E3 2011: Microsoft Press Conference

For those of you who didn't see the conference, here it is summed up: nsTRA.gif

Yeah to bad Kinect stuff was less than 50% of their presentation though, not by much, but still slightly below half. with about the same percentage for other non kinect games, or non kinect games with kinect capability, and the new dash filling up the remaning.

I understand their point that Mass Effect 3 could also be done using a headset, but it's not. So why they wouldn't like that ability I don't understand.

No it couldn't really. Well yeah it could, but then they would have to write a full API and library for voice commands, noise separation, Voice recognition and so on themselves. And then they also wouldn't have the capabilities of the kinect microphone that suprasses that of the headset, and you would have to be annoyed by the annoying headset wire.

meanwhile Kinect is plug and play for them, it does voice detection, voice recognition, library for voice commands, and plug and play for recognizing custom commands, like they are doing.

For them adding in their own support for voice commands without Kinect would cost a LOT of money, and it wouldn't be as good.

Again, and for the millionth time, these are optional controls, use them if you want or just use the damn controller. It seems people can't get their head around this at all. What part of "optional" don't you all get? If anything Sony has "ramed" the move into more "core" games at this point.

If you are saying it for a millionth time then you are sounding like a broken record and missing the point. I explicitly stated the ME3 kinect integration was optional which was a GOOD thing in addition to that the kinect integration within forza that had hit a sweet spot with the head tracking. Kinect is being rammed into almost everything and they are pushing it too hard. Destroying franchises like fable (its not optional in Fable). The new one looked ridiculous. There is no concrete evidence to show that Kinect integration has been omitted altogether from GoW3 however I think CliffyB and the GoW team and intelligent enough to not include it. It is possible that there maybe a kinect specific mode but full on kinect integration I do not see happening, its a game for core gamers, as for MW3 again not enough details have been given about it IW may include it or may not, its best if they don't it just wont feel right in a CoD game.

Kinect should supplement games like the above 2 examples, the option to play the game conventionally should always be there unless we are talking about kinect specific games.

Ryse and Kinect Star Wars seem the same to me just set in different time lines and contexts, even though I am a really big star wars fan I think I will give Kinect Star Wars a miss.

Ghost Recon looked awesome with Kinect, I mentioned this before but I guess you didn't bother to read it. It works well in some situations not all.

As for the comment about move well I really do not care about Move, I own one and I think its rubbish compared to the kinect the games shown at the Sony E3 conference did not entice me that were Move titles. The medieval title that was shown was diabolical.

Microsoft does have some say in where kinect gets integrated, it can put pressure on Developers to integrate it Sony did the same with Bioshock Infinite.

If you are saying it for a millionth time then you are sounding like a broken record and missing the point. I explicitly stated the ME3 kinect integration was optional which was a GOOD thing in addition to that the kinect integration within forza that had hit a sweet spot with the head tracking. Kinect is being rammed into almost everything and they are pushing it too hard. Destroying franchises like fable (its not optional in Fable). The new one looked ridiculous. There is no concrete evidence to show that Kinect integration has been omitted altogether from GoW3 however I think CliffyB and the GoW team and intelligent enough to not include it. It is possible that there maybe a kinect specific mode but full on kinect integration I do not see happening, its a game for core gamers, as for MW3 again not enough details have been given about it IW may include it or may not, its best if they don't it just wont feel right in a CoD game.

Kinect should supplement games like the above 2 examples, the option to play the game conventionally should always be there unless we are talking about kinect specific games.

Ryse and Kinect Star Wars seem the same to me just set in different time lines and contexts, even though I am a really big star wars fan I think I will give Kinect Star Wars a miss.

Ghost Recon looked awesome with Kinect, I mentioned this before but I guess you didn't bother to read it. It works well in some situations not all.

As for the comment about move well I really do not care about Move, I own one and I think its rubbish compared to the kinect the games shown at the Sony E3 conference did not entice me that were Move titles. The medieval title that was shown was diabolical.

Microsoft does have some say in where kinect gets integrated, it can put pressure on Developers to integrate it Sony did the same with Bioshock Infinite.

Your argument about it destroying franchises doesn't stick at all. If they had originally smacked it into fable3 and you had to use it then sure I'd agree, but the new fable kinect game has nothing to do with a future fable 4, it's a different team in the end and who cares if it shares the same name and takes place in the same universe? What's the big deal here? If you don't like it don't get it, it's got little effect on the core Fable RPG game, it's just a spinoff.

People are moaning how adding it to core games is a gimmic, so when they make specific games for it that aren't that kiddy it's now trashing franchises? WTF? It seems that regardless of how it's used, as a optional interactive way or as the base for a full game theres something to bitch about out of this.

Agree with some but not all. ME3 kinect feature is optional it retains the ability to play the old fashioned way.

Ryse was basically Kinect Star Wars but set in Roman times :laugh: with some different moves looked not so good and probably will not take off. I think people are and will get sick of kinect this and that, they are over doing it pushing it in anything and everything which will be its downfall.

As someone has already mentioned kinect works great and complements some games in some situations such as forza but it seems Microsoft's philosophy is to ram it into every game almost now.

Ryse looks like Kinect Star Wars? Could've fooled me. :blink:

Anyone got a good video link? The ones I keep finding are either 360/480p or they have horrible artifacting. I checked the thread for links but it seems there are none for a full recording of the conference.

Anyone?

Your argument about it destroying franchises doesn't stick at all. If they had originally smacked it into fable3 and you had to use it then sure I'd agree, but the new fable kinect game has nothing to do with a future fable 4, it's a different team in the end and who cares if it shares the same name and takes place in the same universe? What's the big deal here? If you don't like it don't get it, it's got little effect on the core Fable RPG game, it's just a spinoff.

People are moaning how adding it to core games is a gimmic, so when they make specific games for it that aren't that kiddy it's now trashing franchises? WTF? It seems that regardless of how it's used, as a optional interactive way or as the base for a full game theres something to bitch about out of this.

you know, it's kind of like how Fable Coin Golf is ruining his Fable :)

Anyone?

Nope. There haven't even been any HD streaming ones to begin with, just 480p or so, so I very seriously doubt you'll find an HD recording.

Are you sure Gametrailers wasn't HD. it seemed to be in HD, but quality was very up and down, but when it was going good it seemed to be HD.

Are you sure Gametrailers wasn't HD. it seemed to be in HD, but quality was very up and down, but when it was going good it seemed to be HD.

I never saw a 720p stream from Gametrailers.

Nope. There haven't even been any HD streaming ones to begin with, just 480p or so, so I very seriously doubt you'll find an HD recording.

The Microsoft Presspass stream was streaming 720p I believe... only 3MBP/S but still good enough (If they can manage to stream 1080p at 5MBP/S I'm sure 3 is enough for 720p) :p

I found them last year, strange that this year there are none to be found...

I found them last year, strange that this year there are none to be found...

Just found out you can download it in Zune on your Xbox 360, in HD, for free.

Just found out you can download it in Zune on your Xbox 360, in HD, for free.

Will do

Just an FYI, but the press kits page of Xbox.com was updated a few days ago to include lots of content for Xbox games shown at E3, including high-quality (720P in most cases) video. Ryse looks stunning in 720P :woot: