Get together on a dedicated server?

Question

I've thought out this just a bit lately, but would anyone be interested in getting together on a dedicated server from somewhere? Here's what we could get with about 30 people on this:

Amd Athlon 2000+

1GB Ram

CPanel

3.75GB Space :blink:

65.625GB of Bandwidth (Multi-honed)

Unlimited MySQL DBs/FTP accounts/domains/subdomains

$5/month each

If you're interested, please fill out the form here: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

It'd just be us on our own, so it'd be up to me and/or someone else to manage the thing. The advantage is lots of cheap space, the disadvantage is not having the complete managed support you may be used to. However, you have neowin for that ;)

Edit: Updated the specs to the latest quote.

I'm interested... :yes:

Moving domains would be a pain the butt, but at my host I'm regularly going over my 6Gb allowance so I have to pay per Gb. :crazy:

By the way, would the Server be running Linux or Windows?
Probably RH9.0
unless i missed it what kinda connection are we talking here

100Mbit with 10MBit burstable. I believe 2.1 TB is the gauranteed transfer per month.

ok if we only need say 15GB month and 1GB space can we pay $72 for a 24 month pariod or can't we get smaller space limits and btw wot currency is this is cause i am in australia and depending on where this is it may be a highly priced plan for me

Well, 5 USD works out to 7.10 AUD right now. You can base your calculations off of that.

And I kind of frown on a jabberd, as this is mainly for webhosting. We're sharing it and asking for stuff like HLDS and jabberd is more for your own dedicated server.

Yearly is oretty unsecure, I would never do so... exception ot a crazy deal I couldn't resist but this means, if there is something wrong you lost some money ;)

Cheers.

Yearly is oretty unsecure, I would never do so... exception ot a crazy deal I couldn't resist but this means, if there is something wrong you lost some money ;)

Cheers.

True. Maybe I would pay monthy for the first few months, and if the service kicks ass, then I would just pay for the whole year.

I'm completely stupid when it comes to anything with linux. What if we wanted to set permissions on a folder in our space or create other accounts that could be used to access our space? Is this something we could do personally or would we need to contact whoever was managing the server? Also just double checking, how much bandwidth/space would we get monthly??

I'm completely stupid when it comes to anything with linux. What if we wanted to set permissions on a folder in our space or create other accounts that could be used to access our space? Is this something we could do personally or would we need to contact whoever was managing the server? Also just double checking, how much bandwidth/space would we get monthly??

You could do these things yourself via CPanel, I assume.

Anyway to pay using credit card direct to you? I'm not pretty sure if its possible, just would like to find out...

Otherwise I'll have to get myself a Paypal account :(

But count in me as being interested :)

Anyway to pay using credit card direct to you? I'm not pretty sure if its possible, just would like to find out...

Otherwise I'll have to get myself a Paypal account :(

But count in me as being interested :)

I believe you can pay over paypal via CC without actually having a PP account.

not as godlike as I am I can do more with an ftp and phpMyadmin that I can with a cpanel

CPanel provides those two things and a LOT more though....