM that should be making the phone reboot randomly

I agree. It sounds alot more like a hardware issue.

Unless you really want to **** up your phone and/or you flash dumb things, its hard to brick if you go root. IMO, if you choose a Android over a iPhone, it should be because you can root the Android (no, rooting and jailbreaking is not the same thing)

If you check out some websites a decent amount of people have similar or the same issues though so I don't think a refurb would would be different

I too have the Droid X and have all the mentioned issues as the OP's. Mostly the worst and most annoying issue is the random restarts/blank-black screens which force me to pull the battery and try again. Its pathetic really. Almost about to go back to an iPhone.

WP7 - The phone for people not wanting android or an iphone. Mines will be getting an update this month while my mates galaxy s is left behind and he bought it months before me. WP7 is lacking some features yes but your guaranteed upgrades for a few years.

I too have the Droid X and have all the mentioned issues as the OP's. Mostly the worst and most annoying issue is the random restarts/blank-black screens which force me to pull the battery and try again. Its pathetic really. Almost about to go back to an iPhone.

Yeah I hope the iphone 5 is out in july when i can upgrade. Verizon changed my upgrade to July thankfully.

I was thinking. Do you guys think the tablets will get updated more? Or less? People paid ALOT for them. So I assume they would get more updates.

But at the same time, they said androids were like the greatest thing, but we will get little to no updates.

Some new android powered phones with even dual core, are getting 2.2.

There was a rumor that Droid X was to get the gingerbread update today and all this week but then it was rejected.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/6684-droid-x-gingerbread-2-3-3-prerelease-thread.html

The guy has some good information, and video of the X running the new OS. I am following some twitters as well. I cant wait. Maybe it will fix the lock ups and other stuff.

why is it that i keep reading android "horror stories" on the net...it seems like unless you're willing to root it or install custom roms android really disappoints a lot of users...glad i didn't go that route for my phone but now im wondering if i should disregard their tablet offerings and look elsewhere when i go pick up my next mobile device

The real problem is that handheld devices (regardless of OS or manufacturer) are designed to be disposable. They want to purchase new models and toss the old one into your local landfill or recycled unhealthily in China.

why is it that i keep reading android "horror stories" on the net...it seems like unless you're willing to root it or install custom roms android really disappoints a lot of users...glad i didn't go that route for my phone but now im wondering if i should disregard their tablet offerings and look elsewhere when i go pick up my next mobile device

Manufacturers aren't supporting their phones. I say never buy a Samsung and do your best to avoid Motorola if you want updates. HTC usually updates, but they're also usually slow. The people I know with HTCs never complain about reboots or bugs, though. Updates are a problem Google has to work towards solving somehow.

I enjoy Android because I unlocked my HTC Desire Z and have CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3) on it now. My last phone was the Nexus One so I also had CyanogenMod on that. I feel like either a Nexus with the official ROM or an HTC with an unlocked bootloader are the ways to enjoy Android the most, but flashing custom ROMs is too scary for some people.

I don't know. If it takes people awhile to get updates to phones, I think it would be the same time for the tablets.

I was thinking. Do you guys think the tablets will get updated more? Or less? People paid ALOT for them. So I assume they would get more updates.

But at the same time, they said androids were like the greatest thing, but we will get little to no updates.

Some new android powered phones with even dual core, are getting 2.2.

Android tablets will be left in the dust just like the smartphones, just look at Galaxy Tab.

Android is not the only one platform with delayed or no updates. If you move to WP7, it is even worse because you expect updates but will never receive it. If you care about updates, iOS is the best. Apple is always on time with all the updates and such.

Honestly if you both have those issues I think you both have hardware issues and your phone needs replaced. I have had the Droid X since release and not had a single one of the OPs issues ever.....I honestly haven't had any issue bad enough to degrade my experience with the phone. Occasionally I will try to install something and it will not start the download for a few minutes, but it doesn't interrupt my usage of the phone.

Android is not the only one platform with delayed or no updates. If you move to WP7, it is even worse because you expect updates but will never receive it. If you care about updates, iOS is the best. Apple is always on time with all the updates and such.

Please don't spread FUD. Despite what you perceive to be delays, Microsoft have repeatedly confirmed that all users will get all updates. The current NoDo update is taking longer to roll out because MS are taking care to avoid a repeat of the problems they experienced last month with a few Samsung devices but they are committed to making updates available to all. Given that it's a brand new platform and they are attempting to do something that's never been done before (update phones from multiple OEMs on multiple networks) you might want to cut them some slack. The WP7 update process has nothing in common with the Android update process.

This is just what happens when you buy an Android phone. I'm not hating on the platform but unless you have a Google device like a Nexus One or Nexus S you will be waiting and waiting for updates and sometimes they just won't come.

When a company is releasing like 10-14 Android devices a year they wont be supporting them all (looking at you HTC) If you aren't happy with the lack of updates I recommend you return the device and get one that is more up to date or get one that you definitely know will have frequent updates like a Nexus S.