Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.
Stellarium key features:
- Realistic simulation of the sky, sunrise and sunset
- Default catalogue of over 600,000 stars
- Downloadable additional catalogues for up to 210 million stars
- Catalog data for all New General Catalogue (NGC) objects
- Images of almost all Messier objects and the Milky Way
- Artistic illustrations for all 88 modern constellations
- More than a dozen different cultures with their constellations
- Solar and lunar eclipse simulation
- Photorealistic landscapes (more are available on the website)
- Scripting support with ECMAScript (a few demo scripts are included)
- Extendable with plug-ins: 8 plug-ins installed by default, including:
- artificial satellites plug-in (updated from an on-line TLE database)
- ocular simulation plug-in (shows how objects look like in a given ocular)
- Solar System editor plug-in (imports comet and asteroid data from the MPC)
- telescope control plug-in (Meade LX200 and Celestron NexStar compatible)
The major changes of this version:
- After more than 20 years of development the program is finally accurate enough for historical application.
- This is the first release based on the Qt6 framework, so the project is safe for future development. These packages are tagged with a version number like 1.22.3.
- We keep releasing Qt5-based packages for legacy or obsolete systems. This may include many Windows users who have to run ANGLE mode. These packages are tagged with a version number like 0.22.3.
What is new for users?
- A new, much better skylight model (Not for MacOS and OpenGL ES2 systems, sorry.)
- Many details around eclipses
- Updated Observation List features
- New features in AstroCalc tool
- HiDPI improvements
- Better dithering
- Able to use Windows location service (Windows)
- New skyculture: Samoan
- Updated several skycultures
- Updates in Angle Measure, Satellites, Oculars, Remote Control, Pulsars plugins
- Many more bugfixes. [full list of changes]
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware