While 360-degree videos have started to become more mainstream, the quality isn't quite there yet when it comes to consumer or even professional offerings. YouTube has been the go-to platform since 2015, but it now it appears that Vimeo is finally updating its service with support for the 360-degree video format.
Vimeo has been around for a little over a decade and is a bit different from its YouTube counterpart. The streaming service is geared more towards professionals and offers plans that can be purchased to host content on the site. While it was a bit late to the party, it's good to see the firm once again evolve its services by offer 360-degree video support and a wide variety of tools for content creators.
In terms of features, Vimeo is touting the following:
- Unmatched quality: Upload in up to 8K, stream in high quality, and host, manage, and publish your 360 videos — all in one place.
- Customizable settings: You deserve control over your videos. So go on and customize your field of view, outro, and more.
- 360 Video School: Whether you’re a 360 pro or newcomer, we’re continuously adding lessons to further your journey.
- Sell your videos: Earn more on the first major marketplace for selling 360 videos, all with your PRO or Business membership.
- Powerful integrations: Upload directly from places like Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, and watch from our app with Zeiss, GearVR, and Daydream headsets.
- Find inspiration: Discover today’s best 360 filmmakers by following our brand-new curated channel.
- Watch offline: Are you underground or up in the air? Download a 360 video on your phone to stream offline and enjoy at your command.
One interesting tidbit that comes when watching 360-degree content on Vimeo is that there is a directional guide on the bottom right-hand corner. This will allow you to track where you are exactly in the space of the video and is a nice touch. Be sure to check out the clip above for an example of the 360 experience.