Apple to Update Mac OS X to Remove 'Mac Defender' Malware

Apple to Update Mac OS X to Remove 'Mac Defender' Malware

Apple has posted a Knowledge Base article that addresses the recent MacDefender malware issue and also reveals they will be addressing it in the next few days through a software update

In the coming days, Apple will deliver a Mac OS X software update that will automatically find and remove Mac Defender malware and its known variants. The update will also help protect users by providing an explicit warning if they download this malware.

Apple describes "MacDefender" as a recent phishing scam has targeted Mac users by redirecting them from legitimate websites to fake websites which tell them that their computer is infected with a virus. The user is then offered Mac Defender "anti-virus" software to solve the issue.

Apple also offers instructions and tips for avoiding installation of the malware and how to remove the malware.

Source: Mac Rumors

View: Apple Knowledge Base article

A little delayed, but at least they're finally doing something about it.

Why would you expect them to do anything about it in the first place? If a user chooses to download and install (entering their password in the process) a malicious piece of software, Apple are not obliged to do anything about it.

Why would you expect them to do anything about it in the first place? If a user chooses to download and install (entering their password in the process) a malicious piece of software, Apple are not obliged to do anything about it.

It's called providing service to customers.

Knowing how this is on windows there will be a variant that will work arround this new feature a week after the patch is added (they might even use the new prompt as a way to get users to install it)

IMO both Apple and Microsoft should not bother with these type of Malware. Leave that up to MalwareBytes and scanners. Exploits and things in the OS code sure, but if its something that requires user installation, asking if they are sure through UAC or providing password through OS X, and just not researching what the hell you downloaded and where you got it from should just be the user's fault.

Hmm I downloaded a scanner from some company nobody has even heard of and has a weird domain thats very long, but lets install it anyway!

MS/Apple needs to release something to get this off my system

Cool its gone now

Week later they download a SIMILAR software.

I have seen this happen way too many times helping people out. They get malware about every other week.

First people on Neowin complained like crazy about Apple not providing any official support to help affected customers. Now the company is doing something about it and it isn't any good either. Though crowd to please around here. At least Apple responds and tries to help out, even if it's the customer's own fault/responsibility. Most people just aren't tech savvy or aware of the online threats so it's good that the company tries to help out the best they can. Even if they can't protect everyone from everything, sitting idly by isn't the way to go either.

Brilliant attitude.

But seeing as you asked:

- They need a solution for when people call their support line. No solution means more calls, wasted time and extra costs for them

- They have a good reputation when it comes to malware, and they'd like to keep it that way

- Your apparent favored "too f**king bad" approach to dealing with your customers actually isn't good for business

something that compromises your OS should be at least looked at by the vendor, microsoft does this all the time (monthly removers).

Real Life example-

Customer: "I bought this new Mac from the Apple Store, because I don't know anything about computers, and I've had a lot of problems with Viruses before"

Apple Sales rep: "Macs are very easy to use even for a complete novice. Macs also don't have a problem with Viruses or any other Malware. They are also very reliable and hardly ever have any software issues"

... 3 months later ...

Customer: "I'm starting to get the hang of the Mac now, I can manage my photos and I have learnt how to install software and change settings. The only problem I have at the moment is that my computer told me that it had system problems. I clicked the OK button to fix it, put in my password as I usually do when settings need to be changed, and now it is asking for my credit card details to fix the problem. I might still be a novice but I suspect that this is not originate from the computer or from Apple because Apple already have my credit card details on file. Can you tell me what to do?"

Garry the Apple Sales rep: "Not my problem. Get Lost"

• Like 1

No matter what, Apple has this reputation of "most secure system" to maintain. It?s not a choice to provide an update to fix this, it?s an obligation.

First people on Neowin complained like crazy about Apple not providing any official support to help affected customers. Now the company is doing something about it and it isn't any good either. Though crowd to please around here. At least Apple responds and tries to help out, even if it's the customer's own fault/responsibility. Most people just aren't tech savvy or aware of the online threats so it's good that the company tries to help out the best they can. Even if they can't protect everyone from everything, sitting idly by isn't the way to go either.

I always hated the fact that mac targets to people who know nothing about computers. You can cause just as much damage to a persons life with a computer and internet connection as you can with a car, and you need a license to drive a car. I think it's time we implemented computing licenses. If you want on the internet, you need a computing license.

It would prevent a lot of these problems...

I always hated the fact that mac targets to people who know nothing about computers.

That's a common misconception. They don't. Their aim is to try and make the best computer they can. And one part of that is to make the computer easy to use.

LOL at Apple and Mac users getting a dose of reality..

This patch is nothing.. It's a PR move to try to silence millions of users who got infected. It doesn't solve virus issues on Macs that are happening more and more.

Here's an advice for less technical Mac users (most of them are).. get an anti-virus software. If you didn't live in delusion that OSX is impenetrable, you wouldn't have these issues to begin with and that's 100% Apple's responsibility because they propagated this ignorance and false safety because it made them look better.

• Like 2

Here's an advice for less technical Mac users (most of them are).. get an anti-virus software.

This isn't a virus. Not to mention the fact that even on Windows today many legit anti-virus/malware/trojan software fail to detect their fake nagware-for-money-counterparts and thus fail to protected users against it.

If you didn't live in delusion that OSX is impenetrable, you wouldn't have these issues to begin with and that's 100% Apple's responsibility because they propagated this ignorance and false safety because it made them look better.

Apparently Windows users are just as delusional considering how many PCs are infected, so please let's not pretend this is an issue unique to Mac users.

Indeed, Apple's saying that they are immune to PC viruses isn't propaganda, it's true, there is no Windows Virus out there that can hurt the mac for obvious reasons, and Apple can use this in their marketing in the same way that almost every Windows installer and commercial somewhere includes the phrase "The most secure Windows yet!", without a source its just advertising and largely meaningless.

What Apple should probably be doing though is explaining that there are viruses out there designed specifically to hurt macs, and what users can do to prevent it, and change the default configuration of the network so the firewall is on by default, Snow Leopards setting of Off by default is just stupid. Running any OS requires a degree of common sense and vigilance. This update is a good move (even if for the wrong reasons) but a good support page about things to look out for is what Apple needs

Indeed, Apple's saying that they are immune to PC viruses isn't propaganda, it's true, there is no Windows Virus out there that can hurt the mac for obvious reasons, and Apple can use this in their marketing in the same way that almost every Windows installer and commercial somewhere includes the phrase "The most secure Windows yet!", without a source its just advertising and largely meaningless.

+1

What Apple should probably be doing though is explaining that there are viruses out there designed specifically to hurt macs, and what users can do to prevent it, and change the default configuration of the network so the firewall is on by default, Snow Leopards setting of Off by default is just stupid. Running any OS requires a degree of common sense and vigilance. This update is a good move (even if for the wrong reasons) but a good support page about things to look out for is what Apple needs

Really? That's quite something. Pretty stupid of Apple to leave it as such.

The problem is that Apple and qualified Apple representatives said - either directly or strongly insinuated - that Macs are immune to viruses, period. They've changed their marketing talk now to absolve themselves of responsibility, but where do you think the legions of Apple users who believed that their Mac could never ever get a virus came from?

• Like 1

The problem is that Apple and qualified Apple representatives said - either directly or strongly insinuated - that Macs are immune to viruses, period.

Well, compared to Windows, I think you *can* say that lol

And yes, some Apple representatives are total simpletons, some Apple users - too. And these are the users affected by the script kiddies, not the regular Mac guy. Anyway, *x based systems are way more secure..., but the open community of developers will always be stronger and security updates will always come faster to Linux. So, in terms of security atm Linux > Mac > Windows and that's the realistic view on things either you like it or not.

This isn't a virus. Not to mention the fact that even on Windows today many legit anti-virus/malware/trojan software fail to detect their fake nagware-for-money-counterparts and thus fail to protected users against it.

Apparently Windows users are just as delusional considering how many PCs are infected, so please let's not pretend this is an issue unique to Mac users.

That depends. Windows makes up the vast majority of the worlds computer base. You would have to look at the percentage of users vs. the percentage of infections. It will be interesting to see these statistics in a year or so.

The problem is that Apple and qualified Apple representatives said - either directly or strongly insinuated - that Macs are immune to viruses, period.

Well, compared to Windows, I think you *can* say that lol

Come on, don't be silly. This whole MacGuard/MacDefender debacle proves exactly that dead wrong.

So, in terms of security atm Linux > Mac > Windows and that's the realistic view on things either you like it or not.

Sure, that's why Macs are getting infected by malware that operate using the exact same principles as their Windows counterparts, right?

They're all equally vulnerable, and that's the realistic view on things whether you like it or not.

Apple continuously stating that MACs are immunized againts viruses, but it's in facts against Windows viruses. The ploblem is that someone is using the same tactics on MAC OS then there is now a need for such tools for mac. No one has ever made such antivirus/antimaware tool for MACs. so I think it's now on apple side to release some anti-malware tool (such as Microsoft's malicious software removal tool). MS took that seriously and releasing such tool with almost every security updates. Apple has to support MAC OS such as Microsoft do for Windows. And Please, someone has to make a real MAC OS antivirus/malware software.