Do you perfer manual or automatic transmission?

Manual or automatic transmission?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. What do you perfer to drive in a car using manual transmission or automatic transmission?

An automatic gearbox is for people who just want to get from A to B. A manual gearbox is for people who want to drive!

Seriously though I have no issues with changing gear, just comes so naturally that I don't even think about it. Driving an automatic I'm conscious about what my left foot is doing! 

/sigh, pretty idiotic thing to say. You can still be a car enthusiast and drive a car with an automatic transmission. Hell, most of the world still drives manuals anyways (most of Asia, South America, Africa, etc.), so your post is inaccurate. The fact is there are automatic transmissions out there that will shift way faster than a human being can with a manual transmission. Even Porsche with its newest GT3 is going PDK only. But, ultimately choice is a good thing, so I wish more manufacturers would offer both transmission options (at least in performance oriented cars).

/sigh, pretty idiotic thing to say. You can still be a car enthusiast and drive a car with an automatic transmission. Hell, most of the world still drives manuals anyways (most of Asia, South America, Africa, etc.), so your post is inaccurate. The fact is there are automatic transmissions out there that will shift way faster than a human being can with a manual transmission. Even Porsche with its newest GT3 is going PDK only. But, ultimately choice is a good thing, so I wish more manufacturers would offer both transmission options (at least in performance oriented cars).

My point was the driving manual is far more engaging and dare I say it exciting than driving an automatic. It also provides far better control in icy/snowy conditions but thats not to say modern automatics are competent enough to deal with these weather conditions, automatic gearboxes are great but most car enthusiasts prefer manual simply to have the control and feel engaged with the engine.

To chime in on the "drivers gearbox" it is actually 50/50 split. The gearboxes they use in the high-end cars is more accurately described as an "automatic manaul" gearbox. (wiki semi-automatic transmission) This is a traditional manual with a clutch (autos don't have a clutch) however for these SAT gearboxes the clutch is automatically actuated. These offer drastically quicker gear changes than either auto or manual - down to fractions of a second. In terms of performance, a "well trained" driver would have the slowest performance in an auto, followed by better in a manual, and then significantly improved times with a SAT gearbox.

Back on topic however. When I was driving every day to work, for 1h in stop-start traffic I was VERY happy to have an automatic. It was easier to drive, and less wear and tear on the car (very tempting to ride the clutch in stop start traffic!). Now that I'm taking the bus to work (new job!) I am looking at getting a manaual, seeing as I don't drive often, and when I do it is because I want to drive.

Hello,

Not really. Manual cars are driven by using your left foot for the clutch and the right for brake and acceleration. So in an automatic car I'd place my left foot on the brake by habit and that could be very dangerous. When my reflex strikes I'd automatically floor the brake pedal and the acceleration pedal which will turn my engine off. People have told me one way to deal with this is by sitting onto you left foot and thus ensuring I'll use only right.

I dont know....I dont see/feel it the same way but you are free to have your argument :)

An automatic gearbox is for people who just want to get from A to B. A manual gearbox is for people who want to drive!

Ive heard that statement so many times I find it so meaningless.

"Driving" is a lot more fun with automatic as you have one less element to worry about and more time to drive (and speed if thats your sort of thing). Manual is just such a time waste.

dont understand how its a time waste. Its not like cause its manual you spend half hour more driving than automatic. I have drove automatic once, and to be honest I was scared cause I was so used to manual, i thought that the car was going to stall if I stop. This made me concentrate on my left foot to tell it not to do anything.

It really depends on the type of driving, leisure drive through the country manual, traffic or snow automatic.

with an automatic I don't have to concentrate on anything other that steering and gas...with a manual there is gear selection based on environmental variables plus clutch grab. Sure I can drive a stick as good as or better than most autos, but it does require a thought process and I would have to get in a stick again in certain environments to figure that out again, besides every car is slightly different in center of gravity, power, and traction.

Manual = fun, fun and more fun and it doesn't have to be at 100km/h, its just always fun.

Auto/DSG/Steptronic/anything that doesn't have a 3rd pedal = dull = easier to text and drive while eating a hamburger *cough*

Not learning to drive a manual is really missing out on something special whether you are a 'car person' or not. Driving/commuting is a substantial part of our lives. Once you learn and still hate it, fine, but it's worth to find the answer rather than live in ignorance.

Manual = fun, fun and more fun and it doesn't have to be at 100km/h, its just always fun.

Auto/DSG/Steptronic/anything that doesn't have a 3rd pedal = dull = easier to text and drive while eating a hamburger *cough*

You need to drive cars that cost above 80k dollars. I.don't need to get into a gtr to know that is fun, sorry no third pedal.

Sorry, just being obnoxious and laughing at the thought of high MPGs. I think I've owned one car that got over 20 MPG regularly.

Most fuel efficient car I ever had was a 2009 Ford Focus.  It had a 5 speed manual transmission.  In town driving it averaged about 35 mpg, and on the interstate doing between 60 and 70 mph it would get between 50 and 60 mpg.  It wasn't a hybrid or anything either, just a regular gasoline engine.

Hello,

I dont know....I dont see/feel it the same way but you are free to have your argument :)

Ive heard that statement so many times I find it so meaningless.

"Driving" is a lot more fun with automatic as you have one less element to worry about and more time to drive (and speed if thats your sort of thing). Manual is just such a time waste.

To each their own.  I find the driving experience to be far less fun when just pressing a pedal.  I want better control of the gears.

You need to drive cars that cost above 80k dollars. I.don't need to get into a gtr to know that is fun, sorry no third pedal.

:) ... sure that is a different level of cars, and don't have first hand experience but on the road for everyday commuting I prefer simpler cars (Manual+RWD is all you really need), even my M3, was hard to really enjoy unless doing seriously illegal stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Not learning to drive a manual is really missing out on something special whether you are a 'car person' or not. Driving/commuting is a substantial part of our lives. Once you learn and still hate it, fine, but it's worth to find the answer rather than live in ignorance.

I still don't see why manual is fun. What kind of roads do you drive in? Maybe thats why.