Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
Wireshark 4.0.2 changelog:
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
- wnpa-sec-2022-09 Multiple dissector infinite loops.
- wnpa-sec-2022-10 Kafka dissector memory exhaustion.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Qt: Endpoints dialog - unexpected byte unit suffixes in packet columns. Issue 18229.
- GOOSE: field "floating_point" not working anymore. Issue 18491.
- EVS Header-Full format padding issues. Issue 18498.
- Wireshark 4.0.0 VOIP playback has no sound and can’t resume after pausing. Issue 18510.
- Wireshark crashes when exporting a profile on Mac OSX if there is no extension. Issue 18525.
- EVS dissector missing value description. Issue 18550.
- Qt 6 font descriptions not backward compatible with Qt 5. Issue 18553.
- Wireshark, wrong TCP ACKed unseen segment message. Issue 18558.
- Invalid Cyrillic symbol in timezone at \"Arrival Time\" field in frame. Issue 18562.
- ProtoBuf parse extension definitions failed. Issue 18599.
- Fuzz job crash output: fuzz-2022-11-09-11134.pcap. Issue 18613.
- Fuzz job crash output: fuzz-2022-11-14-11111.pcap. Issue 18632.
- Wireshark is using old version of ASN (ETSI TS 125 453 V11.2.0) which is imapacting length of param in the messages. Issue 18646.
- BGP: False IGMP flags value in EVPN routes (type 6,7,8) Issue 18660.
- wslog assumes stderr and stdout exist. Issue 18684.
- Editing packet comments, with non-ASCII characters, on Windows saves them in the local code page, not in UTF-8. Issue 18698.
- Unable to decrypt PSK based DTLS traffic which uses Connection ID. Issue 18705.
- HTTP2 tests fail when built without nghttp2. Issue 18707.
Updated Protocol Support
- ASN.1 PER, ASTERIX, BGP, BPv6, DTLS, EVS, GOOSE, GSM Osmux, IPv6, Kafka, Locamation IM, MONGO, NXP 802.15.4, OpenFlow v6, PCAP, Protobuf, RTP, S1AP, SKINNY, TCP, and WASSP
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware