Apple WWDC 2013 Discussion Thread

What do you expect to see during the WWDC 2013 keynote?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect to see during the WWDC 2013 keynote?

• iOS 7
    • OS X 10.9
    • iTunes 12
    • Other software updates
    • Macbook Pro refresh
    • Macbook Air refresh
    • New Mac Pro
    • iMac refresh
    • iPhone 5S
    • iPhone 6
    • Budget iPhone
    • iPad 5
    • iPad Mini 2
    • Apple TV refresh
    • 'One more thing'

Everything on that list you posted was already on iOS, they're just being refined. It seems stranger to me that you'd switch out operating systems and phones (since the hardware is intrinsically linked) for what are mostly trivial features.

Well, it's a comment to what he said. It appears that he was sitting and waiting for Apple to release a new iOS/phone with features that he thought was long over due.I gave him an example that i had the same thing with Blackberry and i decided that instead of waiting so long i will switch to a different OS that has what i want/need.

Further more, it's been like this for sometime now. Apple catching up with other OS and as it seems it will keep being this way so again, instead of saying the same thing in a year, just switch to a different OS that you know will probably be a head of Apple if history will repeat it self.

Further more, it's been like this for sometime now. Apple catching up with other OS and as it seems it will keep being this way so again, instead of saying the same thing in a year, just switch to a different OS that you know will probably be a head of Apple if history will repeat it self.

Windows Phone still isn't at the level iOS is at, and Android has a gaping hole if you want your phone and desktop to work together. As you said though, it's buying into the ecosystem. If you have a Mac and an Apple TV, or an iPad already, it would be silly not to stay with the iPhone.

Windows Phone still isn't at the level iOS is at, and Android has a gaping hole if you want your phone and desktop to work together. As you said though, it's buying into the ecosystem. If you have a Mac and an Apple TV, or an iPad already, it would be silly not to stay with the iPhone.

As i said before, if you have several Apple products and you have them connected with all the data and stuff then it's hard to move to something else, it's true and a very smart move from Apple for making you stay :D

About Android and desktop, i never worked with Apple computer and iPhone and stuff together so i am not sure what you mean but working together but i can tell you that my Android phone is synced with my gmail and all the data in my calendar and stuff is synced. For me it's all i need really.

About Android and desktop, i never worked with Apple computer and iPhone and stuff together so i am not sure what you mean but working together but i can tell you that my Android phone is synced with my gmail and all the data in my calendar and stuff is synced. For me it's all i need really.

Well, iCloud drops all my pictures right into iPhoto, I can stream from my phone or my Mac right to my Apple TV. If I set an alert on my phone it will pop up on my Mac, I can receive messages on my Mac even if I don't have my phone. Soon you'll be able to sync maps, passwords, and all of your iWork documents as well. There's other things I don't use as often, but obviously Facetime from Mac to iPhone is a big feature.

Funny, reading a few articles online about what iOS 7 copied from other platforms. A lot of similarities (or things that look almost the same) but it seems not many are upset and the word "borrowed" is used a lot instead of copied. If it was the other way around and if Android did this, they would be accused of copying/stealing and be sued because of it. Just goes to prove that everyone does things like this and no one is exempt.

Funny, reading a few articles online about what iOS 7 copied from other platforms. A lot of similarities (or things that look almost the same) but it seems not many are upset and the word "borrowed" is used a lot instead of copied. If it was the other way around and if Android did this, they would be accused of copying/stealing and be sued because of it. Just goes to prove that everyone does things like this and no one is exempt.

They all borrow from one another. And well they should. A good feature is a good feature no matter who thinks of it first.

They all borrow from one another. And well they should. A good feature is a good feature no matter who thinks of it first.

And I agree. But whenever Android does something like this, they stole the idea and copied...but Apple borrows or its not that big of a deal.

I have been saying for years that everyone copies and this is how it has been for a long time.

Won't let me edit but the 3d parallax does work on a 4S nevermind

Cheers! Probably might have limited animations on the 4 due to the GPU.

Also I'm pretty sure the iOS 7 UI is still a work in progress. After all we haven't seen how the UI will look like for the iPad.

And I agree. But whenever Android does something like this, they stole the idea and copied...but Apple borrows or its not that big of a deal.

I have been saying for years that everyone copies and this is how it has been for a long time.

They have to say that for the sake of shareholders. They're pointing out that everyone else copies them because they make such awesome and desirable products; shareholders hear this and want more shares.

Like you said, everyone does it, always have, and there's no reason why they shouldn't. My only concern is when Apple blatantly copies a small time dev and kills a product that they could have easily allowed us to have in the first place (sort of like how Android allows users to make changes to the OS).

Decided with the whole os x mavericks name that we need to start coming up with 'top gun' movie quotes when we refer to it. My first one would be 'that would be a negative ghost rider, the pattern is full.'

Here's my thoughts so far:

iOS7

- The new look still needs some polishing (it is a beta afterall)

- Very unstable (camera app crashes all the time....once it even crashed the whole phone), some apps/games just don't run

- A bunch of cool features that were really needed (control center or whatever the drawer at the bottom is called is a nice touch)

OSX 10.9

- Very stable for a beta

- Skype crashes (from the look of it it uses an API wrong and it now causes an exception, downgrading to 6.0.0.2946 works like a charm)

- FINALLY proper multiple display support (only took 10 releases....)

- Removed the textures etc from apps like calendar and notes is a great thing (I always hated that)

- New Maps app is really nice

- Finder tabs is neat, I can't wait to see if I'll remember to use them though

- Can't see iBooks :/

- Tags I'm sure will be useful once I do tag my things

Xcode5

- Much more polished than Xcode4 was, looks great so far!

• Like 1

Exactly - if Apple borrows/steals/call it whatever you want, it's an innovation, and ALL the Apple fanboys will say Apple did it first. This is what I hate - misinformed fanboys following a misinformed marketing strategy. I have no problem with stealing/copying - it's just a reality at this point, just as long as you implement it in your own way. Bottom line, I don't have a problem with Apple products - it's the idiots fanboys (on any mobile OS) that are misinformed and by far Apple fanboys lead this.

Exactly - if Apple borrows/steals/call it whatever you want, it's an innovation, and ALL the Apple fanboys will say Apple did it first. This is what I hate - misinformed fanboys following a misinformed marketing strategy. I have no problem with stealing/copying - it's just a reality at this point, just as long as you implement it in your own way. Bottom line, I don't have a problem with Apple products - it's the idiots fanboys (on any mobile OS) that are misinformed and by far Apple fanboys lead this.

And that is what brand loyalty creates, extreme fanboys. Apple is one of those companies, that will borrow and idea that others have used or tried and not only markets around it but makes it better. A lot of companies don't have the brand loyalty that Apple does. There are many features that Samsung lets say may come up with, they may be new have that wow factor, but 3 months down the road it won't matter, because Apple will have regained the spotlight

With all the performance meters and tracking it appears they're taking greater advantage of d-trace which is a sign of good things to come.

Did anyone else but me notice the beginnings of landscape on the home screen? It's glitched either way, but if you turn your phone into landscape mode, the status bar and the sheets use it, while the home screen icons don't move yet. This also seems to work on the multi-tasking UI.

A couple minor things I noticed in Mavericks:

• The linen background, at least on the Dashboard, has changed to a dark gray square pattern. Reminds me a lot of the Win9x-era pattern wallpapers, and it's actually pretty nice. I've uploaded a copy here, if anyone wants it, at 2560 x 1440.
  • When you context click on an item, you now get a new Services menu which cleans up the menu, moving a lot of things into it so the main menu doesn't get as large. Notably, this seems to be where you go to set a picture as your wallpaper.

f7NZSr4cxdBFVDp1

post-119000-0-84746800-1370980703.png

post-119000-0-16876500-1370980715.png

When you context click on an item, you now get a new Services menu which cleans up the menu, moving a lot of things into it so the main menu doesn't get as large. Notably, this seems to be where you go to set a picture as your wallpaper.

f7NZSr4cxdBFVDp1

That already happens in Mountain Lion.

I never noticed that, then. Something about it still strikes me as different, maybe the placement has changed.

On the way home from work I stopped by at the Apple Store in Frankfurt today to buy a little gadget.

post-1302-0-20056400-1370984770.png

So far so good - I'm still in the process of setting it up.

Very nice! I want to get the new 11'' Air, I might sell my current Retina MBP since it's a bit more than I need.

Without those Skeuomorphism elements, it seems like every Apple app became dull all of a sudden. Everything's gray in Mavericks and everything's white in iOS. Skeuomorphism was their most differentiating UI elements from the competition. Not there anymore.

With this new radical turn, Apple will slowly losing its marketing picture IMO. They will slowly become a hybrid between Metro and Android.

Some people just can't be pleased.

"Get rid of the faux leather!"

"Okay."

"It's now too dull!"

"GAH!"

Meanwhile, the average user: Never had any issues with faux leather. Thinks the new design is nice too.

Some people just can't be pleased.

Same goes with iOS 7. People on Neowin were bitching and moaning about wanting something new without all the skeuomorphism, now that's reality they're still bitching and moaning.

I love the UI of iOS 7. It reminds me a lot of a jailbreak theme I used to use, I forget the name but it had a similar icon design. The main difference was that theme used a lot of pastel colors, iOS 7 seems to be predominately white.

I thought it might have been cool if iOS 7 used a black/dark theme on the black iPhone 5, and I briefly thought this was going to be the case because all the PR shots are using the white model. But it seems that isn't the case.