Basic camera to start with?

I am going overseas in a few months and want to take the chance to get myself a Digital Camera to take holiday photos with.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a Camera, because am not a serious Photographer, however I asking on the forums because I'm trying to avoid another bad camera experience that I have had with "point and shoot" Cameras before.

Examples of bad camera experiences:

- Taking pictures of glowing objects and night come out pitch black, no matter how much I change the aperture settings.

- Evan a minuscule amount of movement causes the whole photo to be blurry, no matter how much I change the shutter speed settings.

I am open to either another "point and shoot" (if it is decent enough and I have enough control over the settings) or a DSLR (Even if it is an old model that would have been considered 'Pro' many years ago).

I have done a basic photography course with a Film SLR, so I know the basics of photography enough not to be scared to wield a DSLR. The only thing that scares me is the price.

What can the Neowin photography boffins suggest?

For vacation/casual picture taking, I'd stick with a point and shoot. A lot of my friends, myself included, have invested in DSLRs and found them too bulky and awkward to take them around normally. Not to mention that you will run into the same problem taking pictures at night with a DSLR unless you buy a lens that's like 1.4 f-stop, those lenses will run you pretty high price-wise.

The Canon s95 is beautiful. It's a bit pricier, but it takes great photos at night or where there's lower lighting. My friend brings the camera with him when we go to the bar with everyone and I'm always surprised when we take photos because it always comes out looking like there's a lot of light. It doesn't even require a longer shutter speed or anything, it just somehow... does it.

My suggestion is to import a Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5 from the US since the prices here in Australia are rip offs.

I personally order from B&H, Adorama and Cameta. Of course you could buy a grey import model as well for a similar price but I'd prefer to know that I got mine direct from a reputable store.

about $300-$400, Australia ($300AUD = $311 USD at the moment)

That can get you a Nikon 3100 or Canon Xs. Do you plan to buy in aussieland or import?

about $300-$400, Australia ($300AUD = $311 USD at the moment)

Definitely I would suggest you a DSLR camera such as Nikon D3100 or Canon 1100D bcoz of the better sensor so better image quality and you get much more control over the camera. For Point and shoot I will suggest Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5