CD ripping question

So a question for the neowin head-fiers.

Say I bought a random CD. If I decide to rip it and convert it to mp3s @ VBR V0. Does the middle point matter. eg. I would be ripping it from my samsung dvd burner on my computer make a difference? In the end it's just information being transferred from a physical media into digital media, Do I need a fancy converter in order to get decent mp3s or FLAC?

I currently buy all my mp3s digitally in the highest format available, 320kbps or VBR V0 if available.

In the end, the only way I can find out I guess is buying a CD and trying, But I really don't care for having a physical copy if only to make hi-fi digital copies of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Exact Audio Copy with LAME. There is an option to use some recommended settings in there. That's what I use for MP3. FLAC might be your best option. I believe that's the closest you can get to the original.

Hardware does matter insofar as getting a good extraction from the disk. Both EAC and dBpoweramp provide verbose EC with online CRC checks. The problem with audio CD's vs data is that they are ony too happy to interpolate the data when it encounters a scratch etc.

I like the 3/4 method so I capture an image of the disk first then encode locally like I do for video.

3/4 refers to the number of copies you maintain for archival purposes - physical, bit for bit image, working rip, and optional edited rip (for level equalization etc).