What's the best DVD-R brand?

I?ve been looking to buy a spindle of DVD-Rs, but all the reviews on Amazon are atrocious. I?m looking at brands like TDK, Memorex, Sony, and HP. You?d think those would be good brands, but several of the reviews are bad. People say they end up with tons of coasters and/or the data fades away in a short period of time. This is scary to hear.

Does anyone here know of a good brand of DVD-Rs that burn successfully most of the time and lasts long?

TDK and Memorex are classed as 'regular' brands - I'd say Verbatim are the better brand...

But to be perfectly honest, different people swear by different brands. Some people love cheap brands like Imation, some people prefer other brands.. I don't think you'll get a clear cut response.

Verbatim works for me.and i would avoid memorex.

Ouch. I have a bunch of DVDs that I burnt using Memorex. Is there anything I should be aware of before it's too late? If it's THAT bad, maybe I should buy Verbatim DVDs and reburn them?

Taiyo Yuden are your best bet for Archival Purposes + Important Data.

I use whatever is on sale at Costco for throwaway, one-off disks.

Really, you should test a few brands with your burner as different DVD Burners seem to favor one brand over another.

• Like 2

Another vote for Verbatim's, although for years i've sworn by any disks that used Ritek G05 dye. Used cheaper, unbranded disks an had a more than a few coasters.

For regular market brands, go for Verbatim. Brands like Memorex are crap when it comes to high capacity DL discs.

Top-notch discs are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden though.

You can snag these off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=taiyo+yuden&x=0&y=0

A lot of it has to do with the burner drive as well though; ****ty burners are less compatible with discs.

• Like 2

Ouch. I have a bunch of DVDs that I burnt using Memorex. Is there anything I should be aware of before it's too late? If it's THAT bad, maybe I should buy Verbatim DVDs and reburn them?

if those dvd's are readable in full speed (which means less errors or retries that your dvd-rw player is making while reading those memorex dvd's) than it's allright.But if your drive is reading it slowly like 1mb/sec than it's not a good sign.

+1 for Taiyo Yuden. Use them at work(for a document scanning company i.e. we scan other companies documents for storage on CD/DVD) and never had a problem.

Rebranded Taiyo Yuden media can be found under Fujifilm, Fusion, Maxell (Maxell Music CD-R, Maxell CD-R Pro, and Maxell CD-R Music Pro (discontinued)), Miflop, Panasonic, Plextor, Sony (Sony Music CD-R (discontinued 2008)), TDK, and Verbatim Corporation brands.[6] In Japan, Korea and Greece, Taiyo Yuden is distributing its own brand "That's".

Source

Not sure where your from, but if it's UK, try jetmedia

Personally, I just bought 100 Ritek DVD-R, although I haven't had any to burn yet. But they are half the price of the Taiyo Yuden ones.

I always use TDK/Sony DVD+R's. Try using DVD+R at all cases, they have error correction that leads to better results when burning data in all cases, regardless of the physical media quality (fact). DVD+R and DVD-R are pretty different when it comes to the way data is handled...

Hello,

I am rather fond of Taiyo Yuden, like several other folks who have replied in the forum, however, as xendrome noted, firmware compatibility is the key issue.

Why not contact the manufacturer of your DVD?RW dsc drive and ask them what brands of media work best or are qualified for DVD-R use?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky