VeraCrypt is a free disk encryption software based on TrueCrypt. It adds enhanced security to the algorithms used for system and partitions encryption making it immune to new developments in brute-force attacks.
For example, when the system partition is encrypted, TrueCrypt uses PBKDF2-RIPEMD160 with 1000 iterations whereas in VeraCrypt we use 327661. And for standard containers and other partitions, TrueCrypt uses at most 2000 iterations but VeraCrypt uses 655331 for RIPEMD160 and 500000 iterations for SHA-2 and Whirlpool.
This enhanced security adds some delay only to the opening of encrypted partitions without any performance impact to the application use phase. This is acceptable to the legitimate owner but it makes it much more harder for an attacker to gain access to the encrypted data.
VeraCrypt storage format is INCOMPATIBLE with TrueCrypt storage format.
VeraCrypt 1.0f-2 release notes:
- Mounting speed improvement, up to 20% quicker on 64-bit (contributed by Nils Maier)
- Add option to set default hash/TrueCryptMode used for mounting volumes.
- Use TrueCryptMode/Hash specified in command line in password dialog.
- Solve issue volumes not auto-dismounting when quitting VeraCrypt.
- Solve issue VeraCrypt window not reopening by clicking dock icon.
- Solve preferences dialog not closing when clicking on the 'X' icon.
- Solve read-only issue when mounting non-FAT volumes in some cases.
- Support opening/exploring mounted volumes on desktops other than Gnome/KDE.
- Solve various installer issues when running on less common configurations
- Minor fixes (see git history for more information)
- Solve CryptAcquireContext vulnerability reported by Open Crypto Audit Phase II.
- Proper handling of random generator failures. Inform user in such cases.
- TrueCrypt Mode related changes:
- Support mounting TrueCrypt system partition (no conversion yet)
- Support TrueCrypt volumes as System Favorites.
- Correct displaying wrong TrueCrypt mode in volume properties when SHA-256 is used.
- Solve PIN BLOCKED issue with smart cards in a special case.
- Correctly handle file access errors when mounting containers.
- Solve several issues reported by the Static Code Analysis too Coverity.
- Bootloader: Add "Verifying Password..." message.
- When UAC prompt fails (for example timeout), offer the user to retry the operation.
- Uninstall link now open the standard "Add/Remove Programs" window.
- On uninstall, remove all VeraCrypt references from registry and disk.
- Included VeraCryptExpander in the Setup.
- Add option to temporary cache password when mounting multiple favorites.
- Minor fixes and enhancements (see git history for more information)