Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
Wireshark 3.4.8 bug fixes:
- Dissector bug reported for Bluetooth Cycling Power Measurement characteristic for extreme angles value Issue 17505.
- vcruntime140_1.dll deleted on Wireshark update/install Issue 17506.
- Raknet Addresses are incorrectly identified. Issue 17509.
- Editcap saving files as ethernet when specifying '-T ieee-802-11-*' Issue 17520.
- CoAP dissector confuses Content-Format with Accept Issue 17536.
Updated Protocol Support
BT ATT, BT LE LL, CoAP, DLM3, GSM SIM, iLBC, and RakNet
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware