• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:38

This is a video of Chris Pirillo's father trying to use Windows 8 for the first time:

(via ghacks.net, linked by Timan on IRC)

This is also the way many users will react to being faced with Windows 8 in its current state. Microsoft need to either change the Start Screen experience to make it more discoverable. Or force users through a first-run tutorial (and even then many users will struggle).

What are your thoughts? Discuss.

#2 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:59

umm Windows 8 will not be released until maby around November so i would assume right now Microsoft has a tutorial in the works as we speak . also ther is many videos how there showing how to use it now some from Microsoft

#3 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:00

Intuitiveness is a red herring. It's not about whether you can learn everything the first time you sit down to use a computer, but if you can remember how to do things after being taught once.

#4 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:31

This was posted in another thread ... why do we get another flame bating thread about Windows 8? Isn't there enough already?

#5 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:33

This was posted in another thread ... why do we get another flame bating thread about Windows 8? Isn't there enough already?

I didn't know it had been posted in another thread. Does it warrant a thread of its own? I believe so. Flamebait? Not really.

#6 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:46

Intuitive or not? Not! Not in its current state.

#7 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:48

Nothing is intuitive. Apple hasn't released any intuitive products, they just released their tutorials as 30-second ads. Which is actually pretty brilliant marketing, as it acts as if you already have it.

#8 deleted_acc

deleted_acc

Neowinian

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:54

when I sat before my girfriends MacBook pro the first time no one told me of hot corners, so I was struggling... for 5 minutes approximately - on the OS with the "ultimate user experience" and which "just works"

when I sat before Windows 8 I was struggling... and again, for 5 minutes

anyone who says it's difficult is either too old to learn ANYTHING or hates the design so much that even trying is out of the question - like the asses I saw who won't even try a console's controller 'cause mouse and wasd is so holy for them they can't even imagine some other idea can work

so: I can belive that someone does NOT LIKE Win8 and does not want to buy it and use it; that's quite fine, I hate the design of OSX and would never want a mac, i don't care about Linux distros either - and no harm done; but if someone says that it is UNLEARNABLE or the learning itself causes pain or an irreal amount of time then the person in question is either very old or very unintelligent or simply exaggerates 'cause of the hatred toward the OS

#9 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:59

This video just proves everything I've been saying so far in all the Windows 8 threads on here. Normal people won't understand how to use it.

#10 freedomx

freedomx

freedomx

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:04

In certain aspects I believe windows 8 is trying to apear to be intuitive and easy to use os but I think that its going to take a lot more than a few clicks to make it feel that way, don't get me wrong I think its faster booting and the improvements under the hood are good but in relation to the over all use and flexibility of using the os its not up to scratch. I think my windows removing the Start orb they want it to make it more fluid but by doing so its lacking functionality in my opinion off course.

#11 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:10

didnt you hear? If you don't agree that windows 8 is awesome then you're a flamebating troll, who doesnt understand technology, afraid of change, and is just like all the people who said windows vista was horrible. :rolleyes:

If you have to read a tutorial or watch a video on how to do basic tasks on anything, then its not intuitive at all.

the way windows is now is far more intuitive. You can easily find your way around the desktop.for example, all this guy would've had to do to open the start page in windows 7 and previous versions is to click the start button/icon. Simple. I know he could've simply hit the windows key on his keyboard, but that's not really being too intuitive now is it?
We all know that button is only there to screw up our full screen games :p

That is not what I was implying by my post. The intuitiveness of Windows 8 has been discussed to a pulp in at least 2 other threads on here, why do we need another thread that what will just end up been same. That's all I was trying to say.

On topic: I believe once everybody sits down in front of Windows 8 for themselves, forgetting everything they have read on here or been told by others, that they will actually realise that Windows 8 isn't as bad as people make out to be.

#12 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:13

This video should be shown to Sinofsky and the rest of the Windows Dev Team. Why in the world remove the familiar Start button and make it so you have to hover your mouse in corners to discover how to access the rest of the UI. That's just retarded if you ask me. To say nothing of the fact that it was still jarring to me to be switching between the Start screen and the Desktop, even after a week of using it. I don't know; maybe I need to give it a couple of months. But making nothing discoverable and the Start screen having no visible cue of how to return to it from the Desktop unless you hover your mouse in the bottom left corner (but why would you ever do that? the Start button is no more) or in the top right hand corner to display the 'Charms' bar (a UI feature that has never existed before and gives no indication on first use that such a thing even exists). Kind of insane.

#13 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:14

didnt you hear? If you don't agree that windows 8 is awesome then you're a flamebating troll, who doesnt understand technology, afraid of change, and is just like all the people who said windows vista was horrible. :rolleyes:

If you have to read a tutorial or watch a video on how to do basic tasks on anything, then its not intuitive at all.

the way windows is now is far more intuitive. You can easily find your way around the desktop.for example, all this guy would've had to do to open the start page in windows 7 and previous versions is to click the start button/icon. Simple. I know he could've simply hit the windows key on his keyboard, but that's not really being too intuitive now is it?
We all know that button is only there to screw up our full screen games :p

Problem is "normal" users like him and many others don't use the keyboard for things like that. They use the mouse for almost everything. Like selecting text, you or I would probably hold shift and use the arrow keys to select text where as they will take their hands off the keyboard and use the mouse to select the text then press the delete key.

I've heard people say "use Alt+F4 to shutdown windows" as their reply when people say the shutdown button is hidden but IMO most "normal" users don't even know that Alt+F4 can be used to close programs let alone access shutdown when the desktop is the main focus.

#14 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:22

Now who' put this on?
The Microsoft.
They are trying to drive me to Mac

:rofl: :rofl:

But seriously, just hit the Windows key on Keyboard. That is what you are supposed to do when you are lost

#15 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:41

This video should be shown to Sinofsky and the rest of the Windows Dev Team. Why in the world remove the familiar Start button and make it so you have to hover your mouse in corners to discover how to access the rest of the UI. That's just retarded if you ask me. To say nothing of the fact that it was still jarring to me to be switching between the Start screen and the Desktop, even after a week of using it. I don't know; maybe I need to give it a couple of months. But making nothing discoverable and the Start screen having no visible cue of how to return to it from the Desktop unless you hover your mouse in the bottom left corner (but why would you ever do that? the Start button is no more) or in the top right hand corner to display the 'Charms' bar (a UI feature that has never existed before and gives no indication on first use that such a thing even exists). Kind of insane.

It's not easy at start, but all you need is someone to tell you about it once, and you're fine.