Sony SLT-a55

Hey everyone,

My friend's dad just purchased a Sony SLT-a55, I am fairly up-to-date and current with the various lens offerings from Canon and Nikon, however, I would like some advice on some good quality (when compared to a kit lens) fixed focal length lenses for the Sony brand.

Something similar to Nikon's 35mm f/1.8 would probably be a good start!

Thanks in advance

I know sony has a pretty big selection of lenses... there's no nifty-fifty? Im sure their primes are going to be the best in their selection, just like it is for nikon/canon.

But yea, why'd he buy an a55? lol

I know sony has a pretty big selection of lenses... there's no nifty-fifty? Im sure their primes are going to be the best in their selection, just like it is for nikon/canon.

But yea, why'd he buy an a55? lol

Okay, like I said, I don't really know anything about Sony's and their lenses, so for decent quality/price you would say it's better to go with a prime from them opposed to a third party from sigma or some other brand.

Maybe Argote will know of a specific lens that is supposedly good for a Sony camera.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I will look into it for him, thanks!!

Sony offers a Straight up 35mm f/1.8 prime for around $200 which may be what you are looking for. http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-DT-35-F1.8-SAM_lens588.html The Sigma 30/1.4 might be a bit better but it'll certainly cost about twice as much.

For future reference, this page is the best database for Sony lenses I've seen (I shoot Sony, so yeah...) http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Sony offers a Straight up 35mm f/1.8 prime for around $200 which may be what you are looking for. http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-DT-35-F1.8-SAM_lens588.html The Sigma 30/1.4 might be a bit better but it'll certainly cost about twice as much.

For future reference, this page is the best database for Sony lenses I've seen (I shoot Sony, so yeah...) http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Thank you!

What budget are you looking at? What other focal ranges are you considering?

In total for some lenses I would say up to $1000

I was thinking 35mm (I think I am good for that, I will advise him to go between either the sony 1.8 or sigma 1.4 depending on the cost of the second lens) as well as something around the 85mm range

For the 85mm range there's the Sony Carl-Zeiss 85/1.4 which is supposed to be extremely good (The Sony Carl-Zeiss 135/1.8 is legendary too). but will probably cost a bit above $1000, you could also buy a used Minolta 85/1.4 which is supposed to be very good as well though you'll have to find a decent copy, these run around $750 or more depending on condition and the seller. There's also a Sony 85/2.8 which is supposed to be pretty decent (though it's only f/2.8) and costs $250.

What other lenses are going to be used with the camera besides the 35 and 85?

Thanks Argote!!

I think the 35 and 85 will be good for now, the camera came with a kit lens and he bought a zoom lens... I told him fixed focal length is the way to go until he decides to get a 2.8 zoom (70-200 etc.)

So for now the two cheap zoom lenses he has and a 35 and either an 85 will do :)

Thanks again

Yes, well in the APS-C A-mount world the Sony Carl Zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens is regarded to be very good (mostly due to very pleasing microcontrast) though it does not have a constant f/2.8 aperture. It makes an excellent replacement/improvement for the kit lens.

In any case, the kit you're talking about seems very decent, what version of 85 is being considered?

Yes, well in the APS-C A-mount world the Sony Carl Zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens is regarded to be very good (mostly due to very pleasing microcontrast) though it does not have a constant f/2.8 aperture. It makes an excellent replacement/improvement for the kit lens.

In any case, the kit you're talking about seems very decent, what version of 85 is being considered?

Thanks, I will mention that zeiss zoom lens as well!

I will likely speak with him one on one this weekend or next, but likely either the Sony 2.8 or a Minolta 1.4 if we can find a decent one!

However, I will speak with him a bit more to see how pro he wants to get; and maybe he will spring for the Zeiss 85 f/1.4... he's the CFO of a successful construction company so it is definitely within his budget if he so chooses to spend the money.