Any advice for my first DSLR ?

Hi guys,

I'll be getting my first real paycheck next month (yay !) and I was thinking about geting my first DSLR, something I always wanted to do as I'm huge fan of photography (actually read countless books without ever practicing). I'm seeking your help here as I don't want to be blinded by my excitment. What I would like to achieve is a long-term investment (something that I'll be using at least for 2-3 years) so I can start working on the lens collection. My budget would be in the 1000$ range but I'm willing to put more on the table if it's worth it.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Well depends on availability. Finding it here in Morocco would be better but if I can't do that I'll just buy it online.

PS : I was just looking at the EOS 5D Mark II and that thing is beautiful ! Do you think it would be worth it to wait a little longer and buy it ? Or is there a cheaper satisfying alternative that I can go with ?

It is unlikely that you'll be able to find a 5D MkII for $1000 anytime soon. Considering US prices you could be looking at a Nikon D5100, Nikon D90, Canon 600D, Canon 60D (maybe), Sony A580, Pentax K-r

Argote, yep I'm aware of that :) That's why I asked if it would be worth it to wait a little longer and go with it ? In any case, any advice on a ~1000$ DSLR would be appreciated !

EDIT : Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into these and figure out which one suits me.

yea 5D MKII won't be $1000 for years. I still see 5DMK1s on craigslist for $900-1100.

But yea argote had a decent list there. I'd really stay w/ Nikon or Canon. Sony...MAYBE.

like he said guys... he is aware it is above $1000 and (like he mentioned in his original post) he is willing to go ABOVE $1000... IF it is worth it.

So the question isn't "will the 5D MKII ever be $1000" the question is "is it worth it to spend the extra money to get a 5D MKII opposed to another camera that is around the $1000 price range"

I personally do not know about the 5D MKII so I can not answer that question, but as others have mentioned, the list that Argote gave is pretty good, look into those cameras, hopefully someone else will be able to tell you if it would be worth it for you to wait a little longer and save up for the 5D MKII

Like Crazzy said, Nikon and Canon are your best choices. (mainly because they have such a huge selection of lenses) I recommend testing one of each to determine which brand feels better in your hands.

Thanks remus_lupin, that's exactly what I meant :) Wait a little and save up for the 5D MII vs Get something next month for around 1000$.

@crazzyy88s, mainly landscapes and maybe some Urbex with friends.

You should also consider which system has more presence in Morocco (or whichever country you're in) to be able to have the option of finding accessories and lenses and such locally.

Ok landscapes/urbex: You'll want a really good wide angle lens for that. Expect an additional $1500-2000 for that. I dunno what canon's top of the line is, but something in the 10-25mm range with a constant aperture of F4 or faster. I'm sure they have something wide that's "L" class.

I was in a similar situation (Although it wasn't for a first dSLR) to decide whether I should get a 60D, 7D, or 5D2. (Avoid those Digital Rebels... just my personal opinion)

In the end I stuck with an EOS 60D and has been turning out impressive photos. Sure the 5D2 is full frame but are you really willing to pay 2.5x the price? For most enthusiasts and even semi-pro the 60D offers excellent bang for the buck imo. Spend your money on better lenses and buy a good flash.

I'd recommend buying a lower priced DSLR and a lens or two that you could use with a more expensive model later on after you've fully got the hang of the camera.

Alright yeah, I agree with most people, don't go full frame for now, as long as you get a current midrange dslr, it will last 2-3 years (as you want).

As crazzy said for what you want (landscape/urbex) a wide-angle is a must, but you don't HAVE to spend as much as he says; I would look into Tokina's 11-16 f/2.8, I have it and it is a great lens!

Here are some Urbex shots I did with mainly it:

In addition, you are going to need a tripod.

So again, I would go with a body near the $1000 range... and then get a nice wide-angle and a basic 35mm or 50mm to start with

Wow thanks a lot guys :) I think I'll go with what you said and get a 1000$ body so I can invest in lens. Gonna check out what you suggested and keep you posted if I need any more advice. Thanks again !

By the way, awesome shots remus :)

In my opinion, if you need to ask if it's worth saving up for something like a 5D over a cheaper body, the answer is already no.

This is grossly oversimplifying, but these days the body is towards the bottom of the list of things that affect photo quality - technique, lens, available light, etc are all more important.

I think it's best when starting out to get a cheap but decent body - my girlfriend just bought a 1000D, for example. That thing can take superb pictures, especially with the L lens that normally lives on my 7D. Once you get experience, you'll start figuring out if a more expensive body would be better for you. The more expensive bodies buy you features - weatherproofing, a faster image processor, more AF points, more megapixels, etc - but not necessarily better image quality.

So, in summary: Photo quality = Technique + Lens + body.

Starting out with a cheap body means you can spend more of a limited budget on lenses, which will benefit you more than a slightly better body. You can then "graduate" to better bodies as you see fit.

Thanks iKenndac :) I fully agree with you, it's just that I want to seize this opportunity to get something that will last me, something that I will just get and forget so I can concentrate on lens without feeling limited by the body. After reading some reviews on what you guys suggested (and looking for different opinions on the web) I think I'll settle on the Nikon D7000 camera. What do you think guys ? Anyone had a previous experience with it ?

The D7000 is a great camera. I used mine since launch in November and couldn't be happier. It gives me sufficient controls, fits well in the hand, has great low light performance for a DX sensor and has enough "pro" features and build quality to satisfy most people. I've collected some lenses to go along with it and probably will move to a pro/FX body once I get better.

If you are willing to pay a bit extra for the D7000 then it is definitely worth it. It is one of the best APS-C cameras out there right now. It is right up there with the PENTAX K-5, better than the 7D IMO and Sony doesn't have a prosumer grade body right now (though the A580 uses the same sensor).

The only thing to consider here IMO is whether to get the D7000 or save some money and go with the D5100 (same IQ but less direct controls, smaller body, no in-body motor and less advanced AF system). I'd say go with the D7000.

As crazzy said for what you want (landscape/urbex) a wide-angle is a must, but you don't HAVE to spend as much as he says; I would look into Tokina's 11-16 f/2.8, I have it and it is a great lens!

Well it depends. If he was gunna dish out for a 5DMKII, it'd be stupid to put a $600 lens on a body that expensive. See quote below!

So, in summary: Photo quality = Technique + Lens + body.

+100

The D7000's a great camera. You should be able to use it for a long time and be able to learn and grow with it as well. Like others have said, do take the time to learn about what you're doing as opposed to just clicking away.