Wii 2 Rumors

Gameinformer

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ? meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

WOOT, bout time they made this official. Nintendo takes home another win at E3.

Went ahead and changed the title to make clear the purpose here. This is to discuss rumors and keep the what ifs and maybes in one place.

Personally, about time they beef up their hardware. I'm not a fan of consoles myself (prefer the PC for that), but I do have a Wii.. I enjoy what it does but I can see people preferring a PS3/360 over it for the more "hardcore" gaming, let alone the lack of high definition. (Component video cables, ugh.)

So it will launch in late 2012, then have to compete with new Microsoft and Sony consoles in 2015-ish? Sounds more like a stopgap than anything. I think Nintendo's best bet, if it wants to do this, is make the graphics comparable to the 360 and PS3. Make games easy to port over, and then you can compete the next generation. If the graphics were superior, it'd likely push the price to a level Nintendo doesn't want to reach, as it'd cut into potential profits. Then again, I can easily see Nintendo falling short of those consoles in terms of graphical fidelity for the sake of profit, but I'm not sure what the advantage would be in that case, unless Nintendo has something more innovative up its sleeve.

Tons of information still missing, though, like the online strategy, whether it'll have Blu-ray, etc.

Man, I would HOPE it's at least as good as the PS3/Xbox in terms of graphics. They've been out for like 5 years now.

Since the N64, Nintendo consoles have never been as up to part in hardware as the competitors.

Since the N64, Nintendo consoles have never been as up to part in hardware as the competitors.

Actually, it's pretty much only the Wii and its handhelds that haven't been up to par. The GameCube was more powerful than the Playstation 2 and Dreamcast (less powerful than the Xbox), and the N64 was more powerful than the original Playstation.

True, but credit where it's due, they were pretty innovative with the Wii. Well at least innovative to making the concept a commercial success, versus a few from beforehand that never really took off. Yes, the Move and Kintect are superior now, but that's the others playing catch-up as they realized that there's a market for it. Plus also keep in mind the price differences.. few hundred bucks typically. Not going to get that kind of horsepower in a "budget" console. Different target audience.

Nintendo consoles usually had great hardware. All the crap they pulled with the Wii as in "graphics don't matter" was just marketing.

I think probably the biggest hindrance here would possibly be their OS / Home software. The 360 has a wonderful dashboard, that's always updating and live and full of content and friends and new etc, and the PS3 has a pretty decent XMB. But I have yet to see Nintendo do a good OS software - the 3DS is a decent attempt, but it still doesn't feel good enough - and I have no faith in them making a good one either.

But either way, a Zelda game with that kind of power would do me very well. Though they're probably going to left behind by the 360 / PS3 successors, they probably won't be out for a few years anyway.

@ Xilo: Hey, give them some credit, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 :p They probably didn't even know Microsoft were going to jump in with the more powerful Xbox when they finalised their specs, so they pretty much probably thought they did have the upper hand.

Good. It's about time SOMEONE started to move things forward. Maybe superior competition(from the sounds of it) will make MS and Sony finally get this retarded idea of a 10 year cycle out of their heads.

I think probably the biggest hindrance here would possibly be their OS / Home software. The 360 has a wonderful dashboard, that's always updating and live and full of content and friends and new etc, and the PS3 has a pretty decent XMB. But I have yet to see Nintendo do a good OS software - the 3DS is a decent attempt, but it still doesn't feel good enough - and I have no faith in them making a good one either.

I'm torn because I like the simpleness of the Wii but I agree that against its competition, it is really lacking.

Nintendo takes home another win at E3.

Don't count your eggs before they're hatched. If this is something like WII HD.. A Wii with HD graphics, I (among others) will probably be severely disappointed.

a second model wii might be in order... but to release a new system that much earlier than the competition.. that just stinks of the dreamcast. you'll set the bar too early for graphics, sound, and gameplay and the competition will kick it's ass.

Don't count your eggs before they're hatched. If this is something like WII HD.. A Wii with HD graphics, I (among others) will probably be severely disappointed.

I'm pretty sure that's all this will end up being. Hopefully there will be an upgraded version of the controller, too. Otherwise, like I said in another topic, it will face Dreamcast-esque problems.

But even that is more then what MS or Sony can really bring to the table.

a second model wii might be in order... but to release a new system that much earlier than the competition.. that just stinks of the dreamcast. you'll set the bar too early for graphics, sound, and gameplay and the competition will kick it's ass.

Competitors used to release consoles roughly ever four years so this might be true in years past but not now. This ten year lifespan is relatively new as Microsoft and Sony now bleed from the *** selling them at a loss for years, which is why they need to support them for so long. Any new Nintendo console could feasibly operate outside of this cycle and no one would think much of it considering that they largely drive their own consoles and don't need anyone else on board to make a profit. They've shown this strategy with their handhelds especially lately that get decidedly more expensive each time with slightly better hardware but only an extra feature or too.

It won't work if it makes the Wii seem like a waste though. All of their consoles have had some differentiation in terms of why you should make the jump. I don't think this is a new Wii simply because the console doesn't seem to be at that point. There is still a lot more they can do with it in its present state. I can't see releasing a newly revamped Wii going very far simply because they haven't done enough yet with the current one and I'm not sure what they can come up with for the next one. If they just release an HD version, they'll get people who obsess over graphics or who just want the latest thing and it'll be business as usual.

I think we already knew that the next console was going to be in HD the problem is Nintendo is so far behind everyone anymore when it comes to Graphics and detail. (albeit that completely their fault as the developers are not pushing them to enhance their devices) However, you would think they could look at their competitors and try to come up with something rather than just flopping something out there and hoping that people will buy it.

As HD graphics will be nothing new when Nintendo has it, I'm curious to know what they'll do with motion sensing. Developers haven't been able to make great use of it on the Wii, except for Nintendo in some cases.

More rumors, from the same French source.

The towering pile of rumors regarding Nintendo's next generation console, supposedly to be announced at E3, continues to grow today with a report from French news site 01net (which divined the hardware specs of the NGP before its official unveiling). Citing unnamed sources, the site claims the system is currently codenamed "Project Caf?," and adds that it does feature hardware resembling that of the Xbox 360, such as a three-core IBM PowerPC CPU.

The real meat of the report isn't in the specs of the console, but rather, its controller. According to 01net, the peripheral will feature a six-inch single-input touchscreen -- which corroborates a similar report published by CVG yesterday. The French site also says the controller features a standard set of buttons, a front-mounted camera (what?) and can even function as a Wii sensor bar, should the player choose to indulge in the console's built-in backwards compatibility. That's actually pretty believable -- after all, the same effect can be achieved using a pair of candles.

We'll keep an ear to the ground for any additional reports of a touchscreen-infused remote for the heavily rumored console. At the very least, we can be certain that over the course of the next few nights, visions of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures will be dancing through our heads.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/15/rumor-wii-2-codenamed-project-cafe-controller-includes-built-i/

Basically: about the same power as the current generation (Xbox 360 and PS3), but with another new controller method that's like using a iPad to control the console. Hard to say how that will work out, but if it's how I picture it, I can't see it working too well. It sounds more like they're getting closer to the standard controller, but making it a touchscreen with buttons, kind of like the DS.

Good. It's about time SOMEONE started to move things forward. Maybe superior competition(from the sounds of it) will make MS and Sony finally get this retarded idea of a 10 year cycle out of their heads.

If you think this will surpass 360/PS3 graphics and make them release a console early to compete I would take a 99% shot in the dark saying your wrong. It will be on-par or close to what is out now. Not better.

And the control system, I don't quite understand how its ment to work without seeing it yet, But this isn't going to wow people like the Wii did. And Kinect now has the party trick in the bag for mass consumers with no control at all. So is this trying to compete with Move and Sony a system that will always be so much greater then a Wii HD or are they hoping people who fell for the Wii the first time will again?

Not sure what there market and aim is with this one but we'll wait and see..I have trouble believing it will sell anywhere near as greatly as the Wii and this will be there current console when the new xbox and playstation launch? :wacko:

If you think this will surpass 360/PS3 graphics and make them release a console early to compete I would take a 99% shot in the dark saying your wrong. It will be on-par or close to what is out now. Not better.

And the control system, I don't quite understand how its ment to work without seeing it yet, But this isn't going to wow people like the Wii did. And Kinect now has the party trick in the bag for mass consumers with no control at all. So is this trying to compete with Move and Sony a system that will always be so much greater then a Wii HD or are they hoping people who fell for the Wii the first time will again?

Not sure what there market and aim is with this one but we'll wait and see..I have trouble believing it will sell anywhere near as greatly as the Wii and this will be there current console when the new xbox and playstation launch? :wacko:

It's really hard to judge without seeing it in action to get a better sense of how it works. But based on what's written, yeah, I don't see the control scheme being that impressive or catching on as well as the Wiimote.