Smart wearables specialist Misfit has unveiled the Shine 2, the new version of its popular fitness and sleep monitor, which introduces a range of new features to boost the capabilities of the device.
A 'halo of rainbow-colored lights' on the face of the device - which are said to be clearly visible outdoors, even in direct sunlight - allows users to monitor their progress, and (somehow) to tell the time as well. The new wearable also incorporates a motivational feature called Misfit Move, which prompts the user with a vibrational 'nudge' to get off their butt and get moving, if they've been inactive for an extended period.
As Misfit explains, the Shine 2 offers a wide range of features and capabilities:
- Tracks steps, calories, distance; automatically tracks light and deep sleep; activity tagging feature for swimming, basketball, tennis, soccer, yoga, dance, and more
- Multicolor LED lights show progress, tell time, and provide text & call notifications
- Vibration motor gives Misfit Move inactivity alerts to keep you moving; wakes you up gently in the morning with a vibe alarm
- Connect with Misfit Link to control your world—play music, take a selfie, or interact with variety of internet services and smart home devices
- No charging required; user-replaceable watch battery lasts up to 6 months; Water resistant to 50 meters
- Elegantly designed from aircraft grade aluminum; modular and wearable anywhere on your body
Misfit says that the new device has been greatly improved with "more advanced hardware and firmware", which includes not only a 3-axis accelerometer, but also a new 3-axis magnetometer. It adds that all of its hardware improvements come together to offer better touch responsiveness, faster syncing and extended Bluetooth range, compared with its predecessor.
The Shine 2 connects to other devices via Bluetooth 4.0 or above, and is compatible with a range of iOS hardware, Android phones and tablets running 4.3 Jelly Bean onwards, as well as Windows Phone 8.1 handsets.
Misfit's Shine 2 will go on sale worldwide in November, priced at $99.99, and will be available in Carbon Black and Rose Gold color options.