What's the best DVD-R brand?

Paul

Any using Taiyo Yuden dye for sure.

DaDude

if those dvd's are readable in full speed (which means less errors or retries that your dvd-rw player is making while reading those memorex dvd's) than it's allright.But if your drive is reading it slowly like 1mb/sec than it's not a good sign.

how can I test if they're readable at full speed? They play on my DVD players just fine. How do I test and see if it's reading it slowly?

PhillAholic

I'll echo the same thing a few above have said. Taiyo Yuden are by far the best. Even their value line, which are considerably cheaper come out better then just about any other brand. I think someone else said it above, but the blanks made in Japan are just about always better than when they are made anywhere else.

muratoner

how can I test if they're readable at full speed? They play on my DVD players just fine. How do I test and see if it's reading it slowly?

use the program Nero CD/DVD Speed.

XIII

Verbatim if you can afford it. Otherwise, any other DVD would be fine but you need to burn at low speed to minimize errors. They can advertise as 8x 16x or whatever but don't trust the advertising. Besides, cheap DVDs will stop working after a couple of years so check them regularly to make sure everything is ok.

Buttus

I'll echo the same thing a few above have said. Taiyo Yuden are by far the best. Even their value line, which are considerably cheaper come out better then just about any other brand. I think someone else said it above, but the blanks made in Japan are just about always better than when they are made anywhere else.

right, I always try to have a spindle of Taiyo Yuden blanks to copy stuff that needs to be kept, but i'll buy any brand for stuff that i'm not going to need in a while...

PGHammer

:laugh: Fair enough, I guess it is clear-cut.

Verbatim is the brand to go for.

I have nothing against Memorex (I've used their DVD+RW and CD-RW media for the past year-plus); however, I'm not a fan of -R media (from anyone) given recent stability advances in terms of +RW media.

Also, while -R media used to have a large price advantage over +RW media, that is now only true for CD-sized media; the advantage for DVD-sized media has practically gone away, especially given the increased tolerances for rewrites. I don't even buy write-once media any more.

eilegz

taiyo yuden and verbatim (those that are not made in india)

azure.sapphire

It depends on where the disc was manufactured... not the brand name. There are a number of low cost Verbatim DVD-r and DVD+R that are causing a lot of people grief... mostly in the Life Series. The last I checked it was made by CMC MAG-coded media and is pretty crappy (but I could be wrong).

Honestly, the state of DVD media is going downhill. It probably has to do with the razor thin margins they are making on the sale of discs... 100pak for less then $20 sometimes. Not much profit to be made here, and much easier to outsource to cheap manufacturing plants.

The only real archival DVDs are: JVC Taiyo Yuden and some Verbatim/other branded... those produced by Mitsubishi Chemicals, Mitsubishi-Kagaku Media, Verbatim. I would avoid TDK. It stopped producing quality media in 2006 and Sony left the market in 2010. You will find both still, but they are not the same, though you probably should be able to purchase quality Sony sources for a while.

Here is a guide:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

• Like 1
MS Bob 10

Verbatim and Sony (most of Sony's are re-branded Taiyo Yuden).

Kreuger

Ive never found a difference in them but I generally buy Memorex at Walmart

azure.sapphire

Verbatim and Sony (most of Sony's are re-branded Taiyo Yuden).

Sony outsourced all of their DVD manufacturing outside of Japan. Taiyo Yuden is made only in Japan. It is really hit or miss with the new DVDs.

nub

To me, it doesn't matter. I've used about every brand there is. They all have worked fine. Although Verbatim discs do seem to work better for drives that are finicky (game consoles).

DigitalSnow

Taiyo Yuden is what I use. Just seem to have a higher success rate for a stack of 100. Also I like to get them because there is no branding on the discs. Overall they cost a little more, but I will happily pay it.

http://www.rima.com/CTGY/TAIYOYUDEN.html

DukeEsquire

Which ever is the cheapest is the best.

Peter Griffin

Taiyo Yuden is what I use. Just seem to have a higher success rate for a stack of 100. Also I like to get them because there is no branding on the discs. Overall they cost a little more, but I will happily pay it.

http://www.rima.com/CTGY/TAIYOYUDEN.html

I don't use my burner a lot, but I have used this brand and they worked very well. As with most things, you get what you pay for.

+jamesyfx

Where I work, brands like Mr. DVD, TDK, Memorex and Tuff-Disc are interchangeable (same product codes...), whereas Verbatim sorta stand alone... Hmm....

Hum

I have learned to use RW DVDs.

You get a second chance to burn, if something goes wrong.

I have also learned to keep the burn speed low, say at 2X -- no matter what the advertised DVD label says, or the DVD drive claims.

And I give a plus 1 for Verbatim.