Samsung Galaxy S III is official: 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display, quad-co

Samsung Galaxy S III is official: 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display, quad-core Exynos processor and gesture functions

samdunghereitisgs3babysdsd.jpg

The Galaxy S III is Samsung's new flagship smartphone and it's finally broken cover at the company's stand-alone Mobile Unpacked event here in London. With a steady stream of fakes, outright leaks and even event rescheduling, Samsung's claimed almost crazy levels of interest for its new smartphone. Weighing in at 133g (4.7 ounces) and whittled to 8.6mm at its thickest, the rounded-off design has more than a little bit in common with its Galaxy Nexus cousin. Of course, it's Samsung's new 1.4GHz Exynos 4 Quad processor doing the legwork, and there's 1GB of RAM to help it out. The display has been bumped up in size to a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED affair, sporting a 1280 x 720 pixel count. Happy snappers will have an 8-megapixel rear shooter to play with, and a 1.9-megapixel eye on the front will take care of those video calls. If you were wondering about radios, it's launching with HSPA+, but there's an LTE version in the cards. As for the interface, it's TouchWiz on top of Android 4.0 again, and there's new gesture functions to help you get around. So, there it is, the phone we've all been waiting for (until the next one) but that's not all, be sure to check our hands-on coverage and additional features for the in-depth breakdown.

Source: Engadget

First hands-on impressions: here

Pentile screen is all you had to say. As an SGS and Infuse owner, it looks like I won't be getting another Samsung. Ordering the HTC One X.

Perhaps you wave your arms in front of the phone and it makes a call?

Or you make the "slice the throat" sign and it mutes/ends the call ? :-D

@AJerman whats a pentile screen and why is it so bad? I currently use an SGS I9000 and have no issues with the display (2 year contract meant I couldn't get the SGS II)

Pentile screen is all you had to say. As an SGS and Infuse owner, it looks like I won't be getting another Samsung. Ordering the HTC One X.

Where does it say that it has a Pentile screen?

I think it's pretty sleek looking. It's not coming till Summer for us in the US, though, and no word if it's coming to Verizon.

i love how they are talking more about the software than the phone itself. for a lot of high end user the software does not matter because (like myself) they will most likely format the phone and put a custom rom on it.

So I guess the "exclusive" reports of 1920x1080 screen, ceramic backing and that neato/useful wireless charging were wrong... why do people keep "reporting" on all this crap?

i love how they are talking more about the software than the phone itself. for a lot of high end user the software does not matter because (like myself) they will most likely format the phone and put a custom rom on it.

They stated from the beginning in that video that it's about the user experience, and people don't get excited about technology for technology.

Where does it say that it has a Pentile screen?

It's mentioned in the original Engaget article:

The screen is a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display. The bad news? The lack of a "Plus" in that name means it's PenTile, which means that pixelation is still visible despite the 306 ppi density, due to the sharing of sub-pixels. The good news is that the resolution is still really good, and should suffice for all but the most eagle-eyed -- although if you're still not sure you can check out our own microscopic comparisons right here. It's also nice to see that the panel is cocooned in Gorilla Glass 2, besting its relative's fortified face, and it also offered great viewing angles.

And alot of users aren't high end users so they don't care that you want to flash your phone, they want the best

dont really care for the plastic look though :/

Me neither! Looks a bit cheap and tacky.

The screen looks really nice though, but I was expecting more of a stand-out design. Nothing really special.

Everything about it is pretty amazing. Samsung really made sure to differentiate themselves from the crowded Android market. The user interface enhancements are absolutely amazing (you pick up the phone, it vibrates as many times as you've had missed calls, the display doesn't shut off if you're looking at it, siri natural voice commands, S Beam sharing to other phones and TVs, and about a hundred other things). Kudos to them, all I can say.

The case is too round. It looks terrible in my opinion. I would have preferred corners that were sharper. Also, a pentile screen in today's market is unacceptable. Looks like I'll be getting a HTC One X, or whatever the neutered US version is called.

Everything about it is pretty amazing. Samsung really made sure to differentiate themselves from the crowded Android market. The user interface enhancements are absolutely amazing (you pick up the phone, it vibrates as many times as you've had missed calls, the display doesn't shut off if you're looking at it, siri natural voice commands, S Beam sharing to other phones and TVs, and about a hundred other things). Kudos to them, all I can say.

Mostly gimmicky features that people would never use after a while or didn't need in the first place, just sounds good in marketing. Why do I need my phone to vibrate when I pick it up when I could just look at the status bar? Do I really want my FFC on at all times when the screen is on just so the screen will stay on when that's rarely an issue as it is?