Immortal Jellyfish Provides Clues for Regenerative Medicine

A previous, similar thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/826366-immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist/page__hl__immortal

The search for the fountain of youth has been ongoing ever since man decided that dying wasn?t all that appealing. And now, it appears that this elusive holy grail has been found, albeit by a species that is not ours! So who is the lucky winner of the everlasting life sweepstakes? None other than the humble and dime-sized jellyfish known as Turritopsis nutricula. This creature has accomplished what no other biological being on our planet has ever been known to do: reverse it?s aging to become young again after reaching full maturity! As early as 1992, scientists had observed this phenomenon in Turritopsis and research into its secrets was ongoing. However, a recent spike in the numbers and geographic distribution of this species has once again brought it to the attention of the greater scientific community because of the many important breakthroughs we have witnessed in stem cell research in the past decade. As regenerative medicine continues to grow into the future of medicine, it?s clear that this tiny jellyfish may hold the answers to not only addressing the many aging-related ailments we face, but also our own mortality!

Source

How about that ? That 20 year prediction seems fitting now :p

I'm not sure we will ever achieve immortality but in the near future I believe we will live a very long time, thanks to science. Maybe even thanks to this little guy.

Someday, Science will realize the we are more than just the physical body, that our spirits are Immortal, and 'death' is not to be feared. :happy:

if all will become immortal , biologically we will all stale , no DNA improvements , over population , more natural resources would be exploited = catastrophe. Lets find a new planet to live first

if all will become immortal , biologically we will all stale , no DNA improvements , over population , more natural resources would be exploited = catastrophe. Lets find a new planet to live first

We'll just find a new way to die. War and famine comes to mind.

mmm, save immortality for the forever damned. Imagine what would happen to a country like India/China...

I don't want to live forever. Would witness too many horrible threads on Neowin and make me go cr..cr..crazy.

If the only way to kill this jellyfish is by chopping off its head, then it can have the immortality crown, till then....there can only be one...

I personally don't really understand anyone who doesn't want to live forever. There's nothing I'd want more to be honest...

I personally don't really understand anyone who doesn't want to live forever. There's nothing I'd want more to be honest...

That's not natural, everybody have to die one day. It is the way of life in this planet.