It was close to a year ago when PayPal announced its new “expanded strategic partnership” with Samsung Pay. Since that time, things have been fairly quiet about the partnership but now it looks like folks will finally be able to use their PayPal account through Samsung Pay.
So what does this mean? It means that starting today, you have the ability to use your PayPal account wherever Samsung Pay is accepted. If you use your PayPal account for payment, you'll still be eligible to earn Samsung Reward points. There is also peace of mind when it comes to the transaction as your account information won't be shared with the merchant. Instead, tokenization will be utilized to create a virtual account number for each transaction.
PayPal has also included instructions on how to create a PayPal top-up card from within the Samsung Pay app. If you'd like to do so, simply follow the instructions down below.
- Tap “+” on upper right hand of Samsung Pay home screen
- Select “Add PayPal” in the “Add payment card section”
- If you have One Touch enabled, the account will be provisioned. If not, you’ll need to input your account credentials.
- Press “Next” and enter a pin for in-store purchases
- Select a Debit or bank funding source to top-up the account
- Press “Agree & Continue” and you’re all set!
Again, this is available starting from today but does look to be rolling out, so if you don't have it yet you may need to check back later to see if the capability has been activated for your account.