Italian blog Aggiornamenti Lumia has gotten its hands on the new Mixed Reality Viewer preview that is slated to be included in either the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which is coming in October, or Redstone 4. The app is better known as "View 3D" and is available now in the Windows 10 1703, Creators Update. For those not aware, this app is included to enable everyone to easily open 3D models inside of Windows.
Mixed Reality Viewer is currently available to Windows Insider users in the Fast Ring with Skip Ahead enabled, so for those users who are already testing the first Windows 10 Redstone 4 builds. In addition to the name change (previously View 3D), the new version - 2.1708.30142.0 -, introduces the following changes (translated from Italian);
- Loading the app and its contents will be shown with a small 3D cube
- New logo represented by a 3D Cube (the same as used for uploads)
- All controls have now been placed high (information, controls, virtual camera, and full screen display)
- When shooting mixed-reality photographs, you will notice that the "All-In-Camera" and "Timer" icons have been positioned at the bottom left
- The timer now works properly
- If you reduce the size of the window, controls will automatically be grouped under "Other with 3D"
- Corrections and general improvements
No leak would be complete without screenshots. For those not living on the edge, you can view the subtle changes from View 3D below, and the About screen above.
If you like living dangerously, Aggiornamenti Lumia has also made the AppX package available to download at a Mega link, but it can also be installed through the Windows Store if you are already Skip Ahead insider. It should also be noted that it's currently no longer possible to sign up for Skip Ahead updates. The blog also notes that this app is no longer supported on Windows 10 Mobile, which means yet another app is going the way of the dodo on the platform.
Be advised that should you sideload this app on Windows 10, Neowin takes no responsibility for resulting instability or other problems.
Source and images: Aggiornamenti Lumia (Italian)