Windows 8.1 2014 Update Leaked To Web

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#46 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 February 2014 - 00:20

Nice set of changes for keyboard and mouse users! Hopefully this is just the beginning.  :)

#47 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

Grand Master

• Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:16

I was really hoping someone from Microsoft watched this guys concepts and implemented some things from it, especially this transition animation.

#48 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:37

Is this going to be the same update that will be officially released next month or just an early build?

#49 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:39

Is this going to be the same update that will be officially released next month or just an early build?

An early build. There's no way this is gold.

#50 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:58

Why are you trying to work in Photoshop, then want windows over top of it? If you have windows over top of Photoshop, then you are not working in Photoshop...

It's not hard to imagine a use case for that. For example you have an application that spans two monitors (say, Photoshop) and one that spans only one (say, a web browser). If you can overlay the browser over photoshop, then you still see what you're working on while comparing with something you're browsing on the web.

Partially overlaying windows also leads to a very natural workflow, for instance you can switch to an application by clicking on the actual window rather than invoking some abstract (or, in the case of Metro, hidden) mechanism.

#51 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:18

It's not hard to imagine a use case for that. For example you have an application that spans two monitors (say, Photoshop) and one that spans only one (say, a web browser). If you can overlay the browser over photoshop, then you still see what you're working on while comparing with something you're browsing on the web.

Partially overlaying windows also leads to a very natural workflow, for instance you can switch to an application by clicking on the actual window rather than invoking some abstract (or, in the case of Metro, hidden) mechanism.

I'd hardly call overlaying windows "natural". It's like trying to work with a stack of documents: They work best when laid next to each other, not over top each other.

#52 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 with Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:18

I wish they would make it like the Mac has it, there is a full screen button. You could modern mix metro apps, or modern desktop apps, by having them each run in their own desktop environment (looking like windows with no explorer.exe)

#53 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:21

I wish they would make it like the Mac has it, there is a full screen button. You could modern mix metro apps, or modern desktop apps, by having them each run in their own desktop environment (looking like windows with no explorer.exe)

I wish they had that too. There are a few things I wish they would copy from apple like Finder (explorer basically) with the tabbed interface.

#54 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:29

I'd hardly call overlaying windows "natural". It's like trying to work with a stack of documents: They work best when laid next to each other, not over top each other.

But if you're working on several things on a crowded desk then you like to stack and overlay things so that you see everything you need, not according to some rigid arbitrary rules forbidding you from ever overlapping two things or having more than 2 or 3 things visible at a time.

#55 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:44

I'd hardly call overlaying windows "natural". It's like trying to work with a stack of documents 

Really:/

Attached Images

• stock-photo-13692063-men-filling-out-documents-on-a-desk.jpg

#56 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:59

Really:/

Really. Efficiency is having your work laid out in front of you ready to go, not buried beneath other things. 

#57 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:11

Efficiency is having your work laid out in front of you ready to go, 

Honestly, if Metro works for you in that way, then that's great. I'll stick to having my documents "inefficiently" overlap.

#58 Raa

Raa

Resident something-or-rather

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:50

The news you saw earlier was in regards to Microsoft booting to the desktop by default. This build doesn't have all the bits in place that drive that feature/change.

That was what I asked when someone gave me a snarky reply. Thank you for clarifying the exact situation. :)

So possibly this leak isn't final, and the "by default" feature may be implemented... Hmm.

#59 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:09

Really. Efficiency is having your work laid out in front of you ready to go, not buried beneath other things. 

You don't even acknowledge the counter-examples given to you in the very posts you reply to.  :/

#60 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:34

That doesn't allow a maximized application to hide the taskbar; it's the taskbar that'll actually hide the application, partially, when you bring it up.

article-0-03CD191C000005DC-662_468x326.j

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!