Today, Amazon announced that it would be adding HBO content to its Amazon Prime streaming service in an exclusive multi-year deal. The new deal would bring classics like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire and more to the online subscription service. Amazon will begin releasing the first wave of content on May 21, 2014, with other content being released over the course of the multi-year deal.
The initial wave of releases from Amazon on May 21st will include:
- All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords
- Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End
- Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
- Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack
- Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
- Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher
This deal is the first of its kind giving Amazon a huge advantage over other streaming services like Netflix and Hulu Plus. Later in the year, Amazon will also add HBO GO support to its newly released streaming box, Fire TV. Despite Amazon Primes recent $20 price increase, it has continued to add value to its service by adding HBO content, Foxs 24 and Amazon Originals.
Source: Amazon | Image via Amazon