PSN Down

Anon doesn't hack, they do DDOS based attacks. Doesn't look like it was Anon. If anything, I'd guess Geohotz or another capable 'hacker'. Still, it shows how insecure the PSN is, if they have to go to this length to stop it.

So Anon are either talking out of their arses, or another capable spasticated group has had a go....

Well, from the sound of it, it's not the result of a DDoS that is the hallmark of Anonymous. If I had to guess, I would say it was one person or a small group who found a security hole. They are anonymous in the sense that they don't want their identities known, but are not the same guys behind the DDoS a few weeks ago.

Anon doesn't hack, they do DDOS based attacks. Doesn't look like it was Anon. If anything, I'd guess Geohotz or another capable 'hacker'. Still, it shows how insecure the PSN is, if they have to go to this length to stop it.

The branch of Anon called SonyOps or whatever it is doesn't really seem like a friendly load of blokes down the pub that you can just take their word for it :rolleyes: You say you don't do hacking? Yeah okay lets just outright believe you, because your motives aren't already completely anarchic and disruptive.

Sony can't be trusted/are evil, etc etc, but a group of people online who take it as their job to be freedom fighters and carry out illegal activity are the herald mark for trust?

Let's not forget the mockery made of them for their recent boycotts/store protests that went in the garbage bin. Maybe some pride got hurt? :laugh:

So Anon are either talking out of their arses, or another capable spasticated group has had a go....

The only thing "Anon" is capable of is being a bunch of spastics - it's highly unlikely they have anything to do this, their PR is on the level of the Iraqi Information minister anyway.

Anyone think it's intentional and Sony is lying? This would certainly help turn those angry with Sony against a hacker group like Anonymous if people thought they were doing more harm than good.

Anyone think it's intentional and Sony is lying? This would certainly help turn those angry with Sony against a hacker group like Anonymous if people thought they were doing more harm than good.

Anonymous already done that to themselves when they DDOS'd PSN and caused an outage. The only people you seen cheering and supporting them then were fanboys or people who already hated Sony. Those two groups of people are never going to have their mindset changed, so no, I doubt Sony is doing all of this to try and change their minds - You know it is easter weekend, there is PSN sales on, lots of money to be made :whistle: Think that takes priority over trying to change haters minds online. Well considering Anonymous say they're a money greedy corporation who do not care about their consumers, you'd think they'd be going gung ho for PSN sales this weekend right?

If anon was behind it they would claim responsibility for it, they live for the attention as much as the attack. Either a small group has a serious botnet and some serious hate for Sony, which I doubt since Sony would of redirected the attack by now and got the services back online. Or much more likely someone / group has found a security hole in the PSN network. A bit worrying, this is 2 times now an outside source has been able to bring down the PSN network.

this sounds like a tool called server mapper released a couple days ago to the CFW community that would allow them to connect to both the retail and dev psn networks through an exploit.

1261596481_3Fw2MnJ-L.jpg

Is there such thing as a funny Penny Arcade comic? Because I've never seen one. Even XKCD makes a funny comic once in a blue moon.

Is there such thing as a funny Penny Arcade comic? Because I've never seen one. Even XKCD makes a funny comic once in a blue moon.

Funny? Maybe not..

Comical and true? Yes..

I got a slight chuckle out of it, mainly because Sony basically does suck, and I hate their ads and 'Kevin Butler.'

Funny? Maybe not..

Comical and true? Yes..

I got a slight chuckle out of it, mainly because Sony basically does suck, and I hate their ads and 'Kevin Butler.'

You lost me at the bolded bit. Just saying that they suck without even giving a reason automatically brands you a troll.

Penny Arcades humour is tailored to the trolls and haters, so you either love it, or it seems pathetic. Just depends what side of the fence you're on for the joke - Although they definitely do dislike Sony, the majority of their jokes in the console realm are just tailored to the 360/MS crowd, not much poking fun the other way. Well that's what I see in recent months.

When the above comic got posted I had quite a few posts on my twitter wall with the usual "LMAO **** sony - "link to PA comic"".

Talk about horrible timing. Best Buy Canada had a brief sale on a bunch of games including the pre-order for Motorstorm Apocalypse. After hearing about it, I thought I would hop on and check out the demo, but lo and behold, PSN was still down last night :( . Sale ended a few hours ago.

At any rate, hopefully it'll be back up today or tomorrow. Regardless of where a person may sit in the so-called "console war", the important thing to realize here is that the only casualty of this attack is the gaming populace. I don't know much about the attack (I don't care enough to investigate), but if this is some sort of underhanded way of "sticking it to the man", then mission failed.

I think in hindsight of this ... it does show one major flaw of reliance on single central service for multiplayer on consoles...

Absolutely ridiculous this is still down. I want to play SOCOM!!!

I finished the story in Elite, unlocked everything. Now I want to play online, and PSN doesn't work. Seems like Anon won, even if they did not take part this time.

Seems like Anon won, even if they did not take part this time.

You realise that if "Anon" would come forth and say "Yes, we did it!", they wouldn't just get out of it with pat - this time someone would take a trip to the slammer or spend the rest of their days in poverty.

And for the people "No they cannot be tracked, they are anon waawaa". Yes, they can. Normal police investigation techniques are still very effective against them and they are just childish amateurs, despite how good some of their members may be developing tools.

You realise that if "Anon" would come forth and say "Yes, we did it!", they wouldn't just get out of it with pat - this time someone would take a trip to the slammer or spend the rest of their days in poverty.

Security intrusions are serious, but DDoS are no laughing matter in court either. Performing a DoS attack is a federal crime.

Latest update for PSN/Qriocity services

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

So god knows how much longer it'll be down for, but it looks like they're trying to make sure this never happens again.

Looks like it was, or could have been, something severe if they were quite willing to take it down for so long and have been spending this time rebuilding it with better security.

I was half expecting a new firmware release or something with the time it is taking to come back online, figured they were waiting for something.