kit suggestions

Hi,

Currently, I a Canon 500D - A EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II lens - A similar lens from my old camera - EF 28-90mm 1:4-5.6 III - and a EF 90-300mm 1:4.5-5.6.

I'm pretty new to photography really, and wondering what would be useful to buy? I just have a standard Canon Camera bag from a few years ago, no filters or extra accessories. What kind of kit should I definitely have as basic, and what extra things should I look into getting?

50mm f1.8 or f1.4 (depending on your budget) is the usual "next step." Also a flash will probably come in handy at some point.

I'm not sure how it is with Canon, but I know there's a huge difference between the 50mm f1.4 and 1.8. If you're considering a 50mm lens and can afford it, absolutely go for the 1.4. My local camera shop let me test drive the 1.4 and 1.8 for a day to see which I wanted, and I found the 1.4 MUCH sharper at a wider range of apertures. I'd imagine Canon lenses are similar in this regard.

Thanks for the suggestions, the f1.4 isn't something I could afford realistically for some time. The canon f1.8 has mixed reviews, criticizing the build quality, but saying you can also get some really sharp photos with it. I have some old flashes from an old film camera, although I have no idea how to get them to work, or charge them up. I will have to take a look at them.

The only grip I hear w/ canon's 50 f1.8 is that it's made out of plastic while most other lenses are metal. I have a friend who uses it as his main lens. If you're a klutz and drop stuff all the time, then maybe don't get it. But if you generally take care of your possessions it should be fine.

Be careful with those old flashes, some of them pass high voltages through the hotshoe and could damage your camera. Google for compatibility first.

Absolutely go for the 50/1.4 if you can afford it over the 50/1.8. The 1.8 is usable, certainly, and its optics are generally sound leading to sharp, usable photos at f/2.0, and for its price, it's a pretty good buy.

However, a combination of its optical design being optimised for MTF performance and five aperture blades gives it pretty nasty bokeh, it's autofocus mechanism is awful and hunts in low light (which is exactly when you want to use a 50/1.8), and it's build quality is shocking (I've nearly snapped a 50/1.8 clean off my 40D). I haven't actually broken one yet or had a problem with it, but it's definitely not a well built lens.

Be careful with those old flashes, some of them pass high voltages through the hotshoe and could damage your camera. Google for compatibility first.

Oh yes, +100000 for that. Don't wanna fry your DSLR.

Thanks, I didn't consider that. That would have been quite bad to end up with a dead camera.

The f1.4 is currently out of my price range, but it depends how long I wait before buying it. I might make do with what I have for now, and buy a few accessories and maybe a lens converter to keep the price down, and work towards getting the better lens.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a practical, but not massively expensive tripod? I have an old one, but it's wonky and won't tighten any further, which sort of defeats the point of it.

I have a SLIK tripod... was about $120 I think.

I've read this a million times, and experienced it myself: The one thing you don't want to cheap out on is a tripod. Why? You'll keep replacing them. Cheap ones break. Cheap ones don't work. Cheap ones can't hold bigger gear as you progress and get higher quality bodies/lenses. Etc etc etc.

I went through cheap 3 tripods (ranging from $40-80) in 2 years before I got my SLIK. It's never failed me and it works and looks just as it did the day I got it ~3 years ago. It also has more features than the others ever had. Yes, tripods do have features lol. Mine came with a multi-page instruction manual. And there's tripods that have more features than mine! But that's not why I got mine; I got it for build quality and stability.

Based on my $80 tripod from Best Buy, if it's not at least $100, I wouldn't bother. "Wow that's a lot!" But think of it this way; a good tripod can last YEARS or even DECADES... so if you do more than the occasional "pictures at a party with friends" thing, I'd get a decent tripod.

That makes sense, I will look into some good ones. Hopefully will be able to find a cheaper deal however.

Does the same apply for monopods? As they are a lot cheaper to start with.

Uses for tripods and monopods are very different. I have a relatively cheap ($50) tripod and it's served me well so far, however it is a 3 axis design and not a ball head design which means it takes longer to set-up. For what I use it though, it's been decent.

The 50/1.8 is nowhere near as bad as it's been made out to be in this thread, the 50/1.4 is better but if you're not willing to pay for it the 50/1.8 can still serve you well.

That makes sense, I will look into some good ones. Hopefully will be able to find a cheaper deal however.

If you're not in a hurry, watch your local craigslist to see if any come up.