Help with new DSLR decision Ti1 or D3100

Hey Everyone,

Long time reader of Neowin here, I wanted to get your opinions on how to go about getting a new DSLR. Here is some background:

I used to own a D40X 3 years ago and took a beginner's photography course (black and white) and truly loved it. However, being tight on the budget I had to sell it and I got my hands on a good quality Canon point and shoot (SD770 IS) and it has been great so far. It takes some great pictures. However, I miss being able to play around with the aperture, shutter speed settings to take some more manual photos and I am crazy about macro photography which is a stretch with the point and shoot I have.

I am thinking of buying a DSLR (most likely used) with at least 1 more lens other than the standard 18-55mm (most likely a wide angle lens at first). My hands have a problem staying still so image stabilization is a must. I have looked in to Nikon 3100 and the Canon Ti1. Price-wise they are similar, I have looked into lenses and I cannot tell which one has better options they seem similar to me. Which one of these cameras is a good investment over the years in your opinion? I do not have the budget to keep buying a new camera every 1-2 years, thus I would like to be able to just change the lenses.

I also think video would be a nice add-on. Can anyone attest to the quality of the video shot via 3100?

PS: If there is another model/brand that falls in my price range ($650) please let me know.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

you don't need to buy a new camera each year, dSLRs is just that, investing in Lens!

As for your decision, can you visit a brick and mortar store? I ask because the general consensus seems to be:

1. Canon Feels "plasticky"

2. Nikon feels to smallish

Both cameras in kit have VR/IS IF it were up to those choices, i'd say T1i as the 3100 is an entry level and the t1i was introduced as an midrange dSLRs. Now, there are other choices such as the Pentax k-r and k-x, sony a55.

I definitely can visit a brick and mortar store this week. Thanks for the tip for Ti1, I did not realize it was introduced as a mid-level dslr.

What is your budget?

I think the T2i might be a better choice since the the T3i has caused the prices to drop

I am looking at around $650 for a used camera body (maybe with a kit lens) and another $150 or so for a better lens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

im debating between this two too. Didn't know T1i is introduced as midrange type and both cost about the same. So i might get T1i. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at around $650 for a used camera body (maybe with a kit lens) and another $150 or so for a better lens.

You can pick up a T2i well within that price range.

If you were thinking 650 for a body and 150 for a lens, you can get a T2i with the kit lens for that price. The kit lens really isn't bad.

At Bestbuy you can get the T2I body only for 699 and the f1.8 50 mm for 125 at Amazon.

Or you can get a T1i body from Amazon for 599(?) and the f1.8 lens.

Link to the lens: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU

Link to the T1i body only: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digital-Body-Only/dp/B001XURPQI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307388856&sr=1-2

Best Buy t2i : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+EOS+Rebel+T2i+18.0-Megapixel+Digital+SLR+Camera+-+Black/9778671.p?id=1218171773807&skuId=9778671&cmp=RMX&ref=06&

loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9778671

Edit: Can't comment on the Nikon really as lately all my reading has been done on the Canon's since that's what I ended up going with. Nikon is great from what I hear but yeah, can't accurately comment on comparisons. Sorry!

Edit: Can't comment on the Nikon really as lately all my reading has been done on the Canon's since that's what I ended up going with. Nikon is great from what I hear but yeah, can't accurately comment on comparisons. Sorry!

My general opinion about "Nikon or Canon" is that if you're buying an entry level system and have no experience, you'll be quite happy with either system. I'd even say that for most professional applications, too.

• 4 weeks later...

My general opinion about "Nikon or Canon" is that if you're buying an entry level system and have no experience, you'll be quite happy with either system. I'd even say that for most professional applications, too.

I keep playing with both T2i T1i and D3100 and at this point convinced that there is not that much of a difference to a beginner like me. The only thing I have noticed is the difference in menus. Nikon has made it VERY easy to understand what is happening by literally writing out everything in plain English. Although I have to say Canon is more appealing.

I am trying to find good deals on any of the three models and snatch one at a good price :)

Thanks for your input so far!