Digital Camera Models

Just a quick (and somewhat dumb) question, but needed to be asked.

Are there any differences to cameras being sold under different model names (usually the US vs Rest of the World)?

The reason I asked is that I am in need of an upgrade from my (really) old 2MP P&S digital camera for my trip to the US mid-2011; but with the current exchange rate of AUD x USD, most work out to be around >$100 cheaper if I buy it there. Thing is, a lot of them are sold with different names, to those in Australia. E.g. the Panasonic zs10 vs tz20, which are spec-identical (even called by both names on review sites)...

I'm almost sure that the reason is only for marketing. But really, why? How does it make marketing sense to confuse your customers?

usually not, but they may have different certification labels, with the Aus one havign the australian certifications it has been accepted for and the US one having the US ones.

Well the plug it comes with is different. :p But no there is no difference at all besides the name. e.g. Rebel T3i = Kiss X5 = 600D

edit: The warranty for camera bodies is usually local while lens are international.

As it has been mentioned, usually the cameras are identical except for warranty coverage and maybe regulatory approval seals. A relatively high percentage electionics sold in the US have mexican (NOM) and canadian regulatory seals and viceversa though (we see many FCC seals around here) since many brands just bundle their products by regions, so the effect is not as noticeable here.