HD DVD to Account 70% of High Def DVD Player Market?

Toshiba's commercial release of its HD DVD players in the U.S. has ignited the era of high definition videos in living rooms for the masses. The Blu-ray will commercially launch only in a couple of months and those months that remain before will be enough to allow HD DVD to receive huge publicity among consumers and grab about 70% of high definition DVD players market by year end, believes research firm ABI Research. North America represents by far the most important market for the new high-definition formats, accounting for more than 60% of all HDTVs that ABI Research expects will be shipped during 2006.

The research firm believes that in the short-term future earlier entry to the market and substantially lower price tag will give HD DVD a lead over competing Blu-ray. By the end of 2006, according to the latest update to the firm's Consumer Electronics Research Service, Blu-ray players alone will account for only about 30% of the global high-definition DVD player market, which leaves HD DVD a huge 70% chunk.

View: The full story
News source: Xbit Labs

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Mozilla users warned--upgrade now

Previous Article

First PhysX-Supporting Game Goes "Gold"

Join the conversation!

Login or Sign Up to read and post a comment.

-1 Comments - Add comment