• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New DSLR Hobbyist

Tzvi Friedman    11

So I finally gave in and splurged on a DSLR.

Before anyone starts with "OMG PLZ DON'T SAY NIKON", it's a Nikon D3100, came with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (got the whole kit for $669, too!)

In my first month with the thing, I have been blown away by the quality this thing can produce. Granted, I'm moving up from my phone's camera, but the it really is crazy how a DSLR can just make things look better.

Either way, I'm learning all the tricks, and I have a long way to go, but I only shoot in manual, and I try to stick to RAW, so I lose some n00b points for that, right?

I'll be adding myself to the flickr lists, and please tolerate my n00biness for the time being :)

Shaun N.    569

I have been blown away by the quality this thing can produce. Granted, I'm moving up from my phone's camera

I love this bit :D

Draconian Guppy    13,038

So I finally gave in and splurged on a DSLR.

Before anyone starts with "OMG PLZ DON'T SAY NIKON", it's a Nikon D3100, came with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (got the whole kit for $669, too!)

In my first month with the thing, I have been blown away by the quality this thing can produce. Granted, I'm moving up from my phone's camera, but the it really is crazy how a DSLR can just make things look better.

Either way, I'm learning all the tricks, and I have a long way to go, but I only shoot in manual, and I try to stick to RAW, so I lose some n00b points for that, right?

I'll be adding myself to the flickr lists, and please tolerate my n00biness for the time being :)

OMG... why haven't you posted pics in our gallery :angry: you've had it a whole month and we haven't seen a single photo in the digital gallery , you should be punished by stripping your editor rank ! Grrrrrrr

Also you'll find alot of nikon love in the digital gallery. NIKON FTW

Tzvi Friedman    11

OMG... why haven't you posted pics in our gallery :angry: you've had it a whole month and we haven't seen a single photo in the digital gallery , you should be punished by stripping your editor rank ! Grrrrrrr

Also you'll find alot of nikon love in the digital gallery. NIKON FTW

ha, I've actually had exclusively Nikon hate at Neowin. Happy I'll have a home here :D

I actually had no idea there was a photography section, and I was about to make a fool of myself by suggesting it to the powers that be. Then I realized it was buried in Media Room.

Don't worry, I'll be posting plenty :p

1. ha, I've actually had exclusively Nikon hate at Neowin. Happy I'll have a home here :D

2. I actually had no idea there was a photography section, and I was about to make a fool of myself by suggesting it to the powers that be. Then I realized it was buried in Media Room.

Don't worry, I'll be posting plenty :p

1. Seriously? Almost EVERYONE in the digital gallery lab (moonman, crazzy, argote, andre, etc.) will agree on the Canikon (Canon + Nikon) duopoly for a reason

2. :| speechless !! Please provide me your username and password :shifty:

3. We need to get moar coverage in the digital gallery, granted it's not what the site is about, but then again, why not? /me starting a topic in site and forum issues :p

Tzvi Friedman    11

I don't get out of the staff areas much... Writing and handling front page issues is more than enough to keep me busy. But I try to be active elsewhere when I can.

PS I just spammed the digital gallery. Enjoy!

I don't blame ya :p still if we were on the front page, you'd know :p

Click me :shifty:

Argote    73

Nice, In addition to shooting manual, Aperture priority and (sometimes) speed priority can also be good for learning.

crazzy88ss    65

1. Seriously? Almost EVERYONE in the digital gallery lab (moonman, crazzy, argote, andre, etc.) will agree on the Canikon (Canon + Nikon) duopoly for a reason

Yea pretty much. Either way you go, you're set. I think Nikon Vs Canon is just one of those childish rivalries done by people who can't do anything else!

But uhh yea. Welcome to the forum that you didn't know about! :p

remus_lupin    10

Before anyone starts with "OMG PLZ DON'T SAY NIKON"

This rattled me.

Why anyone would EVER say that is beyond me.

But welcome :)

Go buy a fast prime and you'll be even further blown away!

I broke out my kit lens a few days ago after not using it for like 10 months... Here is how it went:

1. I took 3 pictures

2. I deleted those 3 pictures

3. I put the lens back in my bag

4. May it remain locked away for all of eternity

Maybe step four was a bit dramatic.

SojIrOu    4

Great purchase. :) Now go out and buy some more lens. A must have lens for your D3100 is the Nikon 35mm f1.8g.

Try giving aperture priority a go for landscapes/portraits and shutter priority for moving objects.

I find manual too tedious for quick snaps and only use it in special cases where there is very bright lights throwing off the metering or if I do astrophotography.

Tzvi Friedman    11

Great purchase. :) Now go out and buy some more lens. A must have lens for your D3100 is the Nikon 35mm f1.8g.

Ya, I will not be spending any more money on photography for a while, unfortunately. It was hard enough to justify this expense; it's gonna be a while before I can afford an upgrade. When I do, it will likely be for an external flash and other small accessories (polarizing lens filters, etc.). The lighting in my house is atrocious.

Prince Charming    163

Should have bought a Canon.

Oh ho ho ho. Congratulations dude :)

remus_lupin    10

Ya, I will not be spending any more money on photography for a while, unfortunately. It was hard enough to justify this expense; it's gonna be a while before I can afford an upgrade. When I do, it will likely be for an external flash and other small accessories (polarizing lens filters, etc.). The lighting in my house is atrocious.

At least find someone with a 35mm f/1.8 or rent one for a day and try it out in your house...

Even though you say your lighting is horrid, a fast prime lets in A LOT of light, and you may be able to get away with taking shots with that instead of a poor quality kit lens and external flash. I would say the 35 f/1.8 will overall be much more useful than a flash... But you have to get whatever fits how you shoot etc.

But seeing as it's cheaper for that lens (compared to a nice flash from nikon) I would still look into getting it for when you plan on upgrading!