66 posts in this topic

Posted

[url="http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9029/desktopoy.jpg"][img]http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3165491/desktopoy-1_large_verge_medium_landscape.png[/img][/url]

Of course this guy doesn't work at Microsoft ;) But he could...

More info [url="http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/25/2824064/incredible-mockup-of-windows-desktop-gone-metro"]here[/url]
1 person likes this

Posted

Indeed, one of the best mock-ups in a while.

Posted

Really like this, but who expects 3rd party developers to follow the UI guidelines for something like this... :(

Posted

Superb, I could go for a desktop like that
1 person likes this

Posted

Good concept, lets see a darker version of it.
1 person likes this

Posted

Wonder if anything could be done with the mouse pointer, I haven't seen any "Metro Mice" :)

Posted

I would prefer if the designer replaced the Taskbar with something similar to the Windows 8 Start Screen (in concept, not design), as I have always disliked the Taskbar as an idea

Posted

[quote name='Callum' timestamp='1330206639' post='594681318']
I would prefer if the designer replaced the Taskbar with something similar to the Windows 8 Start Screen (in concept, not design), as I have always disliked the Taskbar as an idea

Posted

I like that quite a bit, but I don't like the Explorer mockup.

Posted

This is close to what Windows 9 should look like. It's too much for Windows 8, though.

As a side note, I really want to implement a web browser that looks like that. Well, a mixture of this, Zune desktop client, and the old metro concept images of IE9.

Posted

Very clean! (Y)

Posted

[quote name='Chasethebase' timestamp='1330206096' post='594681302']
Really like this, but who expects 3rd party developers to follow the UI guidelines for something like this... :(
[/quote]

Good point. They can barely follow AERO guidelines.

Posted

That looks amazing!

Posted

[quote name='Arceles' timestamp='1330207060' post='594681334']
Some people actually do real work and it's a lot needed, it may not be taskbar but at least something alwasya vailable in the screen with the current instances of the programs running.
[/quote]
I'm a software developer, so I know what "real" (as you call it) computer-based work is, and I know there are better concepts for task management and task switching than the Taskbar.

Posted

Hmm, these are pretty but not necessarily functional. In particular, the concept IE10 browser doesn't leave any handle to move the window - especially if you have lots of tabs open. Actually, this is a pretty big failing of Google Chrome too, although this is worse. (If you have ever used Google Chrome on a touchscreen, you know what I mean. Especially if you tried to drag-to-scroll).

Posted

very minimalist, nice (Y)

Posted

[quote name='Callum' timestamp='1330213977' post='594681510'] I'm a software developer, so I know what "real" (as you call it) computer-based work is, and I know there are better concepts for task management and task switching than the Taskbar. [/quote]
No you don't because I'm an electronics engineer and my software is nowhere near the standards you program. LabVIEW (Control Suites mostly), and MatLAB sounds you?

Posted

I use "Alt+Tab" to move between programs more than I do the taskbar.

Posted

These are really pretty. Clean work. Kinda problematic on funtionality. As mentioned. Plus its too roomy even for touch. Love the Bing page. The taskbar needs a solid back. This looks nice but if there is a busy wallpaper behind. All the transparencies will reduce legibility of text or icons and states.
1 person likes this

Posted

Realistically, when someone makes Good Mockups it is usually completely ignored by the company they are mocking up for. It would be good to see companies actually take notice of their fan made designs and get the designer onboard the project to make some concepts a reality.

I could see this UI coming to Linux.

Posted

A forum member over at the Verge has created a bunch of concept images for what he thinks a true Metro-Windows combination should have looked like. Just to be clear this was not made by me, this was made by [b]Sputnik8 [/b]over at The Verge forums.[i] Click [url="http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept"]here[/url] to view all the concept images over at the verge.[/i]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/zqqgr.jpg[/img]

[i]Click [url="http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept"]here[/url] to view all the concept images over at the verge.[/i]

Personally I think this concept is amazing and it really shows what could have been. Microsoft would do good to hire this fellow. Please view all the concepts before commenting they are worth seeing in full.
3 people like this

Posted

Gotta agree with most of the original post that this guy should be hired by Microsoft. I really like this concept.
1 person likes this

Posted

If MS were not trying to change the desktop and create a unified experience across devices then this would be a nice evolution of Win7 and introduction to Metro that most people would probably find pretty acceptable.
1 person likes this

Posted

I actually wouldn't mind using this. It looks modern, professional, and truly blends the best elements of the Zune experience within Windows. The new Metrosexual garbage looks like it was designed for a kid's first computer.

Posted

Wow, that's impressive! Much more welcoming than the UI mess Windows 8 will be bringing.