win8

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#61 NoPanShabuShabu

NoPanShabuShabu

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:30

So, the only part of the main article that said that MS might bring back the start menu was this:

"Steven Sinofsky is no longer head of the Windows division and more and more voices familiar with matter are hinting that a Start Menu option could, after all, land on Windows 8 platforms."

So, "more and more voices familiar with the matter" are a better indication of what MS might do than Steve Ballmer pretty much saying "Nope."?

#62 OP Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:35

my wife has pretty much only used windows 7 and my machine runs windows 8, and she navigates around my machine just fine and she reconds the start screen is more productive as she also doesnt use the start menu at all, its not much to learn, she figured out how to print and do all kinds of things and she is an absolute n00b, i also have used windows since win 3.1 all the way thru to now, cant say i miss the start menu much, used to be a pain in windows 95

Yea I agree the start menu only became productive with XP, before that with the Classic Classic start menu it made life pretty difficult, especially if you needed something in the 5th sub-menu of the 3rd menu and you missed your target and closed the entire thing :angry:

The start screen is designed to be easy, simple, clear, which it is, and for some it will be an enjoyable transition, but I think for most who come from using XP>7 it will not go down well

that's nothing either, had a group of girls look at the start screen then rip their clothes off

That's nothing, My girl took one look at the start-screen and said "You're not putting that disk anywhere near my port" :p

#63 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:35

hmm I guesing you've never seen as much as a screenshot of the start screen if you think it looks like fisher price. oh well.

A screenshot I could live with, but this thing is 'actually' real!

#64 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,345 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:40

hmm I guesing you've never seen as much as a screenshot of the start screen if you think it looks like fisher price. oh well.

scnr:

Attached Images

• fp.png
  • inspiration.png

#65 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

• 755 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:41

I am all for the new start screen but there are some problems.

For example, when you install some applications you will get several shortcuts placed on the start screen. I don't want a cluttered start screen with all of those shortcuts specially if I do not use some of them all of the time. I can remove the ones that I do not want but then later I might forget what it was called or that it even existed. How am I suppose to get to the shortcut or remember it? In the start menu I always organized with folders. Those shortcuts that I rarely used went into an "Other" folder in the main folder like "Development". I can't do this anymore.

It also would be nice to have the choice to log right into the desktop. Why can't I have this choice if that is what I want.

#66 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• 2,731 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:42

Jesus, my point was simple. Many none techy people are switching from laptop/desktop to iPad. They 'get it' in no time. Even people who have never used an iOS device.

The modern UI is simple to use, I've installed on my sons and my partners 2 girls pcs and they love it and can use it in minutes. There's a lot of overthinking going on here.

#67 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

• 2,202 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:45

I am all for the new start screen but there are some problems.

For example, when you install some applications you will get several shortcuts placed on the start screen. I don't want a cluttered start screen with all of those shortcuts specially if I do not use some of them all of the time. I can remove the ones that I do not want but then later I might forget what it was called or that it even existed. How am I suppose to get to the shortcut or remember it? In the start menu I always organized with folders. Those shortcuts that I rarely used went into an "Other" folder in the main folder like "Development". I can't do this anymore.

It also would be nice to have the choice to log right into the desktop. Why can't I have this choice if that is what I want.

thats the applications fault not windows, newwer apps dont do this u could allways go back to where the program folder was installed to and right click and pin to start u could possible just pin them to the superbar? :p

i also want windows to make me toast in the monrning because thats the choice i want but i cant have it, also previous versions of windows people wanted choice, its not your os its microsofts YOu dont have a choice
maybe i wanted a start menu for windows 3.1 but hey i wanted that choice and it wasnt put there back then :p kinda see where im going?

#68 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:45

lol@ the people still crying over the startbutton ...

Who's crying?

#69 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,799 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:58

Jesus, my point was simple. Many none techy people are switching from laptop/desktop to iPad. They 'get it' in no time. Even people who have never used an iOS device.

The modern UI is simple to use, I've installed on my sons and my partners 2 girls pcs and they love it and can use it in minutes. There's a lot of overthinking going on here.

the problem isn't "getting it" the problem is how its done... its a full screen app.. works fine on tablets, but on a desktop can get annoying if you work 99% of your day in non-full screen apps on a well desktop mode desktop... you need a smaller version of the start screen in the desktop mode that can be taken full screen if you want it

#70 S7un7

S7un7

Neowinian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:14

Removing the Start button completely was a dumb idea. MS lost sales because of that move. Some "average Joe" sees Windows 8 with no Start button and won't upgrade. On the other end of the spectrum, some computer geeks will not upgrade because to get it back requires a 3rd party application. Notice I said SOME.. MS should have given users the option to put back. This is very apparent by the number of downloads of Start8, Classic Shell, etc... And all the people saying 'you get used to it' or ‘it’s easier', that is all opinion. I picked up Win 8 pretty quickly, but still hate it unless I'm using Classic Shell. As a Java and .NET developer it hinders my workflow.

#71 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:19

This is very apparent by the number of downloads of Start8, Classic Shell, etc... And all the people saying 'you get used to it' or ‘it’s easier', that is all opinion.

This ^^^^

My new slogan for Windows 8 is:

'Windows 8, there's a third party app for that'

#72 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,497 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:27

Cringe alert, do you even sit back and read what comes out of your mind?

You are like a walking advert for Microsoft.

Well, nothing of what he says is untrue, so what are you complaining about ?

scnr:

Do you think the start screen resembles those fisher price toys ?

if the answer is yes, you need to call your optometrist.

Stardock said they sold tens of thousands of Start8, sorry windows 8 has sold millions. I think the people who can't adapt to the faster and more efficient start screen is an EXTREMELY small minority of the Win8 user base.

#73 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,311 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:28

There is already a start menu in Windows 8, you move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen and left click. Just like every other version of windows in the modern age.

#74 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,345 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:39

Do you think the start screen resembles those fisher price toys ?

Do they have "qualities or features, especially those of appearance, in common with" each other? Yes.

Attached Images

• comp.png

#75 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,412 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:44

Believe me, when the corporates start kicking up a stink I can assure you that Microsoft will turn on a dime and say, "oh, we were always going to do it, the start page was only a place holder till we finished working on the new and improved start menu". For me I'm not fussed either way but it appears that for some out there especially in the corporate world the so-called benefits of the start page certainly don't pay off via improved productivity vs. the retraining costs.