Get together on a dedicated server?

Question

I've thought out this just a bit lately, but would anyone be interested in getting together on a dedicated server from somewhere? Here's what we could get with about 30 people on this:

Amd Athlon 2000+

1GB Ram

CPanel

3.75GB Space :blink:

65.625GB of Bandwidth (Multi-honed)

Unlimited MySQL DBs/FTP accounts/domains/subdomains

$5/month each

If you're interested, please fill out the form here: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

It'd just be us on our own, so it'd be up to me and/or someone else to manage the thing. The advantage is lots of cheap space, the disadvantage is not having the complete managed support you may be used to. However, you have neowin for that ;)

Edit: Updated the specs to the latest quote.

BGP is just a protocol to bring multiple providers of bandwidth together on one network (I think it stands for bandwidth grouping protocol). In this case, there are 4 providers available on the network and BGP ensures they are equally used and the best connection is always available to us.

DJ Prem: No, I'm purchasing a server from FDCServers.net. Normal hosts cram a lot of people on a server and overcharge to make a profit. I'm just interested in sharing a server with other people :)

Quick question, although this won't effect my decsion. We'll also have email running on the server also correct?

Of course we will :)

ok quick question about this before i make a descision .. could i host say an eggdrop bot on this server ??

Check the TOS and AUP. They're linked fromthis page.

Edited by snippet1

I've submitted the form, and got your email Tim, when can I get in ?

I'm also interested to ssh access as my main way of site maintenance.

(install, backup, etc).

thanks.

Lukas

Well, Eggdrops are IRC related, so I'd tend to say no. Plus, what sort of resources to they demand?

It's a Linux server running RedHat

yes, space and bandwidth can be easily controlled thru cpanel, but it's not straightforward to monitor progs/scripts consuming cpu time, such as bots, chat, etc. (even some cgi scripts).

cpanel requires RH ? hope they are preparing the move to other platform as well as RH will go only for enterprise edition.

No, Cpanel doesn't require RedHat. Check cpanel.net. They do or plan to support many other platforms :)

I am still waiting back on word about CPanel pricing. I haven't actually been able to order the server yet, but it better damn well happen tomorrow...

I thought about doing this a while ago, but then I realised that i'd end up having to do support for everyone i host, which I wouldn't normally mind, but if i'm making no profit it can become tiresome

It means FDC won't handle software updates, just hard reboots and things I can't do remotely.

BTW, just got this in:

Posted by FDCServers Support (Staff)

I'll see what's going on and setup your server asap.

regards

:D