While the Windows 10 spring update is cruising toward an RTM, Microsoft hasn't forgotten about its weekly Redstone 5 build for Skip Ahead Insiders. Today, the company released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17634 to those that are on the subset of the Fast ring.
There isn't much in the way of new features, but there are a couple that have to do with app features:
Search is now available in Calendar for Windows 10!
Now you can find past or future events by searching for the name, location, people included or words in the event body. Events that match your search will be clearly visible on your calendar, while those that don’t will be greyed-out so you can find what you need quickly.
Cortana Show Me now supports voice queries
Last week, we introduced Cortana Show Me, a preview app designed to show you around Windows 10 settings. We’re here with some updates to try – you can now launch the app through voice queries. Simply say to Cortana, “Show me how to change my background,” and you’ll get the previous help results, with a new “Let’s go” button below, which launches the guided help experience. Everything else is the same as last week – the app is available in English (US and Great Britain) and in German, and there are 15 settings guides. While most Insiders don’t need pointers like this, it’s for all the friends and family we have who need a pointer – please share it with them.
You can download Cortana Show Me from Microsoft Store.
Note: If you’re using keyboard navigation with your device, you will need to use Alt + Tab to move between Settings and Cortana Show Me.
Here are some voice queries to try:
- Update Windows – Try, “Update my Windows device”
- Check if an app is installed – Try, “How to see what apps are installed”
- Uninstall an app – Try “How to uninstall apps”
- Change your desktop background – Try, “Show me how to change my background”
- Use Airplane Mode – Try, “How do I turn on airplane mode”
- Change your display brightness – Try, “Show me how to change my screen brightness”
- Add nearby printers or scanners – Try, “How to add a printer”
- Turn off Windows Defender Security Center – Try, “Show me how to turn off Windows Defender Security Center”
- Change Wi-Fi settings – Try, “Show me how to change Wi-Fi network”
- Change your power settings – Try, “How to change when my computer goes to sleep”
- Discover Bluetooth devices – Try, “Show me how to discover devices”
- Check your version of Windows – Try, “How do I find my current version of Windows”
Note that the Cortana Show Me app was already available to those on the Fast ring builds, or Redstone 4. It was introduced with build 17128; of course, since Redstone 4 and Redstone 5 builds are being released in parallel, you're going to see new features show up in both for the time being.
Obviously, Redstone 5 development has a long way to go. We're now a couple of weeks from Redstone 4 being released to the public, so it's going to be about another six months before Redstone 5 is done. Microsoft will likely tell us more about it at its Build 2018 developer conference in May.