Microsoft Could Launch a Start Menu Option in Windows 8

Its gone, bringing back might please some techy people now but will hurt the long term vision and the new ecosystem overall. Its not happening and this is not fan boyism, its hard reality folks.

Its a little different in functionality, looks a lot different and you will get used to it - history is with me on this.

You greatly underestimate the number of desktop PC in the corporate world running WIndows XP but having a Windows Vista license sticker on the top or side of the case.

Sadly I'm using one of those right now. I'd much rather have Vista at least.

Code bloat is having undesired features that people are not responding well on a DESKTOP.

Code Bloat is excessive code piling up. With the Start Screen taking over for the Start Menu, and Microsoft wanting to move Windows in a new direction, well, there you go.

There are no technical issues to implement this, don't be such a fanboy...

O rly...

Microsoft should give what users want and shut up.

Spoken like a true pundit. They have no liability to do so. It's their OS, not yours. You are not the designer, you are not the developer, you are not the CEO. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Code bloat? Also, Windows 8 is a special case, it's a clean break from the days of old. Microsoft has spent the past few years, reinventing itself, and as per Sinofsky's leave, is still continuing.

Yeah, I'm so happy that they gave me that extra meg of disk space back. It makes the crappy design of the start screen so worth it!

Spoken like a true pundit. They have no liability to do so. It's their OS, not yours. You are not the designer, you are not the developer, you are not the CEO. Don't like it? Don't use it.

If as a developer you took that attitude and a large number of people stopped using the product you'd have egg on your place pretty quickly ;) Apple may be able to pull smug arrogance off, Microsoft cannot.

Yeah, I'm so happy that they gave me that extra meg of disk space back. It makes the crappy design of the start screen so worth it!

If as a developer you took that attitude and a large number of people stopped using the product you'd have egg on your place pretty quickly ;) Apple may be able to pull smug arrogance off, Microsoft cannot.

Indeed. They only hold a VAST majority share of the PC market...nope they can't afford to pull off doing their own thing at all.

They are such a fail company...

/VivaLaBittenFruitLogo

I'm starting to warm up to the start screen, but it still feels off, having my entire screen cover up what I was doing when I hit the windows key.

Doesn't matter how much of the market they hold. Customers punished them for Vista, they can do it again. I don't actually like Apple products.

I fail too see what you saying here, if your saying that them sales figures are 100% accurate them im affraid your wrong, also didnt vista sell millions yet most people went back to XP? See, you proved nothing also you have not taken into account the multiple copies of Start8 used, if a person has one code they will use it on multiple machines, also there are alternatives to Start8 which are free and its not hard to get a crack.

As for the comment about can not adapt to a more efficient start screen thats not true either. I find the new screen mostly ugly, plus with the amount of apps i run at one time its easier to have a start menu/taskbar layout plus the time is at the bottom of the screen if you dont move the taskbar, ontop of of being able to see the time without moving the mouse i see what apps are open and if i choose can spread the tabs along the taskbar ungrouped making for easier app changing. Yes i could use alt and tab but i choose not too, plus i feel i can organised my desktop better than the start screen and it saves jumping from a start screen to a desktop which is not efficient imo.

Yes it can be great if you have a low app base, and not use multiple programs at once but some of us do.

Back on topic, i doubt window will add it with the multiple 3rd applications out there that are already doing a good enough job, and if they did would it be better or worse than 3rd party ones?

most people didn't go back to XP. Vista still to this day has more users then Mac OS and Linux combined

Code Bloat is excessive code piling up. With the Start Screen taking over for the Start Menu, and Microsoft wanting to move Windows in a new direction, well, there you go.

O rly...

:x

The icons for legacy apps aren't really that much larger (if indeed larger at all) on the Start Screen than they were in the Start menu?!

eh, no not really, You have never actually seen a windows computer have you ?

post-69433-0-75336300-1353104144.jpg

http://www.netmarket...e.aspx?qprid=10

Actually according to this it's about half

Actually according to that it's not...read the data next time...don't just stare at the pretty colors:

OS X 10.6.....1.95%

OS X 10.7.....1.94%

OS X 10.8.....1.60%

Linux..............1.24%

That totals: 6.73%

If I toss in OS X 10.5 & 10.4 that brings it up to 7.42%

Vista has 5.03% of the market.

Last I checked 5.03 was not 'about half' of 7.42...unless you want to explain this math to me. :)

Actually according to that it's not...read the data next time...don't just stare at the pretty colors:

OS X 10.6.....1.95%

OS X 10.7.....1.94%

OS X 10.8.....1.60%

Linux..............1.24%

That totals: 6.73%

If I toss in OS X 10.5 & 10.4 that brings it up to 7.42%

Vista has 5.03% of the market.

Last I checked 5.03 was not 'about half' of 7.42...unless you want to explain this math to me. :)

Again with the condescension, can't help it can you? I was reading the wrong part of the chart, easy enough to do. Don't recall you talking down to the other guy about his math though, curious how these things work out isn't it :laugh: apologists of a feather cluck together?

Again with the condescension, can't help it can you? I was reading the wrong part of the chart, easy enough to do. Don't recall you talking down to the other guy about his math though, curious how these things work out isn't it :laugh: apologists of a feather cluck together?

As far as I can see, Linux+Mac marketshare is at 8.33% going by NetMarketShare's numbers.

You're right. The icons are slightly larger. My apologies.

Slightly ? are you high ?

on top of hat they are also organized according to my wishes, and grouped as I want. and there's far more of them directly accessible than I could have on my old start menu.

I reply to the posts that I happen to spot. I'm not on all day, and don't read every single post. I spot something and regardless of what side it's on I will call it out.

Point me to the specific post and I'll see if what they say matches up.

That said don't try to blame me for the fact that you failed to read.

As far as I can see, Linux+Mac marketshare is at 8.33% going by NetMarketShare's numbers.

That is a 10% graph based on just those 3 operating systems being scored.

The other graph listed earlier includes iOS based share, JAVA ME based share and various other OS's.

So the true accounting is as I stated above. As I pointed out to Javik...read things more closely. :p

most people didn't go back to XP. Vista still to this day has more users then Mac OS and Linux combined

I reply to the posts that I happen to spot. I'm not on all day, and don't read every single post. I spot something and regardless of what side it's on I will call it out.

Directly above mine :laugh:

That is a 10% graph based on just those 3 operating systems being scored.

Well, it's looking purely at Desktop operating systems.

Slightly ? are you high ?

Seems to be 48x48 vs. 32x32. I'll leave it up to you whether that makes a huge difference.

post-5569-0-88212500-1353105413.png

http://www.netmarket...=10&qpcustomd=0

it also says that vista has 6%

That's because that one also has a smaller number of OS's listed. By removing the number of Operating Systems counted, but still retaining a percentage that must hit 100 you adjust the numbers.

That's why the earlier posting someone made is more accurate. The more operating systems you count, the more accurate the final scoring.

Seems to be 48x48 vs. 32x32. I'll leave it up to you whether that makes a huge difference.

32x32 is a better fit for the start menu, 48x48 is a better fit for the start screen IMO. The icons for legacy applications in the start screen look fine to me anyway.

Directly above mine :laugh:

Yes Colin was wrong.

5.03% is not more than 7.42%

It's a difference of 2.39% in favor of the last 5 releases of OS X & every variant of Linux combined.

That still puts him closer to being correct by the numbers...but still wrong...so both of you lose on that one.