Android apps inferior in features and quality ?

You do realize it's been this way for the last 4-5 years? Android hasn't exploded just in the last year... it's been popular for a while now. Things aren't just going to get better all of a sudden. The platform is fragmented as hell, and developers are slowly turning away from it.

Is there any evidence to support this?

One can't generalize. I would say that there are a lot more crappy apps on android market than there are on the app store, BUT, there are HIGH quality apps on both platforms. That said, I dont think developers are generally aiming at the "lowest common denominator". Besides, that remark has to be elaborated.

Ask just about any pixel-perfectionist designer and they'll give you the same reaction: designing for Android is a bitch. The myriad of different screen resolutions, pixel densities, and even different screen technologies (Pentile will make something look very different, in other words) makes creating a tight or detailed design nearly impossible. As such, Android designs tend to be more minimal and flat, which is something some people might prefer. Doesn't make it any less hard for developers and designers to work with, though.

It's another approach to the same problem. iOS has that horrible rescaling thing, at least apps on android don't look pixelated. And last time I checked you take both screen resolution and pixel density when designing the thing. Different resolutions can be pretty much divided into 2-3 categories, but then again on iOS you also have iPad, retina, and regular resolution.

BTW, the facebook app for android sucks beyond belief.

I can only agree. Of course, there are some gemstones but otherwise Android applications are quite excellent proof of Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crap).

The fragmentation problem isn't in the versions, never was. The problem lies (as already mentioned) in wide range of devices Android has been stuffed onto. That problem should have been expected and dealt with from start, relieving the developers from dealing with it in the first place.

While some applications scale devices easily (though a practice if such scaling is welcome at all, is arguable), they tend to have a budget behind them and a price before them. That's somehow normal, though. But when a paid app fails to do it, I become rather worrying. I rarely forgive such thing to a freeware. It's still a job of a developer to solve this. If they want to half-arse their job or not do it at all, just because they can so - too damn bad. For whom? For customers who are blinded by being shoveled in their heads constantly that Android is a (better) opposite of iOS in soo many ways (most vocal: open! and shut...).

I hate constant updates that fix something I don't even care - many problems are fixes for certain devices. But then again I'm supposed to care since it might as well be a security risk or I just haven't had something noticed and it would possibly bite me in the arse at the moment least expected (tends to happen with any software nowadays more than very often).

And no matter how anyone in charge or anyone else might want to pull a Ballmer and start dancing the "developers, developers, developers", it won't get any better. No developer needs a platform that evolves so fast and omnidirectionally, one might even say - chaotically, without having a better way to.

Android phone is still but a fancy toy.

It's another approach to the same problem. iOS has that horrible rescaling thing, at least apps on android don't look pixelated. And last time I checked you take both screen resolution and pixel density when designing the thing. Different resolutions can be pretty much divided into 2-3 categories, but then again on iOS you also have iPad, retina, and regular resolution.

BTW, the facebook app for android sucks beyond belief.

iOS indeed had that problem. Rescaling and all. But only for a few weeks. By now, all the apps I tried and use were updated to support retina. Most of them even were when I got my iPhone 4 shortly after release, because Apple provided tools and info so that developers were able to adapt beforehand. So no problem there, because they scale down perfectly. And that nieche-app that did not update their graphics, like that info app for my local subway, works anyways, because fonts were never affected by that anyways. But that's like one out of 30+ apps I have installed that does not look all that great. But also, only because it's pixaleted. Not because it was designed badly back then.

Almost every app that is important or successful now has a compatible iPad-app that is not upscaled but designed for the iPad's screen. So again, no problem here.

Also, Apple simply upped the resolution by 2. Simple as that. No different aspect ratios, just twice the pixels. And it eventually turned out to be not a problem at all.

You have 3 targets on iOS (if you're making a universal app): 480x320, 960x640, and 1024x768. If you target 960x640, then the "1x" resolution comes pretty easily (you might have to tweak a graphic here or there if you're really anal about it).

The point is that you can get fine-grained control. Say you're doing an app that's supposed to look like a real-world calendar (the iPad calendar app is a good example). The textures and details in that app are pretty tightly designed. Now, imagine you had to take that app with that design idea and target 5 different tablet screen resolutions in Android 3.x. Good luck.

The "pixelated" look you're talking about just comes from the Retina Display being higher density. Yes, that's a downside of not having everything be a vector. Is it that big a deal for designers? Sure, it can be a pain when your highly detailed and custom app was designed back when 480x320 was the only target. But nowadays, the Retina Display just allows designers to have a ton of fun with their UI designs.

As a sidenote, I don't have a single app on my phone that's not optimized for the Retina Display, and that's out of 66 apps.

To be clear, I think there are a whole lot of good applications on the Android market. They just look like sh*t. Which, yes, is important, because it is directly linked with the UX of an app. Like there are dirty, crappy websites that you just close the tab of because of their ****ty looks and head over to that well designed, grid-aligned website with carefully selected fonts and gently used effects. They might serve the same purpose. But the better designed page is more user friendly, more pleasing to look at, ideally not distracting much and feels like someone put some love in there.

Design is about love and passion and not just putting some function into some app and then saying "well, it works!". It does. But it's bad.

Yep, because we all know your opinion = fact, right?

I have owned 3 Android phones, so surprisingly enough I actually happen to know what I am talking about here, and the millions of other people satisfied with their Android phones would suggest that you, and Owen are wrong.

First, Android dominates the US market. But the US is not the world. In Europe for example, it does not.

But however, I found that while I used Android, the apps have all the features you might want or need but usually, those apps look like rubbish. Now, it's up to the user to decide if they want apps that do the job and look like crap or apps that do the job AND look great. ;) Because really, you can't argue against that:

http://www.tipb.com/images/stories/2011/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-08-at-1.41.07-AM-400x300.png

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj9o61FG8y1qakv34.png

BUT before someone calls me a fanboy or biased or whatever, of course that depends entirely on taste and one might find the Android-interface way better.

Better safe then sorry nowadays on Neowin...

Just an fyi but these are pretty old. Both the facebook and speedtest apps have been updated for some time. Also there are plenty of great looking apps for android, sure some of the iOS counterparts do look better but as you can see Android is quickly coming up to speed ;)

screenshot.png

screenshot_3.png

Yep, because we all know your opinion = fact, right?

I have owned 3 Android phones, so surprisingly enough I actually happen to know what I am talking about here, and the millions of other people satisfied with their Android phones would suggest that you, and Owen are wrong.

Wow, you really seem to be quite a bitch! :)

I could go ahead the Neowin-way and call bias but I am sure you are not. Your avatar clearly suggests you accept opinions and are not at all as focused on Android as the other Apple fanboy. :)

I never said that one could not be statisfied with Android apps. I am quite happy that you and millions others are!

But are you really trying to tell me that Android apps look great? I mean... alright, if you think so that's great, seriously. But I think we can all agree on the lack of polish of Android apps compared to iOS apps.

Just an fyi but these are pretty old. Both the facebook and speedtest apps have been updated for some time. Also there are plenty of great looking apps for android, sure some of the iOS counterparts do look better but as you can see Android is quickly coming up to speed ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't know that. :) Never said otherwise, though. I simply said, and some others here aswell, that Android apps are, most of the time, not as polished as iOS apps. Simple as that. But it's great to see Android is catching up.

Wow, you really seem to be quite a bitch! :)

I could go ahead the Neowin-way and call bias but I am sure you are not. Your avatar clearly suggests you accept opinions and are not at all as focused on Android as the other Apple fanboy. :)

I never said that one could not be statisfied with Android apps. I am quite happy that you and millions others are!

But are you really trying to tell me that Android apps look great? I mean... alright, if you think so that's great, seriously. But I think we can all agree on the lack of polish of Android apps compared to iOS apps.

Nope, like most Apple lovers however, you assume that because you subscribe to a company that pushes a philosophy of form over function that everyone should think the same way as you. And yes, I am biased the only difference between us is I am willing to admit it. So when are you going to admit your bias? I have used iOS (owned an iPod touch) and I simply don't agree that the apps are better. That's an opinion I formed from trying both platforms, not because I prefer Android.

Nope, like most Apple lovers however, you assume that because you subscribe to a company that pushes a philosophy of form over function that everyone should think the same way as you. And yes, I am biased the only difference between us is I am willing to admit it. So when are you going to admit your bias? I have used iOS (owned an iPod touch) and I simply don't agree that the apps are better. That's an opinion I formed from trying both platforms, not because I prefer Android.

Where did I say I'm not biased?

I used both Android and iOS and I simply don't agree that Android apps are as polished as iOS apps. That's an opinion I formed from trying both platforms, not because I prefer iOS and from years of working as a designer and studying history of arts/media communication.

But you know what? I don't care anymore. You bore me.

• Like 3

Where did I say I'm not biased?

I used both Android and iOS and I simply don't agree that Android apps are as polished as iOS apps. That's an opinion I formed from trying both platforms, not because I prefer iOS and from years of working as a designer and studying history of arts/media communication.

But you know what? I don't care anymore. You bore me.

Don't bother. Fandroids never change their stance on Android vs. iOS.

I own an iPod Touch and an htc hero and iOS is 100% more polished than Android in terms of app quality and design. The facebook app on my iPod Touch allows me to delete posts, status's, etc., while the Android variant does not. I can say the same for some other apps, but its not necessary because those that are open minded and have tried both platforms know that iOS is more polished in terms of app quality and design.

This conversation is amusing because everyone is making generalized statements and then hand picking specific examples to prove their points.

The "lazy developers being rooted out" is silly, I think. Time is money, and maybe testing and actually HAVING a broad enough range of Android hardware isn't in some people's budgets.

No, they're not.

An app is only as good as it's developer, there's some pretty shonky apps for iPhones as well.

QFT!

Have to agree with this.

as someone whos relatively new to smartphones, i dont have any real beef in Android at all. however i think he made fair points. but mine works just fine for me. i only wish they implemented compression like a black berry. my data plan is small. and ive come close to passing my limit. my buddy has the same plan on his blackberry and uses his internet more but only ever sees about half the data used

I own a HTC Desire and totally agree, in fact I'm so displeased with the quality of Android apps in general I refuse to pay for them (that said I won't pirate them either, if there is only a paid version of the app I'm after I'll simply not get it). On my iPod touch on the other hand, the quality of the apps is outstanding and I'm more then happy to pay for apps on that :) I keep saying it and I'll continue to say it, Android's "openess" will be it's downfall. As much as I like Android, I still feel it's a ticking timebomb. That is my 2 cents take with a grain of salt.

as someone whos relatively new to smartphones, i dont have any real beef in Android at all. however i think he made fair points. but mine works just fine for me. i only wish they implemented compression like a black berry. my data plan is small. and ive come close to passing my limit. my buddy has the same plan on his blackberry and uses his internet more but only ever sees about half the data used

Just turn off syncronizing contacts/photos/email/wtv wtv and check if the apps you installed have an "auto-update" that uses your internet every X minutes. I found that seesmic with auto-refresh and gowalla with notifications turned on used a lot of my internet quota (which, to be fair, is quite low...).

Without navigating the web, my android uses about 2-4kb per day (I think it's when the market checks for app updates).

** Sorry about the offtopic **

We develop for Android at work and one of the biggest challenges is worrying about what devices it will be seen on. We get bug reports all the time about the software looking strange on this device or that device or maybe a new device that we hadn't planned on. Overall it's not a huge deal but I can see where a more controlled environment like iPhone or what WP7 is trying to do is easier to develop a consistent experience for the end user. From what I understand Google is tightening the reins a little bit and I think that's a good thing. Whether you have an HTC, Motorola, LG or whatever most people will just remember they are running Android and Google needs to look after their brand.

?In a broad sense, in terms of some of the fragmentation in Android, with multiple resolutions, multiple screen sizes, different capabilities of different platforms that run Android, some users may find that they have to produce a watered down experience. They can?t deliver a consistent one. If they are using a lot of native device elements ? like the accelerometer and the camera and gyroscope and all of the different pieces of the hardware ? those are handled very differently on different devices. So, if you needed that, you might not be able to deliver that in a great way. You might have to take that feature out, for example.?

herp derp derp...

He doesn't give a single example of an app. Nice try Starbucks, nice try :rofl:

Don't bother. Fandroids never change their stance on Android vs. iOS.

I own an iPod Touch and an htc hero and iOS is 100% more polished than Android in terms of app quality and design. The facebook app on my iPod Touch allows me to delete posts, status's, etc., while the Android variant does not. I can say the same for some other apps, but its not necessary because those that are open minded and have tried both platforms know that iOS is more polished in terms of app quality and design.

Ok, I am going to repeat this again and try LISTENING this time

I HAVE PREVIOUSLY OWNED AN iOS DEVICE

Are we clear now? I do happen to have a basis for my opinion whether you like that fact or not.

I used to own an iPhone, I now have a HTC Wildfire and I am very happy with it. I would drop it for an iPhone4 however. Seeing as my Wife wont let me throw money away to get one my I'm happy with Android. My next phone will also be an Android.

This thread is completely riddled with bias to the point of being completely and utterly useless.

iOS user = iOS is better

Android user = Android is better

What is the point if you are not going to analyze the actual facts? Before I start I would like to remind people of my bias: Samsung Galaxy S owner here and I personally like Android more than iOS for its base functionality.

I have seen Android apps. I have used a huge amount of them. Some are extremely polished, work well, look great and don't suffer from "fragmentation issues" - Tank Hero, Speedx 3D, ES File Explorer, Speed Test, Astrid are just some I can name

Then there are some that are complete and utter rubbish, look terrible and perform awfully. Luckily, I don't keep these apps installed on my phone because they suck and I rate them low (like everyone else) in the Market. You avoid these apps.

iOS is exactly the same, however as developers don't have to worry about getting their app to work on a varied hardware base they can focus solidly on optimization/features/visuals for the few devices to work with. Devs flock to the OS because of this reason: it's easy to code for because of the limited hardware range.

Try the same approach for Android and you'll have a broken app on ~50 devices. Code for a HVGA display and it won't work on WVGA or qHD without spending time to fix it. Android developers have to be wary of this and sometimes (not always) it leads to poor quality apps from first-time developers. After some work with the platform no doubt they will overcome this issue and will be able to deliver some fantastic apps (as there are on the Market) but it won't be as immediate as with iOS.

Also, iOS users are generally less tech-centric than Android users and worry more about the looks of the apps than anything else. Does this come through with the apps? Yes, because developers spend time marketing to a group of users who buy on aesthetics rather than features. Not entirely the opposite can be said about Android but you will generally see developers code features before looks.

iOS apps, on average, are more "polished" than Android apps while having less features. This is an observation. It's not to say you can't find featured-filled apps on iOS or great looking apps on Android, it's just where the line sits due to the hardware and user base.

I'm not at all disappointed with the Android Market and the available apps. Yes, having the apparent higher quality of iOS apps would be a bonus but I'm happy with what I can find in the Market. Some users won't be because they prefer looks over features, but because I'm the opposite I don't mind.

I can tell you as an Android and iPhone developer there are two main issues why Android doesn't have as many quality apps as iPhone.

1. Fragmentation. There are too many versions of the OS on various devices and too many different screen sizes. It costs infinitely more to develop an app on Android that will work on all of the various screen sizes and OS versions.

2. The ROI on paid Android apps is terrible. The market suffered from non-paid apps for so long that the majority of users almost rejected paid apps outright when they became available. The other plaguing problem for developers is that Android allowed for refunds of apps. As a user it's great, don't like it? Get a refund. As a developer if if it's been downloaded 1,000 times and refunded 900 times then you made a whopping $70 bucks on your $.99 app after Googles cut of the revenue. You'd think that would serve as motivation for developers to "enhance" their applications but it has the opposite affect. It's de Ito atop al and they move on to making other apps of the same quality.

But give Apple a little credit here. They screen the apps for quality and compatibility. We've had QA from Apple inform us of iPod touch related issues when we've submitted our apps. It helps in fixing any issues before users get them. As where Android you can submit an app and it's available instantly to the masses. Then your users give you a load of negative feedback.

But developers need to have more pride in their applications. If you're going to commit to having your application on multiple platforms then they should resemble one another as much as possible.

I'm a WP7 user, and i dislike Apple with a passion. But personally, i've had a iOS, WP7 and Android phone. And the iOS marketplace was better out of Android and iOS.

No bias here.

2. The ROI on paid Android apps is terrible. The market suffered from non-paid apps for so long that the majority of users almost rejected paid apps outright when they became available. The other plaguing problem for developers is that Android allowed for refunds of apps. As a user it's great, don't like it? Get a refund. As a developer if if it's been downloaded 1,000 times and refunded 900 times then you made a whopping $70 bucks on your $.99 app after Googles cut of the revenue. You'd think that would serve as motivation for developers to "enhance" their applications but it has the opposite affect. It's de Ito atop al and they move on to making other apps of the same quality.

But give Apple a little credit here. They screen the apps for quality and compatibility. We've had QA from Apple inform us of iPod touch related issues when we've submitted our apps. It helps in fixing any issues before users get them. As where Android you can submit an app and it's available instantly to the masses. Then your users give you a load of negative feedback.

I don't see anything wrong with that? The market has spoken by refunding your app that doesn't work. Why do you even sell it in the first place?

You place a product for sale and the customer buys it to try it (unless there's a free trial version). If it doesn't work, the customer demands a refund AND leaves you feedback. Isn't that the time to take in that feedback and update your app? Or is that too much work which leads to a lower ROI than with Apple? If you end up supporting it well and the users see that, who knows, you could sell the app for more. The app isn't the only important thing, the support is usually as or even more important.