Anyone here have a Pentax DSLR?

I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for a beginner in DSLR. I am moving to NYC and wouldn't mind taking pictures of all the monuments, skyline, and of course people. I am going to buy the body and then figure out what lenses to get.

So far I can get the standard 18-55 mm WR lens for 70 dollars.

I am also looking at the Tamron 17-50mm lens. Any other suggestions?

It really depends what you want to shoot, for buildings, scenarios, etc. you need wide. eg. 18-55mm The nice thing about pentax is they've cheap old glass ( but really good) that is compatible with their newer bodies. Best bet would be the kit lens and when you outgrow it, invest in some decent glass.

Well for monuments, landscapes and buildings a wide angle lens as Guppy mentioned would be very useful for that (that is what's next on my lineup). The Tokina 11-16/2.8 is supposed to be really good for APS-C mount and is available for Pentax.

I'm not sure about Pentax lenses specifically but the "kit" lens is supposed to be the best in the market and a 18-55 and 17-50 would mostly overlap (I'd choose either one and keep that). The Tamron you mentioned is "legendary" as it is supposed to be very sharp.

If you get the tamron 17-50, make sure it's the newer VC version. I have the older non-VC version and while it's pretty sharp in the middle, it's super soft through the rest of it. But it's starting to be fairly old these days. Cheaper glass ages quicker, especially as you move up in quality of camera bodies.