E3 2011: Microsoft Press Conference

what the .....? :blink:

it's a photoshop with the Life is short... commercial I think :p

Sorry, mate. But being a guy who plays SC2, and CSS competitively, it is hard to get the point of Kinect (except for milking good franchises and making money selling stuff to the NA and UK market). :)

My point being if you expected a conf devoid of any Kinect mention, you were delusional. There was equal mix of core games with empasis on Kinect, not sure how else could they show the new dash etc. stuff.

People won't see a flood of new exclusive hardcore games from MS until the new system I bet. If the 2013 date is right, like I expect, then next year might see 2 or 3 exclusives maybe, like some more Alan Wake etc. But as far as the return of bulk hardcore stuff, nah. The only reason the nintendo and Sony conf will be better is due to new hardware, the rest is just more of the same game wise. Everyones milking their strong titles with more sequels. People hungry for new IP can look at the 3rd party devs for it but all of them are going multiplatform more and more, so regardless of the system you have you'll be covered.

So we are getting Live TV and YouTube, even finger tracking!

But we can't get live streaming of E3 on our consoles...

the 1000 other sites to stream E3 aren't enough?

So I've watched some of what I missed, no price drop? Thought that would happen for sure.

Also for those not too impressed with all the Kinect,

The Xbox at the start of the show had it right:

"Please reconnect controller"

:p

Awww boy, these gifs are brutal

ssdance.gif

:laugh:

Price drop can happen at anytime, it doesn't need to be at E3. They'll wait and see what the other 2 do and if Sony does any PS3 price drops.

@stephentotilo: Cloud saves and "beacons" coming to Xbox Live . Details: http://bit.ly/kw4JUm

Link broken (just goes to Kotaku home page)... guessing the article isn't up yet?

Working here. Seems like some pretty cool stuff, glad to see MS and Sony pushing towards the cloud.

@stephentotilo: Cloud saves and "beacons" coming to Xbox Live . Details: http://bit.ly/kw4JUm

Link broken (just goes to Kotaku home page)... guessing the article isn't up yet?

http://kotaku.com/5809076/cloud-storage-for-game-saves-beacons-coming-to-xbox-live

Now why would you prioritize Kinect out the ass over announcing something good like this that takes all of 2 minutes? Especially considering it's something your competition has and now you're adding it taking away their exclusivity.

Haha I just noticed how badly acted out that above gif is, why are MS still taping footage and getting actors to act it out a year after Kinect launches?

http://kotaku.com/5809076/cloud-storage-for-game-saves-beacons-coming-to-xbox-live

Now why would you prioritize Kinect out the ass over announcing something good like this that takes all of 2 minutes? Especially considering it's something your competition has and now you're adding it taking away their exclusivity.

Haha I just noticed how badly acted out that above gif is, why are MS still taping footage and getting actors to act it out a year after Kinect launches?

Isn't it the same reason for the scripted video sequences that they have done for years? The game can be presented in the way they want it to be and no game breaking glitches to ruin the show. The lame illusion of people playing is enough for most people because we are supposed to be focusing on the content. For Kinect, they are trying to give examples of how it will be played. The lack of interesting content during the Disney/Elmo stuff leads people to scrutinize elsewhere (like the actors).

Because E3 doesn't end with just the conference. Nothing wrong with giving out more info all through the day and tomorrow etc.

Because E3 doesn't end with just the conference. Nothing wrong with giving out more info all through the day and tomorrow etc.

I know that, just saying it's far more conference announcement worthy than some of the stuff.

Isn't it the same reason for the scripted video sequences that they have done for years? The game can be presented in the way they want it to be and no game breaking glitches to ruin the show. The lame illusion of people playing is enough for most people because we are supposed to be focusing on the content. For Kinect, they are trying to give examples of how it will be played. The lack of interesting content during the Disney/Elmo stuff leads people to scrutinize elsewhere (like the actors).

Yeah the hardware has been out for a year, I don't think you need to act to give an example of it working.

When games are shown at E3, small, script heavy portions of games are shown, but people actually play them.

So I've watched some of what I missed, no price drop? Thought that would happen for sure.

Also for those not too impressed with all the Kinect,

:p

Awww boy, these gifs are brutal

ssdance.gif

:laugh:

I'm not sure if you understand the concept of how HDMI/Video splitters work.

but if you notice something ALL the Kinect games, lagged the EXACT same amount on the big screen compared to the players. And this same lag does not exist when you play Kinect at home.

It is pretty much the same Lag I see on the HDMI splitters at work for our TV setups and such though.

Also I don't believe it's necessarily bad acted, but that that game sequence is scripted, and they're supposed to mimic what they do on the screen.

I know that, just saying it's far more conference announcement worthy than some of the stuff.

Yeah the hardware has been out for a year, I don't think you need to act to give an example of it working.

When games are shown at E3, small, script heavy portions of games are shown, but people actually play them.

But that's just it, that is how you play Kinect. For actual controller-focused games, I could care less if they showed the announcer and game players because it doesn't matter what they look like playing the game. For Kinect, it is valuable to see the players because that is how the end user might be playing the game which is crucial to the experience. No matter how uninteresting and laughable it is to some people.

I was under the impression that people just acted like they were playing games because I assumed there was still the chance something could go wrong (bug crash, system failure, etc). I guess that's what I get for assuming.

Hawkman, isn't the lag due the fact that it is actually a video and the people fake playing or is this what AB was talking about?

Hawkman, isn't the lag due the fact that it is actually a video and the people fake playing or is this what AB was talking about?

Might be. not all games ran recorded demos' though. so some of the stuff was live I believe for example the Kinect Fun thingie at the very least was live. and the Ghost recon stuff and ME seemed to be live.

and CoD was definitely live :) though not Kinect but.

Anyone got a good video link? The ones I keep finding are either 360/480p or they have horrible artifacting. I checked the thread for links but it seems there are none for a full recording of the conference.

hey audio stop it, learn from me the virtues of acceptance and love - if i could become a proud PS3 user there's no need for you to be here bashing the 360 and MS and trying to make them look bad. it's really pointless.

i will admit this was a weak E3 showing from MS, nothing new to get excited about, disappointed that Halo 4 will likely be on existing hardware. i think both MS and Sony are fast joining the progress-reluctant NASA club with lots of IKEA filing cabinets to store all those pipe dreams and not much action beyond that.

To much Kinect BS, most "gamers" don't care about Kinect. The only thing that seems worth looking at is the Forza integration, the rest is just a gimmick and the face that the shooters or FPS games are all on rails and that is just crap IMO. The device is amazing as I have messed with it numerous times but I just don't think they should be making all of the hardcore games such as Halo, GoW, and Ghost Recon geared so much toward Kinect, something look cool but leave it on the controller please. Leave the hardcore games alone as they are better on a controller anyways and a lot of people like my self don't have the space to use Kinect to it's fullest. I know not all of the game are pure Kinect but a lot of the stuff is just a gimmick IMO.

IGN's review of Microsoft's Five Biggest Fails of E3:

Source

Have to say I agree with most of it.

Agreed on the first two points, disagreed on the other three -- especially Ryse. That looked amazing. If they don't like Kinect, then they don't like Kinect, but that looked fun to me.

I understand their point that Mass Effect 3 could also be done using a headset, but it's not. So why they wouldn't like that ability I don't understand.

Agree with some but not all. ME3 kinect feature is optional it retains the ability to play the old fashioned way.

Ryse was basically Kinect Star Wars but set in Roman times :laugh: with some different moves looked not so good and probably will not take off. I think people are and will get sick of kinect this and that, they are over doing it pushing it in anything and everything which will be its downfall.

As someone has already mentioned kinect works great and complements some games in some situations such as forza but it seems Microsoft's philosophy is to ram it into every game almost now.

Agree with some but not all. ME3 kinect feature is optional it retains the ability to play the old fashioned way.

Ryse was basically Kinect Star Wars but set in Roman times :laugh: with some different moves looked not so good and probably will not take off. I think people are and will get sick of kinect this and that, they are over doing it pushing it in anything and everything which will be its downfall.

As someone has already mentioned kinect works great and complements some games in some situations such as forza but it seems Microsoft's philosophy is to ram it into every game almost now.

That's hardly a MS thing, MS isn't forcing bioware to add it to ME3, they aren't forcing Ubisoft to add it into Ghost recon and so on. The only thing MS is doing is adding more support for it throughout the 360 dash and also with the expanded voice commands. The rest are some kinect only first party/3rd party games, that's not "raming it into every game", not by a long shot. Did you see kinect in GoW3? MW3? etc etc?

Again, and for the millionth time, these are optional controls, use them if you want or just use the damn controller. It seems people can't get their head around this at all. What part of "optional" don't you all get? If anything Sony has "ramed" the move into more "core" games at this point.