12 Ways Consoles Are Hurting PC Gaming

PC Gaming will always be better.. consoles can't be upgraded to keep up with modern games which is why it's killing innovation in regards to games. Crysis 2 was a prime example, EA forced it out too fast for sales mostly on the console side so it lacked DX11 right out of the box for PC gamers. Battlefield 3 is said to be aimed at PC but if it's coming out for consoles you can bet it will be hurt at some point.

IM not entirely sure how there going to get BF3 on the console. On the pc side, BF3 WILL ONLY support DX10/11. It will not run on WINDOWS XP.

Having said that I not sure how there going to get it to run on Consoles that do not support the DX10/11 API's (or equevlent)

Will need a ATi 4850 or higher. Nvidia 8800GTX or higher for DX10 .

Will neee a ATi 5570 or higher. Nvidia 460 or Higher for DX 11

Oh I certainly understand that, but in many cases a controller has far too little buttons. A keyboard is customisable, you can choose your own key assignments, add/remove functions and in some cases bind commands via a engine console. You can't do that with a controller.

Really, I don't see the point in arguing what input method is better. Controllers are better for some games, and a keyboard is better for others. Keyboards don't allow analog input, which is horrible for driving games as an example. +1 for PC is you can use whatever input you want. Personally I have a KB+M, 360 Controller and G25 steering wheel which I use depending on the best input method for the game.

PC Gaming will always be better.. consoles can't be upgraded to keep up with modern games which is why it's killing innovation in regards to games.

Killing innovation? What? Just what. Seriously.

How many generic RTS have been pushed out in the last 10 years? FPS? Insert here another typical genre. I've seen so many bland, non-innovative games back when I used to play on a PC that it came out of my ears - you make it sound like the only "innovation" you can push out are a few new graphical effects.

Oh wait, we have innovation like Starcraft 2 which is a PC only title. My goodness, they sure pushed the INNOVATIVE envelope, didn't they?

Killing innovation? What? Just what. Seriously.

How many generic RTS have been pushed out in the last 10 years? FPS? Insert here another typical genre. I've seen so many bland, non-innovative games back when I used to play on a PC that it came out of my ears - you make it sound like the only "innovation" you can push out are a few new graphical effects.

Oh wait, we have innovation like Starcraft 2 which is a PC only title. My goodness, they sure pushed the INNOVATIVE envelope, didn't they?

Of course its killing innovation when there are 50 million of each console on the planet, all these console gamers play the same kinds of games, FPS, Racing Games, etc.. to the point where no dev studio is going to take a risk making an innovative game on the PC when they can just earn the big bucks by making an FPS or Racing Game for consoles. Only the big boys who have other massive revenue streams can afford to risk it.

It's a damn sight closer than an ATM, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

An ATM is a PC. A game is not an OS. Yet you pretend that a game is closer to an OS than an ATM is to a PC. Really? :rofl:

Any FPS would be far superior on a PC due to the control scheme, other genres are flat out impractical on a console.

There are FPS that get the wow effect only when they are hung up to this big TV in the living room, lights closed.

And yet I've yet to meet a game that suits a console but is impractical on a PC.

Racing games ? Platformers ?

Don?t tell me you like to drive a car... with a keyboard?

Implying everyone has a bandwidth cap and/or pirates games.

Dude... imagine you?re a developer, and need to decide for which you?ll do games : PC or consoles. Don?t tell me this argument is wrong please, it?s actually one of the reasons the PC games segment is avoided by a few developers :laugh:

Of course its killing innovation when there are 50 million of each console on the planet, all these console gamers play the same kinds of games, FPS, Racing Games, etc.. to the point where no dev studio is going to take a risk making an innovative game on the PC when they can just earn the big bucks by making an FPS or Racing Game for consoles. Only the big boys who have other massive revenue streams can afford to risk it.

Thats not true. The only Devs that take the risk to try to make something innovative and diffrenent are Indie Devs.

A few good examples of titles that are Creative that do not follow the norm. I bet as well as many have never even heard of them or seen them on Retail shelves.

FPS Style

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem. Both are First person *Shooters* Sorta, Expect you do not kill anything. For any one thats actually played these games will agree they are Innovative and A rare Gem in gaming.

EA's Mirror's Edge. Yes Another Twist on a FPS that do not following the Normal Point and click. (ok not a indie dev)

Portal was one of there grate FPS that were no were near the normal. (ok not a indie dev)

The Ball (look it up on Steam) very different and addicting

RTS Style.

Defcon. A awsome fast paces RTS that combindes true Tactics and quick thinking with out the Normal, Gather Gold, build Building and point and click boardom.

Darwina. Yes the simple and yet addicting Multiplayer RTS with none of that collecting and building stuff

World In Conflict. Not done by a Indie Dev. But for people that played it knows how wonderful this game was as well.

Others styles

Uplink Trust is a Weakness. A game that is so unquie theres nothing like it. A simple interface, A wide selection of programing tools, a gateway, and crap load or IP address, and let the Hacking begin. Only downfall was no multiplayer support.

The point is if your looking for innovated titles. Look no further then Indepentent Devs (go to steam and look under Indie). Big Devs will not try somthing new that will hurt there Shares. Indie Devs do not worrie about such drama and will dev almost anything that they think is unquie and new. (this rule dose not apply to Nintendo)

An ATM is a PC. A game is not an OS. Yet you pretend that a game is closer to an OS than an ATM is to a PC. Really? :rofl:

In that case, a Console is a PC too. Consoles are killing themselves! :whistle:

There are FPS that get the wow effect only when they are hung up to this big TV in the living room, lights closed.

Uh, no.

Not everyone is wealthy enough to afford a compensation-size TV, the same effect can be achieved with a half-decent modern monitor; and PCs can be attached to HDTVs at that.

And personally, immersion is broken when sludging around an environment with a analogue stick.

Racing games ? Platformers ?

Logitech do a wide range of PC wheels, and I've played platformers on a PC fine. The original two Oddworld games come to mind, despite being a relatively poor-quality port.

Don?t tell me you like to drive a car... with a keyboard?

No, because quite frankly I find racing games to be one of the most boring things on this planet.

Dude... imagine you?re a developer, and need to decide for which you?ll do games : PC or consoles. Don?t tell me this argument is wrong please, it?s actually one of the reasons the PC games segment is avoided by a few developers :laugh:

Valve disagree with you. The PC segment isn't avoided due to piracy, it's avoided because of lazy and/or incompetant developers.

Thats not true. The only Devs that take the risk to try to make something innovative and diffrenent are Indie Devs.

The point is if your looking for innovated titles. Look no further then Indepentent Devs (go to steam and look under Indie). Big Devs will not try somthing new that will hurt there Shares. Indie Devs do not worrie about such drama and will dev almost anything that they think is unquie and new. (this rule dose not apply to Nintendo)

I know that but Indie Devs can afford to do something different because they have nothing to lose. All these big dev studios have hundreds if not thousands of employees they cant afford to try something new and it flop people lose their jobs.

I know that but Indie Devs can afford to do something different because they have nothing to lose. All these big dev studios have hundreds if not thousands of employees they cant afford to try something new and it flop people lose their jobs.

That there was my point. For people that complain about nothing ever being innovated are people that never look at Indie Game titles.

As for what eles is hurning Gaming (console & PC gaming) Are Shares. If compines took out the *share holders and the stock market* ever one would see better and more different style of games that are beyound the norm.

Not everyone is wealthy enough to afford a compensation-size TV, the same effect can be achieved with a half-decent modern monitor; and PCs can be attached to HDTVs at that.

There?s 99% chance that your TV is bigger than your computer monitor.

To attach a PC to an HDTV, you?d need a laptop, thus poor gaming performances, or a computer especially made for that. I can?t believe you would carry your rig in the house all the time just to play a game.

No, because quite frankly I find racing games to be one of the most boring things on this planet.

Because racing games are boring for you, it doesn?t mean they don?t count.

Valve disagree with you. The PC segment isn't avoided due to piracy, it's avoided because of lazy and/or incompetant developers.

As much as I respect Valve, I don?t agree that piracy has no impact on this decision, and I would like to see the source stating that piracy doesn?t change anything.

It?s avoided due to piracy AND because it?s way longer to create a game that supports so much hardware. There?s so many video cards, processors, quad-core, dual-core, single-core, memory, graphics options, etc. to consider that developers must feel like they can?t breathe through all of this mess.

In my book, both arguments come into play.

I don't own a TV, so no.

Because racing games are boring for you, it doesn?t mean they don?t count.

Note the use of the word "personally".

As much as I respect Valve, I don?t agree that piracy has no impact on this decision.

It?s avoided due to piracy AND because it?s way longer to create a game that supports so much hardware. Both arguments come into play.

You'll have to forgive me if I place a higher value on the view of a greatly respected (in-industry and by fans) multi-billion dollar game developer over some guy on an internet forum.

And again, it's not really any easier to develop for a console than for a PC, it's just different. If anything the hardest platform to write code for is the PS3 currently, due to it's overcomplicated architechture that makes finely tuned threading a nessecity.

You'll have to forgive me if I place a higher value on the view of a greatly respected (in-industry and by fans) multi-billion dollar game developer over some guy on an internet forum.

It?s not because someone is president that he is necessarily right about anything.

It?s like saying "Oh, Balmer said that the iPhone would never sell, and since he is the CEO of a bigger company than Apple (at the time), I trust him more". Nonsense.

A lot of multi-billion dollar developers in the industry disagree with him all the way.

I don't own a TV, so no.

Ok. Well, you?re one of the rare people out there.

It?s not because someone is president that he is necessarily right about anything.

It?s like saying "Oh, Balmer said that the iPhone would never sell, and since he is the CEO of a bigger company than Apple (at the time), I trust him more". Nonsense.

A lot of multi-billion dollar developers in the industry disagree with him all the way.

Who said anything about one person? I'm talking about Valve as a whole.

Who said anything about one person? I'm talking about Valve as a whole.

Valve as a whole?

Hey, it?s not because someone works for Valve that he agrees with that. AFAIK, they?re not a herd of sheep.

To attach a PC to an HDTV, you?d need a laptop, thus poor gaming performances, or a computer especially made for that. I can?t believe you would carry your rig in the house all the time just to play a game.

Wait! What? no you don't! ANY PC (tower) can connect directly into a HDTV. My Tower is hoocked up to my HDTV right now. I could go Vga/Vga or HDMI/HDMI, Or HDMI/DVI, OR DVI/HDMI, OR DVI/DVI

Why would need a laptop to attach a PC to a HDTV again?

All Video cards come with DVI/HDMI & Dports.

All TV comes with HDMI with VGA or DVI or all 3.

Valve as a whole?

Hey, it?s not because someone works for Valve that he agrees with that. AFAIK, they?re not a herd of sheep.

Likewise?

At the end of the day, Valve's approach to piracy and their subsequent success speaks for itself.

Sure companies can try and blame the PC platform landscape for piracy, but personally I agree with Valve and say it's due to their outdated buisness models. Piracy isn't just "push button, get game free".

Wait! What? no you don't! ANY PC (tower) can connect directly into a HDTV. My Tower is hoocked up to my HDTV right now. I could go Vga/Vga or HDMI/HDMI, Or HDMI/DVI, OR DVI/HDMI, OR DVI/DVI

This. I connect my Samsung PX2370 to my Radeon 5850 via HDMI.

I don't know, in my opinion, consoles are and have made gaming a mainstream piece of entertainment. There's no reason why both can't co-exist. I frankly get tired of the bastardizing of consoles.

I wasn?t talking about the connectors. I was talking about how inconvenient it would be to carry a computer through the house, connect it, play, unconnect it, and put it back on the desktop.

You need a special setting for this in a room.

It doesn't always have to be a "PC vs. console" thing. Both platforms are great for their own reasons. For example, RTS games are clearly better on PCs whereas racing and fighting games are better on consoles. My point is, there's no point in arguing the pros and cons for each platform. Instead, we should discuss how console gaming has adversely affected PC gaming.

No, it really doesn't make sense. Still lame.

How about developing Windows 8 to run on a Cray first?

cmon, man...you get free stuff from Dice being a fanboy?

Look, this is why PC gaming is dying a slow, horrible death. They build on the top end hardware then expect everyone else to catch up :) This is a fail strategy. Unfortunately it's not going to be settled by a UK tech website but by Father Time. Stay tuned...

You still haven't mentioned why it's "lame". Also, you shouldn't compare an OS to a video game in the context of this discussion. PC gaming is suffering because developers choose to focus their attention and skill on consoles first. As I said before, this usually results in a less-than-stellar PC game that, in most cases, misses an important and unique feature of PC games like dedicated servers, key remapping, or quick saves.

I wasn?t talking about the connectors. I was talking about how inconvenient it would be to carry a computer through the house, connect it, play, unconnect it, and put it back on the desktop.

You need a special setting for this in a room.

thats not true ether. ok sure it not correct or even worth the money or effort but here ya go.

KFA2-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-460-WHDI.jpg

I really do not want to go into this as a coversion but it is a valid option.

Now my Wireless Mouse lag, My Wireless keyboard lag, & my Wireless Net lag can match my Wireless Video lag.. I will never ever notice the lag again.LOl

BTW it support 50 Feet in any dirction and if you have Blue-Tooth Keyboard and mouse thats 50 feet per a device as well. I sure I can carrie my mouse/keyboard and wireless TV adaptor any were with in the house. (Wireless TV adapter works on all HDMI connections) Plug in and play.

back on topic. Im not sure why you would want to move your tower around after its hooked up to your main HDTV to begin with. The only time I unplug and move my Tower is for a very well orginzed LAN party.

But here is the thing I do not understand, Bad Company 2 ran for me, no issues, on launch. Literally since Day 1. And I owned the game for both the 360 and PC, literally owned 2 copies at once, and not a single issue for me on PC, and in fact it was the platform I preferred to play it on. And I did nothing special to get it running. No fancy tweaks. Nothing. Just kept all my drivers up to date. And there were patches for both PC and console, so yes, some patches were needed for gameplay related things people did not like, but as far as it running, it ran no issue at all. So either I am the luckiest PC gamer in the world, or I do not know, some people have the worst luck.

And I'm sure that is true for several hundred thousand people, as is true with any game. But for me and 4 guys i work with (and hundreds of people on the DICE forums), the game was unplayable. Crash to desktops were standard fare for any match, and the longer we played the more we experienced. I've had plenty of games never crash for me, but just as many that have, after a decade of serious PC building and almost 2 decades of PC gaming enthusiasm. The choice to walk away wasn't easy, but in the end I finish more games than I ever did on PC and with generally zero issues. I've had plenty of PC games run perfectly that others screamed about, so I understand the point you are trying to make, but it isn't really a fair point since you can go to any games discussion boards and see people with issues, and they all aren't morons or have rubbish hardware or have their overclocks pushed a bit too far, sometimes code just doesn't agree with a certain combination of hardware and it can be weeks, months or maybe even never for some people to find a solution. I'm sure it's happened, but I have never personally experienced this on a console. I played Portal 2 for hours today and had zero issues on my 360, and 25 games before that, and that is all the evidence I need.

I haven't read this whole thread, because honestly, I've been reading this thread for years with slightly different titles. I've never tried to convince anyone that PC gaming was bad/dying/whatever, I just made my choice.