Photo
win8.1

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#46 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 25 January 2014 - 14:25

What are they using to get those little meters on the right?

3rd party apps by win8china, I believe it's called win8 master.

#47 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 January 2014 - 14:33

Welcome change.

But they did not go with this design beforehand and wasted development time with curent implementation. This clearly means the airheads at upper management are out of touch with reality and consumer needs and only cater to shareholder appeasement.

What a brilliant powerpoint presentation it must have been to explain the board of directors, how people will empty their purses towards store apps if it was shoved down loyal customers throats.

What?

#48 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 25 January 2014 - 14:48

▲ Figure III: the task bar properties added: "on the taskbar show application Store (that is, Windows in the Store 's" Metro ") option" one more switch, users decide whether or not to open

I'm glad this option is in there. I like having my metro apps tucked away to the left. 

I think these changes further support that the Windows 7 Start Menu isn't coming back.

Of course. If Microsoft is planning on bringing the Start Menu back, I don't think they would just dump the one from Windows 7 into Windows 8.

#49 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 25 January 2014 - 15:04

What?

Nothing.. carry on.

#50 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 January 2014 - 15:12

I'm glad this option is in there. I like having my metro apps tucked away to the left. 

Of course. If Microsoft is planning on bringing the Start Menu back, I don't think they would just dump the one from Windows 7 into Windows 8.

There's people here calling for just that, sadly.

#51 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 25 January 2014 - 15:13

WZOR must be Microsoft, or the dude is slick as hell not being caught yet.

WZOR has posted some new screen-shots of the 2014 Update, and Neowin News has also detail reported about it.

Some guys might wonder if the new power button on Start Screen would have something new (like the "Slide-to-shutdown" thing for example)......well, it's just the same like the menu from Charm Bar, as shown from this win8china blog:

are these from the final build, or is it not known/known which build?

#52 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 25 January 2014 - 15:32

WZOR must be Microsoft, or the dude is slick as hell not being caught yet.

are these from the final build, or is it not known/known which build?

They did not mention, but it's probably the same build as WZOR(compiled Jan 14.).

#53 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 January 2014 - 15:44

Looks like a lot of nice updates that probably should have been there at the start, but hey, it's only further proving the whole every other release thing. The first time they may have good ideas, but the execution is poor, the second time around they get the execution right and build something great. I'm looking forward to what they end up with in 9.

#54 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 January 2014 - 16:51

Nice changes overall though I think the right click menu they've added to the start screen for mouse users need to have the metro style added to them instead of the older desktop style IMO.   I'm very interested in what other changes they add to this update, it also points to what some are saying that Windows 9 won't be as big of an update as some think.  There could also be a second update to 8.1 later this year that adds more stuff yet again.

#55 Buendia

Buendia

Neowinian

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:15

Second, new leaked shots show that Microsoft is adding mouse-friendly and desktop-like context menus to the Start screen. I had heard about this feature generally a while back, but I can add some details here you won't read elsewhere, since seeing these shots brings together two pieces of Update 1 information I had obtained but didn't previously understand. And it goes like this:

This feature is being added to all Metro apps as well, not just to the Start screen.

http://winsupersite....d-news-pc-users

#56 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 26 January 2014 - 13:34

update1-leak3-hero1.jpg

I think the user menu | search | power are too close to each other and look just ugly.

They should put the power options in the user menu. :/ Why the ###### would anyone need a power button prominently on the screen?

#57 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 26 January 2014 - 14:02

attachicon.gifupdate1-leak3-hero1.jpg

I think the user menu | search | power are too close to each other and look just ugly.

They should put the power options in the user menu. :/ Why the **** would anyone need a power button prominently on the screen?

Because there were alot of first time Windows 8 users that took a good 30 minutes to find the option to power off/reboot. That in itself is really bad design. 

#58 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 26 January 2014 - 14:19

Because there were alot of first time Windows 8 users that took a good 30 minutes to find the option to power off/reboot. That in itself is really bad design. 

That is still a lousy reason and even pre-Win8 did not have it directly on the taskbar/desktop. I am guessing you missed my comment about putting it in the user menu.

Most of those "Windows 8 users" will need simply guide for basic things otherwise MS will have to put everything on the screen.

#59 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 26 January 2014 - 14:36

Why the **** would anyone need a power button prominently on the screen?

because we have learned in the last year that even tech savvy "power users" apparently have trouble figuring these things out.

its ok, daddy Microsoft will make it all better :pacifier:

#60 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2014 - 14:55

I just hope they fix those menus.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!