Photo

I use Windows 8 like a power user! Do you?

win8

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#241 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:29

That's its Calum, where do you want to get sliced? I like how you conveniently just throw out the 'mouse' part when referring to mouse and keyboard users.

#242 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:34

Actually I was wrong. I was looking at the Task Manager app, as opposed to the normal taskmgr "Windows Task Manager" app, which is still there. What was missing from the Task Manager app are the column view details and other options you get in the taskmgr app, but as long as their both there, I'm fine with that.

The old task manager is already fully removed from Server 2012. If it was still in Windows 8 RP, I doubt that will be the case come RTM.

Outside of the fact that the elevation and hide processes functions no longer exist, what exactly is missing from the new task manager that was in the old one?

Attached Images

• Processes.png
  • Details.png

#243 Kenny Kanashimi Chu

Kenny Kanashimi Chu

Neowinian

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:36

Nope!
A: I don't feel powerful when using a Metro styled app.
B: Sucks in gaming.
C: Slow as sheet and freezes as hell.

#244 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:51

actually, if ou have other programs installed that can open the file, whatever it is, the firs time,
(or next time after you install an app) you wil get a toast in the upper righ, saying ou have new programs that can open this file, and asking if you want to change.

so you're talking bs.

Actually i'm not talking BS, i'm talking about the Out of the Box . This does not count OEM's PC's that may have already bundled different media players. I'm talking about a clean install. On Windows 7 it would open up by default Windows Media play (as it should be).

#245 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:38

What different UIs?

Metro screen and the classic desktop... Metro has its own control panel and settings, as does the classic desktop. Metro and classic interface have totally different ui paradigms, and I the easily confused computer illiterate types I often talk to will certainly be confused (even moreso than they already are :p ) with the "invisible" start button, gestures, hot corners and keyboard shortcuts.

#246 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:53

Metro screen and the classic desktop... Metro has its own control panel and settings, as does the classic desktop. Metro and classic interface have totally different ui paradigms, and I the easily confused computer illiterate types I often talk to will certainly be confused (even moreso than they already are :p ) with the "invisible" start button, gestures, hot corners and keyboard shortcuts.

People don't seem to be having trouble with gestures on competing tablets. Why would they be a problem on Windows?

Keyboard shortcuts exist today, and will continue to serve the same segment of the population.

Clicking in the corner is the easiest thing you can possibly do with a mouse. Don't you think there have been endless usability studies (both short and long-term) of these changes with users of all different backgrounds and comfort levels?

And do you really think the learning curve here is more of a problem than it is on any given cell phone purchase the same person would make this year?

#247 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:55

That's its Calum, where do you want to get sliced? I like how you conveniently just throw out the 'mouse' part when referring to mouse and keyboard users.

I didn't "throw out" the mouse part. A "mouse and keyboard" user has a keyboard. If they don't wish to use their keyboard, they can't reasonably blame Microsoft. That was my point.

#248 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:57

Clicking in the corner is the easiest thing you can possibly do with a mouse. Don't you think there have been endless usability studies (both short and long-term) of these changes with users of all different backgrounds and comfort levels?

you have no idea how computer illiterate the people I talk to every day are. They have trouble with everything and anything, including apple devices. Having two separate interfaces to switch between will make some of their heads implode :D many users can barely find the (currently visible) start button in windows 7.

And gestures on tablets are significantly more intuitive than MS's implementation of gestures with the mouse. I found metro gestures with the mouse were a pain in the ass and keyboard shortcuts were the only usable method. (many users I deal with can barely even comprehend the concept of a keyboard shortcut.)

#249 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:02

The old task manager is already fully removed from Server 2012. If it was still in Windows 8 RP, I doubt that will be the case come RTM.

Outside of the fact that the elevation and hide processes functions no longer exist, what exactly is missing from the new task manager that was in the old one?

Additional column views & other right click options, along with the items you mentioned.

#250 Guest_nicconics_*

Guest_nicconics_*

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:10

you have no idea how computer illiterate the people I talk to every day are. They have trouble with everything and anything, including apple devices. Having two separate interfaces to switch between will make some of their heads implode :D many users can barely find the (currently visible) start button in windows 7.

And gestures on tablets are significantly more intuitive than MS's implementation of gestures with the mouse. I found metro gestures with the mouse were a pain in the ass and keyboard shortcuts were the only usable method. (many users I deal with can barely even comprehend the concept of a keyboard shortcut.)

<smartass>
Well, IF their heads DO implode, there are going to be some pretty happy funeral directors, and the gene poll will end up becoming clearer since stupid people that cant figure out a simple key stroke will not be there to propagate. Hell, IF this happens, maybe the national deficit will be reduced to zero since the funeral directors will be able to prop up the economy with all the money they are going to make
</smartass>

#251 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:12

I didn't "throw out" the mouse part. A "mouse and keyboard" user has a keyboard. If they don't wish to use their keyboard, they can't reasonably blame Microsoft. That was my point.

You most certainly did. I can do many things easier with the mouse (reasons we developed a GUI to begin with). Telling me sorry, you just can't do that efficiently with the mouse anymore so learn these new keyboard shortcuts is again, some very Mac loving ****.

Here's a video I linked in the other thread, but I think is relevant here too:

#252 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:56

Additional column views & other right click options, along with the items you mentioned.

That’s what I'm pointing out. All the column view options are still there. Right click on a column name and select "select columns".

Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 Taskmgr have 30 column options.

Windows Server 2012 / Windows 8 Taskmgr have 37 column options. No column views were removed, only new ones became available. The only thing removed was the old method of adding columns.

The same thing goes for right-click options on processes. There are more options, not fewer, and nothing that was there before is missing that I can see.

#253 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 July 2012 - 18:11

People don't seem to be having trouble with gestures on competing tablets. Why would they be a problem on Windows?

Keyboard shortcuts exist today, and will continue to serve the same segment of the population.

And do you really think the learning curve here is more of a problem than it is on any given cell phone purchase the same person would make this year?

Actually, Brandon. Clicking in the corners is a royal pain in the ass when you have multiple screens. VERY easy to just miss and end up in the next screen, thus achieving nothing.

Also, tablets and desktops are totally different paradigms, and mouse gestures are nothing like as natural as those on a touch screen.

#254 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 July 2012 - 18:15

Actually, Brandon. Clicking in the corners is a royal pain in the ass when you have multiple screens. VERY easy to just miss and end up in the next screen, thus achieving nothing.

Than just use the keyboard shortcuts. :D They also have catchers in the corners now that are designed to catch the mouse and prevent it from going off onto the other screen. They work reasonably well.

#255 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 12 July 2012 - 18:43

Needless to say, the Music app is an "App Preview" which has pretty much stolen the interface from Videos App Preview for the makeshift preview purposes. It is most certainly going to be change come RTM time. Same goes for pretty much all WinRT apps, some to more dramatic extents than others. All the way back at Build 2011, the focus and goal was clearly on getting solid apps out by RTM time, just before GA.

The whole philosophy with Metro UI is that it is something that works with mouse, keyboard, touch as well as touchless gestures. Use only mouse/kb and resist change? hate Metro? Don't use it! Stay on Desktop, use Windows Media Player or foobar or whatever, as always. It is really not a big deal.

Yeah, they will end up looking like their Xbox counterparts.