Win8china: Windows 8.1 2014 Update(Spring GDR) Expected in March, Release in BUILD

People still use the KMS method? O.o

Anyway, good to see yet another positive thing come from this new CEO and Windows. Seems like since they got rid of Ballmer they are FINALLY making the Microsoft brand good again. Windows for education is another step in the right direction :)

It'll be through WU for users but I think they're going to be selling updated versions to OEMs for use on new hardware and so on. You'll probably see new PCs for sale for the back to school period already with it installed.

Apart from the fact that 2014 Update will be available thru windows update, rumors I heard:

- ISO will be available on MSDN in March.

- RTM is 9600.17019, mother disc sent to OEM and also for making the new win8.1 DVD's(RTM literally means Release To Manufacturing, and manufacturing takes time), I have received enough backfire on this rumor, so please just ignore it if you wish, like I said, it's just a rumor. :) 

How can the RTM be 9600.17019 when 9600.17025 is still RTM Escrow? After all, it's rumored that they will compile the final RTM today. 17019 is from the 15th.

http://wzascok.livejournal.com/20613.html#comments

Bing translate

February 26 is now available a new RTM-Escrow build of Windows 8.1 Update-work kitip all ... 67174982userinfo.gif?v=17080?v=111.10wzascok February 28th, 9:47

BUILD: 9600.17031. WINBLUE_GDR. 140221-1952
Fixed bug:
Previous RTM-Escrow build of Windows 8.1 Update can result in a black screen after installing the update, if the language pack Language Interface Pack (LIP ) was selected as the primary language of the system.
The update is available to us as before as individual MSU files:

59276_900.jpg

59613_900.jpg

We are waiting for the signing of the Gold RTM ...

They're not going to give this any specific name like people want, it'll probably just show up in WU as others have "Update for Windows KBxxxxx" and that's it.  Don't expect a new version number till Windows 9.

They're not going to give this any specific name like people want, it'll probably just show up in WU as others have "Update for Windows KBxxxxx" and that's it.  Don't expect a new version number till Windows 9.

It sure is looking that way. Was hoping for a 8.2 considering the changes in this are just as big and good as the .1 update earlier

It sure is looking that way. Was hoping for a 8.2 considering the changes in this are just as big and good as the .1 update earlier

8.2 is out of the question(from what I knew, MS had never considered this option), 8.1 got a RTM no. 9600, so following MS  way for naming,  for 8.2 the build no. has to be 10000 or 10400, but win9 had been started on build 9622. :)

No new version till Windows 9 like I expected.  I wonder if we'll get a 2nd update in the fall though?  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

New Version of Windows 8.1 ADK Now Supports WimBoot

WZOR has made another leak, this time win8.1 ADK: for Windows 8.1 2014 Update build 9600.17029, @BAVO had found interesting description of "What really is Win8.1+Bing" in the help files, and this has been reported in Neowin News, - this is not freeware as previously rumored.

Another new feature in this version is "WimBoot", as described in the WZOR blog:

What?s New in ADK Windows 8.1 Update?

Windows image file boot (WIMBoot)
New for Windows 8.1 Update, devices can be configured to boot and run Windows directly from a .wim file.
This provides several benefits:
? Windows can run on smaller solid state drives
? Increases available disk space for end users
? Reduces OEM manufacturing time

To support WIMBoot, you will need updated versions of Windows PE and DISM. In addition, you will need to change some of your existing Windows customizations, recovery configurations and manufacturing workflows. This includes:

? Windows PE is updated to support WIMBoot. You will need to recreate your Windows PE images to support WIMBoot.
? DISM includes new command line parameter, such as /WIMBoot. When capturing and applying images, you must use this new parameter.
? You can use your WIM Boot image as a recovery image, saving disk space. You will have to update your recovery configuration and disk partition layout on the devices you build.

WIMBoot is only supported on Windows 8.1 Update images with the Windows 8.1 Update version of the Windows ADK.
For more information about WIMBoot, see the following topics in ADK_Online.chm file.

Create and deploy WIMBoot images:
? WIMBoot: Windows image file boot (WIMBoot)
? Create WIMBoot Images
? Deploy WIMBoot Images

DISM Command line options:
? What's New in DISM
? DISM Image Management Command-Line Options
? DISM Windows Edition-Servicing Command-Line Options

However, if you wish to try it out, there are 2 catches that you need to over-come, as described in the help files:  

*Limitations:

- WIMBoot is available for client editions of Windows 8.1 with Windows 8.1 Update only (not server versions). All architectures are supported, including amd64, x86, and ARM. Some enterprise deployment tools do not yet support WIMBoot.

- WIMBoot is available only for UEFI-based PCs running in UEFI mode (legacy BIOS-compatibility mode isn't supported).

- WIMBoot is supported for solid-state drives and eMMC (Windows HCK compliant) drives. WIMBoot isn't supported on traditional drives that contain rotational components, or on hybrid drives that contain both solid-state and rotational drive components. WIMBoot works by taking advantage of the capability of solid-state drives to access different areas of the hard drive quickly.

- It's OK to have a secondary drive attached to the PC, and the secondary drive can contain rotational components. But the WIMBoot image and pointer files must all be located on the primary solid-state or eMMC drive.

- Some backup, antivirus, and encryption tools aren?t compatible with WIMBoot images.

Well, although I could set VMWare to EFI mode, but I don't have SSD, so, it's not my toy (at least for now).  :)

By WZOR

1.MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.AND.SERVER.2012.R2.SPRING.2014.UPDATE.ADK.KIT.EEAP.ENGLISH-WZT
2. :)
4.RELEASE DATE: 02/19/2014
5.FILES: ADK_140219-1702.zip
6.SIZE: 3,182,812,377 byte
7.SHA-1: EDF880A13DBB3FA4BB9CBDB13B2CF395D3172E15
8.MD5: 9927B91EBFFDA43025D1064ECF19F091
9.NOTE: this is original M$ files.
10.EEAP - Ecosystem Engineering Access Program

By WZOR

1.MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.AND.SERVER.2012.R2.SPRING.2014.UPDATE.ADK.KIT.EEAP.ENGLISH-WZT
4.RELEASE DATE: 02/19/2014
5.FILES: ADK_140219-1702.zip
6.SIZE: 3,182,812,377 byte
7.SHA-1: EDF880A13DBB3FA4BB9CBDB13B2CF395D3172E15
8.MD5: 9927B91EBFFDA43025D1064ECF19F091
9.NOTE: this is original M$ files.
10.EEAP - Ecosystem Engineering Access Program

You better remove point No.2 before you get a warning from the mods. :)

• Like 2

:( Aww man I just wanted the update files I dont want the whole Windows 8.1 and server files.
Dangit! 
:P

Awesome to see its finally out in the wild now thou :)

:( Aww man I just wanted the update files I dont want the whole Windows 8.1 and server files.

Dangit! 

:p

Awesome to see its finally out in the wild now thou :)

If you mean the ADK, actually you only need to apply a 136MB patch to win8.1RTM ADK, you could find download in the usual place. :)

It seems that Update 1 is not included in this ADK kit or people just didn't find it yet in the archives - from mydigitallife forums.

I just went through the full 80 pages too, looks like its either part of the .iso already or its not in there. Either way a 2.8GB download just to get the update files is a bit too much for my poor capped internet :) 

SOO

Please update when Wzor leaks, without giving away the actual link of course ;)

Well I downloaded it, but I guess I have no idea what I'm looking for.

There's no ISO included in this, but in the help documation it describes how to update your images with the fource update files.

So, my guess is that the update files are not in this ADK kit. Since it asks you to update your Windows images with the .MSU files. I could't find them anywhere.

From the documention:

"Windows 8.1 Installation for OEMs

Windows 8.1 Update is released to OEMs as an MSU file and can be installed to a running Windows installation and an offline Windows image. For more information, see Install the Windows 8.1 Update."

I'm just confused that WZOR wrote this:

Installing Windows 8.1 Update
In this EEAP release, Windows 8.1 Update is available as an MSU file. You can update your existing Windows 8.1 images by applying the update.