Samsung Galaxy S III is official: 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display, quad-co

But the phone does look rather plasticky.

Would rather have a plastic look that can take a hit than a solid/sturdy look that breaks easily. I dropped my GNEX from 3ft on concrete. Back cover came off but no scratches and the thing works perfectly. I dropped my nieces last gen iPod touch from the same distance (accident) and the glass shattered. Going to cost me $100 to get it fixed.

4.8 in screen? Tone it down Samsung. This alone would make me not get the phone. Pretty soon we will need bags to carry around our phones...sound familiar?? I thought my GNEX 4.65 in screen was big and it took a little to get used to over my 4in Vibrant. Main reason I got the GNEX is because of pure Google OS and I never really cared for TW.

My Galaxy S contract runs out in a few weeks so the timing is pretty much spot on for this. I've been waiting for this phone for so long, but damn... the screen is a hefty size. I did hope that it wouldn't be bigger than the One X.

Would rather have a plastic look that can take a hit than a solid/sturdy look that breaks easily. I dropped my GNEX from 3ft on concrete. Back cover came off but no scratches and the thing works perfectly. I dropped my nieces last gen iPod touch from the same distance (accident) and the glass shattered. Going to cost me $100 to get it fixed.

It's technology. Don't drop it.

Plus, if you can afford a ?400+ phone, you should be able to afford insurance.

I expected a lot more from the physical design. Looks kinda cheap in my opinion. Considering how much they hyped it I really did think it would look special this just looks like any other Android phone. What's with all the plastic too? (N)

I don't see why people whine about PenTile. 99% of people will NOT notice anyway.

It looks physically very cheap compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

I agree. IMO the only other phone that can be compared to the iPhone in terms of design, is the Lumia 800/900. No other phone comes close to matching the iPhone's design and build quality.

Stainless steel and glass or plastic? Hmmmmm.

It looks physically very cheap compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

I'd say slightly, not very. As mentioned earlier, it might feel cheaper, but at the same time it also feels safer due to 50% less chance of breaking it. That, and Gorilla Glass, of course.

I agree. IMO the only other phone that I think looks better than the iPhone is the Nokia Lumia 800. No other phones comes close. Stainless steel and glass or cheap looking plastic? Hmmmmm.

I agree. I think the Lumia 800 looks a lot better than the iPhone 4/4S too. I even own an iPhone 4S and I'm saying that.

I'd say slightly, not very. As mentioned earlier, it might feel cheaper, but at the same time it also feels safer due to 50% less chance of breaking it. That, and Gorilla Glass, of course.

iPhone uses Gorilla Glass too. And I don't really think either device is designed for drops and falls. If you drop that Samsung it may still work but it will look beat up just like an iPhone would. You have the same chance of breaking the screen on them both in my opinion.

i like the specs but design is such a turn-off. what i do now? get the htc one x (where i love the design but miss the sd-card slot) or will i save money and grab me the galaxy nexus? hmmmmm

I agree with all those above. HTC One X just appears better in most ways. Better design, better UI, similar specs.

i like the specs but design is such a turn-off. what i do now? get the htc one x (where i love the design but miss the sd-card slot) or will i save money and grab me the galaxy nexus? hmmmmm

If I was you I'd wait for the next Google phone because if rumours pan out it will use the Galaxy III as a base and if Google alters the physical design at all it may end up more attractive.

I think you've just answered your questions. If you're judging technology by the looks, just buy the prettiest and that's it.

I think you've just answered your questions. If you're judging technology by the looks, just buy the prettiest and that's it.

I think what people are saying is that the design looks very weak and cheap for a so-called 'flagship' phone. I will admit that the way a phone looks and the build quality are two important factors for me when choosing a new mobile device. The Galaxy SIII does not stand out for me. I feel the same as I did when they announced the Galaxy Nexus, very underwhelmed.

Phone is a MASSIVE upgrade imo, with some revolutionary features and industry firsts.

S-Beam can be used to transfer data at 300mbps.. you can send an entire photo gallery in the blink of an eye.

Wireless charging is an industry first.

With 64GB internal, up to 64GB microSDXC card (yes they do work) and 50GB Dropbox storage, it has by far the most storage available on any smartphone.

Not sure why people think this is a small upgrade!

I expected a lot more from the physical design. Looks kinda cheap in my opinion. Considering how much they hyped it I really did think it would look special this just looks like any other Android phone. What's with all the plastic too? (N)

Same here.. wtf happened with this

samsung-galaxy-s3-may-22.jpg

I expected S3 to be super slick like this phone shown in the photo.

If I was you I'd wait for the next Google phone because if rumours pan out it will use the Galaxy III as a base and if Google alters the physical design at all it may end up more attractive.

problem is my htc desire is getting very old and slow - despite all the custom roms. first i wanted the galaxy nexus but thought ok lets ditch than one and wait for the new htcs. did the same and said, well lets just wait for the sIII. sIII was my biggest hope. but i dont like the looks, that small home button makes no sense and i cant see myself using this with one hand ...

still undecided, but i think either the galaxy nexus (should have gr8 support community) and saving lots of money or going for the htc one x.

Now that thing looks amazing. What the hell happened ?!

I prefer the announced Galaxy.

Phone is a MASSIVE upgrade imo, with some revolutionary features and industry firsts.

S-Beam can be used to transfer data at 300mbps.. you can send an entire photo gallery in the blink of an eye.

Wireless charging is an industry first.

With 64GB internal, up to 64GB microSDXC card (yes they do work) and 50GB Dropbox storage, it has by far the most storage available on any smartphone.

Not sure why people think this is a small upgrade!

No one is saying it's a small upgrade. The technology inside the phone is impressive, but they've packed it into a dated and cheap looking design.

HTC One X vs Galaxy Nexus vs S3? Which one should I buy?

Definitely not the One X, way too many problems with that handset from what I've read. Besides I'm tired of HTC Sense. Not the Galaxy Nexus either as it's now out of date. Personally I'm going to wait for the next Google phone, should be out soon. This quarter I think?

For me personally it's definitely between the S3 and the next Google phone.

I'm hoping that Google will take the S3 and update the hardware a little bit (from a looks POV).

It's technology. Don't drop it.

Plus, if you can afford a ?400+ phone, you should be able to afford insurance.

we're only human, accidents happen, a phone should be able to take a hit or two especially if it costs more than $100

anyway, back on topic, any word on this being available on Verizon when it comes to the US?

Definitely not the One X, way too many problems with that handset from what I've read. Besides I'm tired of HTC Sense. Not the Galaxy Nexus either as it's now out of date. Personally I'm going to wait for the next Google phone, should be out soon. This quarter I think?

For me personally it's definitely between the S3 and the next Google phone.

I'm hoping that Google will take the S3 and update the hardware a little bit (from a looks POV).

I really hope the next Google phone is this quarter :/

amazing looking phone... Liked the design,Only problem is the touch wiz...

To people who say its looks plasticy its made of poly-carbonate material so its sturdy