Photo

Apple WWDC 2013 Discussion Thread

official wwdc discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you expect to see during the WWDC 2013 keynote?

What do you expect to see during the WWDC 2013 keynote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#196 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:18

How do I change Siri's voice to male, any clues?

According to the release notes...it is not included in the beta 1 build. You might want to read through the release notes before asking.

#197 Matrix XII

Matrix XII

System F

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 13 June 2013 - 22:36

It's a good reason and i believe it's part of Apple's strategy to keep you from leaving Apple :)

That's definitely part of their strategy! I know many people like this. I have a PC, Macbook Pro, and Galaxy S3 so I'm kind of all over the place lol

I had an iPhone 3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4 and it was hard to leave their ecosystem for an android but I did want a more innovative and less "locked down" phone and I'm happy I did.

#198 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:22

That and the battery life seems a lot worse! I mean I expected a drop, since it is a beta. I roughly made the day at work with my iPhone, just playing around with the software.

Same. It was 80% at 5 in the morning and at 3 in the afternoon, completely dead. Worst is, I can't say I've played a lot with it.

Plus, the new design really doesn't grow on me. There's a lot of inconsistencies and a lot of things that are impossible to understand unless you have a good history of using iOS.

I've been telling people since 2 years ago that I wanted the fifth iteration of the iPad and since iOS7 beta 1, I'm currently reconsidering my decision, and already regret the purchase of my iPhone 5. Apple fanboy speaking. And yes, when I buy an iPhone, I take in consideration that updates bring a lot of value to it to all the iPhones in the world at the same moment. So the "you're not forced to upgrade" argument doesn't cut it, especially because I've just paid for my product.

My verdict is...

With iOS7, Apple has killed the flavor and appeal of iOS.

#199 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:24

Did apple open up AppleTV to third party apps?

Same. It was 80% at 5 in the morning and at 3 in the afternoon, completely dead. Worst is, I can't say I've played a lot with it.

Plus, the new design really doesn't grow on me. There's a lot of inconsistencies and a lot of things that are impossible to understand unless you have a good history of using iOS.

I've been telling people since 2 years ago that I wanted the fifth iteration of the iPad and since iOS7 beta 1, I'm currently reconsidering my decision, and already regret the purchase of my iPhone 5. Apple fanboy speaking. And yes, when I buy an iPhone, I take in consideration that updates bring a lot of value to it to all the iPhones in the world at the same moment. So the "you're not forced to upgrade" argument doesn't cut it, especially because I've just paid for my product.

My verdict is...

With iOS7, Apple has killed the flavor and appeal of iOS.

Interesting, i enjoy the new updates, for me there are something i would like to see happen, but over im happy with it. But i have to say im not very happy with the new icons.

#200 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:39

Oh there's a bunch of interesting new features in iOS 7 : Built-in Flashlight access, Control Center, Moments, FaceTime Audio, iTunes Radio, AirDrop, higher capacity Folders, Panning Wallpaper, the new Leveling tool provided in the Compass App, the new Multi-Tabbing UI, the possibility that they'll do a landscape mode with the Home Page, etc.

Too bad the poor design nulls its value.

#201 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:07

How do I change Siri's voice to male, any clues?

I'd like to know this, too. May not be possible in the beta.

#202 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:17

Right, Mavericks is a stupid name (But I like the OS improvements, coalescing kernel timers is awesome), iOS 7 is let down by the horrible interface, and it's a shame there was no MBP refresh.

That's my view of it anyway.

#203 neeldenn

neeldenn

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6 Spacegray 64GB

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:43

But since its a beta, the design is a work in progress. I think the UI is still facing some changes in the upcoming beta's

#204 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:23

You might want to read through the release notes before asking.

Haven't had the time for that. I do hope you can forgive me.

#205 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:44

But since its a beta, the design is a work in progress. I think the UI is still facing some changes in the upcoming beta's

According to TNW's sources, the UI is very much in flux: "Panzarino alleges that iOS 7 is still apparently very much a work in progress, and the version we saw this week at WWDC was nothing more than a "mid-stride" look at where Ive and his team are going. According to The Next Web, everything from the up arrow on the lock screen to various app icons is still open to adjustment before the OS comes out this fall."

More: http://www.theverge....ork-in-progress

#206 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 June 2013 - 23:03

Like I said earlier, I'd be very surprised if the "signal strength dots" make it into even the next beta. That's probably the poorest UI change I can see right now. I also think they might bring back some kind of visual cue about which way to slide when it comes to unlocking the phone. It makes sense if you've used an iPhone before, but if you're new to the platform, you might swipe another direction and either get no response or bring up one of the popover panels.

#207 Florals

Florals

Some chick doing a PhD

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:34

I (quite controversially, apparently) like iOS7. It's obviously still a beta so it's not perfect, and in every iOS so far there have been aesthetic issues that I didn't like, but for me I think the improvements counteract anything I'm displeased by. I think the control centre will make life a lot easier, as I seem to spend about 60% of my time on my iPhone changing things in settings. I'd like to see how it is in the iPad, because I'm not sure how those flat icons would scale up onto a bigger screen.

I really like the look of Mavericks (wish it had been called Sea Lion, though). Tabbed finder is probably the one feature that will increase my quality of life, because I do seem to find myself getting quite frustrated with the fifteen thousand finder windows that always seem to be cluttering my screen. The new calendar looks good too - glad they've banished that horrible leather, it gave me the creeps. Really looking forward to this update; I'm still running Snow Leopard, and it's the only OS X update so far that has prompted me to consider getting a new Mac.

Slightly disappointed by the hardware reveals; at the time I was hoping for a retina MacBook Air, but since then I've come to the realisation that one wouldn't currently be feasible. The MBA is more of an entry machine than the rMBP - putting a retina display in the MBA would drastically increase the price, and you'd end up with two different models that had very little to differentiate between the two. The battery life on the MBA is really impressive, and it's nice to see that they haven't been exaggerating those claims - it really does last that long! I'm currently still running an early 2006 Core Duo Mac Mini (yes, lets all laugh at the poor person) and I think I'm probably going to finally retire it and buy a MBA. Worryingly, I've heard some people saying that their 2012 MBAs are actually faster than the new 2013, which is making me consider the (somewhat overpriced) i7 upgrade. Does anyone on here have any experience of these machines? I've seen the benchmarks, but they don't always translate into distinct differences when using the machine. The new Mac Pro is a thing of beauty, but it's quite a niche product so I don't think it really got the general public that excited.

Aaaaaaand congratulations if you made it through that 'cool story bro' of a post.

#208 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6 128GB

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:16

According to TNW's sources, the UI is very much in flux: "Panzarino alleges that iOS 7 is still apparently very much a work in progress, and the version we saw this week at WWDC was nothing more than a "mid-stride" look at where Ive and his team are going. According to The Next Web, everything from the up arrow on the lock screen to various app icons is still open to adjustment before the OS comes out this fall."

More: http://www.theverge....ork-in-progress

That really isn't surprising given that they have a lot of time up their sleeve to make changes where as the only thing missing in OS X at this moment are some bug fixes and removing the skeumorphism from Photo Booth before it ships. By the time iOS 7 comes out I wouldn't be surprised if they have a 10.9.1 update by that time along with an updated iTunes.

#209 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:08

I'm so comforted by this article, it seems like a lot of teams will get shaken in the coming weeks. From what I read on the articles, this is not good looking for iOS 7 so far.

#210 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:49

After one week of using iOS 7, I actually like the new design much better than iOS 6. Sure, there are some rough edges here and there, but iOS 6 was pretty much stale all over. I think that the new design is a step in the right direction.

As an iOS developer, here's how I think about this:

Starting with the default iOS 6 controls, it's much harder to build a good looking app than starting with the iOS 7 controls. Using the former, you'd basically customise everything. Using the latter, I'm actually quite happy to use the default controls and let the content be the focus of my app design.