Best GPS app that doesn't rely on connection?

I have only tried Google Maps, and I really like it.

One thing I don't like is that it relies on a data connection.

Can anyone recommend me a good GPS app that works offline with some of the features of Google Maps?

Thanks,

-KJ

I thought phones need a data connection to work. That we dont have real GPS yet.

Not sure where you heard that, phones do still use the data connection in Satnav but mainly for traffic updates. A lot of them now store the maps on the card/internal storage.

I've been using CoPilot for about 3 years now across WinMo and Android and absolutely love it :)

I've heard so many stories about Cell GPS that I don't even know what to believe anymore, first E911 was supose to have GPS to locate you then I heard that its not GPS just called that and uses triangulation, then heard GPS is the same as navigation systems, then heard its kinda similar but still uses towers for positioning.... WTF is it already? Are we streatching the meaning of "GPS" to mean anything that can locate you, or does GPS mean GPS in terms of Satalite's and using 3+ of them to get lat, lon and height from locations in space based on time codes?

but seriously, every cell phone needs to have a TRUE GPS chip in it that uses satalites, not cell towers, and allow full app access to the current location if you want it to know that, not some WiFi / Cell tower best guess BS... back in the first revision of iOS that supported location, it always said I was in new jersey, that's only a whole state away from me...... :wacko:

Yea but its not like a GPS device where it can access satillites directly. ...

Most smartphones now do have a fully functional GPS chipset, ie it listens to the signals from the GPS satellites.

I've seen lots of confusion regarding this over the last couple of years because of the addition of AGPS. Phones with AGPS can use cell towers/wifi etc to locate an approximate position quickly but can also listen for satellites to get a lock which take a little longer.

If there's no cells nearby you will still get a lock but it will take longer. I have personally tried this out in Corfu with an iPhone and wifi/data roaming turned off. The lock took about 2 minutes.

All modern smart phones (iphone, HTC's etc..) have proper GPS modules, same as any sat nav, they can also use Cell towers and WiFi for location (tents to get a faster lock but is less accurate)... for example, the iPod touch (as much as this isn't a smart phone it does have google maps....but it doesn't have GPS...it uses WiFi for positioning.

TomTom and Navigon do Sat Nav apps for iOS and I think android (these you have to pay for), if your on android I think google is bringing turn by turn navigation soon for free.

Nav Free is a fairly good free one for iOS, but its user updated so can go wrong...but that's the price you pay for free.

All of these (as far as I'm aware) download the maps to your device so you don't need a data connection, except the google turn by turn, which I think still needs data.

What device do you have and we can try and narrow it down.

^ I've just done a quick search on the specs of my phone the Nokia 5800 and that uses aGPS as described by Si

yeah so you have proper GPS and Ovi maps are stored on the phone, so no data use what so ever.